Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks what do you think is one better than the other or do they compliment each other. So Power Chip or Intake. Im looking to see what ways to generate a few more ponies

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
what model / engine?

for some reason a lot of people are against the cold air intake and chips??
I have a K&N FIPK and notice a difference in response.

essentially...

CAI: Intake mods should probably be followed with throttle body upgrades, and or exhaust upgrades. helping the engine breath better is going to add efficiency and make the work it performs easier. You won't notice a lot of power increase from a CAI but you may notice some, mostly you will notice throttle response.

Chipping: Chipping generally re-tunes the engine for a specific purpose. You may see gains in certain areas but that will create losses in others. The most common effect of a chip is to re-tune the engine to more readily handle a higher octane fuel, thus giving it a slight power increase.

I would probably go intake stand alone, or intake and chip.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did both and it wasnt worth it too much for too little spend it some where else I have a banks and a hypertech if I had to choose id keep the banks

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Guess I hit the enter button too fast.

There are a lot of threads on this forum about them.
Basically, the Jeep breaths just fine stock, CAI systems do nothing.
Chip can change shift points, and adjust the spedo against gear/tire changes, they can't boost HP.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I went with the Edge Trail Jammer kit, cold air intake, larger throttle body, and "inline" computer (to modify signals to and from PCM). I noticed quite a large boost in performance, primarily throttle response and high rpm pull (and don't need to run premium fuel).

The benefit of a larger throttle body is quite debatable (I probably wouldn't get one if it wasn't in the kit).

The only downside I've had with this set-up is that it is LOUD at idle. Primarily COLD-high idle. A high pitch whistle like a supercharger or something. It's ok once warmed up on regular idle.

I reduced some of the whistle by porting/polishing the idle passages in the T-body.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
i'm pretty sure there are a few people on this site that would love to sell you their CAI or trade you for your stock intake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts