Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 6 cyl.
Auto Trans.
Now that cold weather is here my Jeep hates to start. When the temp drops into the twenties (or below), I have to sit in the jeep for about 10 minutes with my foot on the gas to prevent it from stalling. No fast idle. After the engine warms up a bit it idles fine. My jeep lived in Florida for the first half of it's life but now that it lives in Vermont it's cold blooded. Is there a quick and easy fix?? Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your throttle position sensor is responsible for that. The computer will know the temp and adjust the TPS to idle at a higher rpm until warm. If it wont idle and you have to sit in the rig to do so. I would wager to say that is the issue. simple to replace, takes the star type driver.

Take it to your local parts store and have it scanned. or have a peice of paper and pen ready and do it yourself with the ignition.

How to display the codes:

Turn the ignition key On - Off - On - Off - On within 5 seconds

Count the number of times the check engine lamp on the dash flashes on and off.

The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual two digit trouble codes.

Example: Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, and flashes 5 more times. This indicates a code number 55. A code 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This will indicate the end of all stored codes.

Also, the code numbers will be displayed on the vehicle's odometer. Each number will be displayed with a slight delay between numbers. Again, code 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This method will work for Jeeps up to 1997.

then go here and check for the code:
Jeep TJ Diagnostic Codes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts