Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have looked high and low, on this forum, JKF, JKO, even WOL (ugh). Haven't found a sufficient answer to my questions, thus the post.

I'm looking at upgrading my current suspension to coilovers, need some feedback on various kits/builders.

CURRENTLY
I am in a JKU-WW, with a 2.5" metalcloak-based frankenlift. It currently weighs in at about 6200lbs. Getting out of the Army and moving back home to Idaho, where there is a lot less crawling and a lot more awesome views on trails.
In the next 4 months, I am planning on upgrading to a D44 based on DV8's new housing, RCV shafts and Reid Racing knuckles (also going to need some assistance there, but that is for another thread. Please PM me if you're good with building axles).

MY GOAL:

A coilover system that will meet the following criteria:

15 days per year: rock crawling in Moab, Rubicon, mayyyybe JV, etc.
60 days per year: high-speed off road on old logging trails, desert trails and bad roads with washboard, tight turns and a surface from loose dirt to large (fist sized) gravel.
120 days per year: snow and ice-covered roads, both paved and nasty (See above).
170 days per year: groceries. on terrible pavement.
I intend to do lots of overnight trips off road into the mountains of Idaho (lovely place, you should visit).

Preferences:

Willing to mix and match parts in order to get long arms and a good ride.
Preference towards Fox, but I've only seen them offered as a Coilover in TNT's system.
(http://www.offroadshocks.com/product/Fox-Remote-Reservoir-Coilovers-2-5/980-02-107.html)
Would like to stay under $10,000 installed (EVO's DTD is out of the question, unfortunately).

LOOKING AT:

o
Rock Krawler's Rock Runner Stage 2.
o EVO Double D Pro
o Rebel Recon
o TNT Customs' Coilover Conversion
o ICON Coilover conversion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Addendum:

I'd love to couple Fox shocks with Eibach springs, but I frankly am dumbfounded by the math involved to do it properly.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Check with the guys over on Wayalife, they all have the same setups, mostly King. They live for Rocks........

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check with the guys over on Wayalife, they all have the same setups, mostly King. They live for Rocks........
Issue I have with them is they push EVO so hard that they would not be able to give me a straight answer. I've seen some of the members over there get downright nasty to other manufacturers.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
Yes I know about that! The Admin called me a few choice names because I disagreed with him and his pals. But if you fall inline with them your golden, it was just an suggest to get ideas...............

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Wayalife is terrible for about a million reasons! Eddy is an extortionist.

Well, it all depends on how in depth you want to get. There are bolt on setups that are simple to install but dont perform as well as weld on stuff because the bolt on's make compromises.

I really like rock krawler's stuff. Cutting off the old coil buckets and welding in the new coilover towers is required in the front. That's really the hardest part. Took me damn near a whole day to get mine off. The company has great customer service and the parts are good. I really cant speak about the others.

The thing about coilovers is that there is no "one size fits all" springrate. You might get it installed and find that you only have 2" of uptravel, then you get to play with springs. 6200lbs is a heavy jeep. My 2 door only weighs 4800. Call up rock krawler and pick their brain.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Seems like a lot of money to be spending on suspension and then going with an un-proven axle design that isn't THAT much cheaper than it's competitors that are proven.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like a lot of money to be spending on suspension and then going with an un-proven axle design that isn't THAT much cheaper than it's competitors that are proven.
I was talking it over with a buddy who builds KOH rigs.. He likes it. Good enough for me to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does nobody have any of these kits??

·
Registered
76 Posts
You missed a day. Don't forget about February 29th. Or is that your one lazy day per 4 years?

I have EVO's bolt on kit. But since it has been only on my Jeep for a few weeks it wouldn't be fair for me to say too much and obviously i cant possibly have an opinion on the others. I am also still running MC short arms for now as well though they work just fine. What I can say for sure is the installation is fairly easy. Definitely some cutting and maybe a lot of cursing but ultimately it really isnt bad. I can say that I love it so far but as you probably know the increased quality in ride is not directly proportionate to the cost. I had a 2.5" AEV lift before and i liked that too. The EVO lift is better but not 5 times better. Yet here i am. Those King shocks are downright sexy.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You missed a day. Don't forget about February 29th. Or is that your one lazy day per 4 years?

I have EVO's bolt on kit. But since it has been only on my Jeep for a few weeks it wouldn't be fair for me to say too much and obviously i cant possibly have an opinion on the others. I am also still running MC short arms for now as well though they work just fine. What I can say for sure is the installation is fairly easy. Definitely some cutting and maybe a lot of cursing but ultimately it really isnt bad. I can say that I love it so far but as you probably know the increased quality in ride is not directly proportionate to the cost. I had a 2.5" AEV lift before and i liked that too. The EVO lift is better but not 5 times better. Yet here i am. Those King shocks are downright sexy.
Definitely one lazy day every 4 years ;)

And thanks for the feedback!
In your onion, was the cost of the upgrade worth it, even if not directly proportional?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely one lazy day every 4 years ;)

And thanks for the feedback!
In your onion, was the cost of the upgrade worth it, even if not directly proportional?
Probably not. Especially since i wont be using it nearly as much as it sounds like you will for what its meant (yes i have fun with some rock crawling and trail riding but not near as many days as you list). But I would do it again. Ego and pride sometimes trump common and fiscal sense.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably not. Especially since i wont be using it nearly as much as it sounds like you will for what its meant (yes i have fun with some rock crawling and trail riding but not near as many days as you list). But I would do it again. Ego and pride sometimes trump common and fiscal sense.
Most of the off road days will be heading to and from job sites :) thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any other feedback? Anyone?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Which EVO bolt on kit did you install ?
Are you still happy with the Coilover system ?

Im also looking to upgrade my suspension and was on the verge of getting the Fox 2.0 adjustable Reservoir 4-6" shocks but for 3x that I can install the EVO bolt on kit - just looking for other opinions

1 - 20 of 22 Posts