Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best recommended cold air intake out there? And does anyone have a throddle body spacer install? What do you gain performance? Please let me know thank you

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If you do a search here, you'll find a number of threads that show CAI owners get a proven increase in engine noise and less money in their wallet. Some owners 'feel' they have a more responsive engine, but no one [including the companies that make the CAIs] can provide independent dynamometer testing results, done under the scientific method and by an independent testing firm that prove increased MPG, increased HP, Increased TQ, etc.

Remember that more air in, requires more air out. If you don't address the intake, the engine, and the exhaust loops in a properly engineered engine simultaneously, you are wasting money.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
What is the best recommended cold air intake out there? And does anyone have a throddle body spacer install? What do you gain performance? Please let me know thank you
A Snorkel is one way to pull truly cold air into the engine. A cold air intake that is under the hood will still be pulling warmed air. The ram air effect of a snorkel (if it's set up that way) may give some performance enhancements.

A throttle body spacer will yield little no measurable gain in the RPM range where you'll operate the Jeep. There may be some additional gain at very high RPM.

If you have larger than stock tires, the way to gain performance is to regear your differentials. The other option, if you're geared properly, is forced induction. Ripp Superchargers makes a nice kit for the JK's that lend nice gains. I'm sure you can find a dyno sheet with a search.

Let me know what questions you have or if you'd like a quote on anything!

-Ryan

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The only thing that will yield noticeable results not necessarily a measurable improvement in performance is a Sprint Booster or a programmer, both of which can reduce the throttle lag making it more responsive. Removing the lag makes the engine feel more lively and in control of your ponies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup, waste of money. I wish I would have known about this forum and did some more research before I shelled out $140 on a CAI. I bought a K&N CAI, intalled it, and.....nothing. Yes, it's a little louder and my MPG went up about 1 MPG, but nothing life changing happened. If there's any extra horsepower, it's so small that you won't notice. Acceleration is still the same. The MPG might be due to driving habits too. (I checked when my wife was in the jeep and I tend to drive a little more sanely with her around). If I was going to put a positive spin on all this, I'll save money on air filters. In about a thousand years or so, my CAI will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with most, installed CAI and throttle body spacer and really didn't notice any improvement. Waste of time and $. If you install bigger tires and wheels just re-gear it and a programer, you get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts