Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a cold air intake in my 01 TJ sport because im looking to save some gas mileage, even if it is a tiny bit. one question, what all do i need? I mean i know what a cold air intake is but ive only seen them done in trucks and cars in person. is it any different in Jeeps?

·
Registered
908 Posts
The difference is that they dont work in jeeps. because the stock air intake is more than good enough for the 4.0 engine and the 2.5 so there's no way to improve on it. If you just want it to sound good that's another story.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
so you're trying to save $1 every 250 miles, and the way to do that is install a $300 part? a $300 part that lets dust, dirt and junk into your engine, and still pulls in the same hot air from the engine compartment?

good luck :flipoff:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you're trying to save $1 every 250 miles, and the way to do that is install a $300 part? a $300 part that lets dust, dirt and junk into your engine, and still pulls in the same hot air from the engine compartment?

good luck :flipoff:
no need to be fiesty man, ive only worked on other cars and trucks with them, thats why i asked this quetion. and idt a cold air intake is 300 dollars enless u buy the whole kit, if u dont buy the kit, its less

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a banks cai on my 05 rubicon. i really do like mine. as far as gas mileage goes i dont know. i never put a pendcil to it, but i do like the throttle response and the way it sounds.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mind had the full K&N kit on it when I bought it

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have a throttle body spacer, and a cai is in the future. From past experience (None Jeep vehicles) A cai & tbs make difference in the power, shift points and mileage. To say I got an extra 500hp and 50 mpg, it didn't happen. An extra 1-2 mpg, it happened, and just enough extra power to change the shift points.

Stu Olson's site has a build of putting a cai up through the cowl. I think this would be a true cai.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge CAI with the throttle body spacer on my '05 and I love the throttle response and sound. Got it from Quadratec. I think I'm gonna find one for my '98 also but still considering that.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I would advise doing some technical research. A TB spacer CAN DO NOTHING on a fuel injected engine.

Shift points are programmed into the PCM based on RPM and throttle. No affect on air consumption, ait temp or net HP is going to change shift points.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks dbbd1 , that was a good link ! Spectre Performance 9943 - Spectre Performance Cold Air Induction Filter System for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L Engine - Quadratec
I have been looking at the banks, cause it is mostly enclosed, but this cold air kit looks nice ! Has anyone done this where you drill a hole in the firewall/cowl? I drilled a hole in the roof of my house once to put in an attic fan, can't be any worse, right? Is this design better for keeping out muddy water/dirt ? Thanks for any help on this cold air from the cowl idea.

·
Registered
466 Posts
U don't see much increase on the tj but u do on a yj. The tj box is already moved away from the exhaust manifold allowing cooler air to enter anyway. Not so on a yj hence the increase. But if u want to go that route just make one and save some cash. I made mine for $30. Plus I put a turbo exhaust on mine ( more air in more air out)

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmmm...I like the idea but what happens if it rains...I mean I'm in Ohio, its not gonna monsoon, but would anyone be worried about all the water your motor would be sucking up if it was pouring down rain??
x2

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have seen them all and installed them all as a manager for 4 wheel parts (in the past) and I would have to say if you go through a lot of mud go witht the Banks CAI. bc it is enclosed and protects it form water and mud. If you just want your motor to breath better, I read a article in JP magazine that said AFE CAI produced the most power and whould most likely get you the most gas mileage. From my own personal experience my previous Wrangler was a 98 4.0 and i put a snorkle with a K&N filter and saw gains of 2mpg believe it or not I was getting 18mpg on 35's with 456 gears. I beleve it has to do with the cleaner colder air a snorkle can give you. So if you like the way those look that would be your best bet im sure. And I would like to recommend a EDGE programmer and throttle body set up which I now have on MY current TJ and I really think it is awesome it really wakes a Jeep up. It really helps get my 37's turning, and better milage too I get 17mpg w/o a cold air intake. But w/ Fabtech exhaust.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I read a article in JP magazine that said AFE CAI produced the most power and whould most likely get you the most gas mileage.
Did you miss this part of the article?
Pete Trasborg from JP Magazine said:
Sometime between the last test and this one, we had formed a working theory that it wasn't so much the air filter as the air tube that makes the power in these kits. With most, if not all, aftermarket air intakes, the air filter itself can flow more air than the Jeep can use. Sure, there are varying degrees of restriction from one filter to the next, but on a stock 4.0l engine we just aren't convinced that a significant result will be seen at the wheels from the air filter alone.

It really helps get my 37's turning, and better milage too I get 17mpg w/o a cold air intake. But w/ Fabtech exhaust.
What gears, engine & tranny you running with those 37s?

With a 4.0L, 5-speed that should be 5.13s, with a 3-speed auto probably 4.88s, and with a 4-speed 42RLE, probably 5.89s. If you really want to wake your jeep up, install proper gearing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
While spacers can perform miracles when placed under a carburetor or the older style throttle body injection systems, they do nothing for the type of throttle bodies used on 1991 and newer jeeps. Modern throttle bodies pass nothing but air so making that airpath longer will do nothing for performance.

And personally, I would not waste my money on CAI system either. :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I installed a Mopar CAI when gas prices went up a couple of years a go and didn't notice much of a difference. I'd save your money for the gas.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts