Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 2 Door Sport running a 4” lift And the 6 speed manual and when I first start the Jeep after sitting over night or even for a couple hours and go to drive away, I get this metal on metal bearing type noise that lasts 1st-3rd gears and gets worse/louder under acceleration then once I’ve been driving for a minute or two and it warms up the noise goes away completely. I have an Adam’s extended driveshaft, new u-joints up front, axles were just checked and had fluids changed with no problems, I have no shifting problems or any performance issues other than this loud annoying noise that sounds like a bag of metal marbles shaking about. As far as I can tell its coming from the front axle area but the only thing that is not new bearing or joint wise is the front pinion flange.

Any ideas on what to check? Thanks in advance

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I have a 2010 2 Door Sport running a 4” lift And the 6 speed manual and when I first start the Jeep after sitting over night or even for a couple hours and go to drive away, I get this metal on metal bearing type noise that lasts 1st-3rd gears and gets worse/louder under acceleration then once I’ve been driving for a minute or two and it warms up the noise goes away completely. I have an Adam’s extended driveshaft, new u-joints up front, axles were just checked and had fluids changed with no problems, I have no shifting problems or any performance issues other than this loud annoying noise that sounds like a bag of metal marbles shaking about. As far as I can tell its coming from the front axle area but the only thing that is not new bearing or joint wise is the front pinion flange.

Any ideas on what to check? Thanks in advance
Throwout bearing?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about the TOB as well but the noise is constant and is not impacted by the clutch being depressed or used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about the TOB as well but the noise is constant and is not impacted by the clutch being depressed or used.
Flywheel been looked at?
I have not had anything done transmission wise since I’ve owned the jeep and I am unsure if anything was ever changed before I bought it. Could very well be something with the flywheel but I’d suspect more vibration to come with flywheel issues.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I have not had anything done transmission wise since I’ve owned the jeep and I am unsure if anything was ever changed before I bought it. Could very well be something with the flywheel but I’d suspect more vibration to come with flywheel issues.
With the little bit of information you've given us, with no pictures or sound clips, it's hard to troubleshoot. If I had a 10 year old manual, I'd be checking off clutch/flywheel/flexplate/TOB issues based on what you're describing. Driveshafts and u-joint noises typically don't just go away when things warm up.

Other possibility is the transmission itself, it there are possible gear issues. You say it shifts ok, so that's probably unlikely. Some sound clips would help a lot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the little bit of information you've given us, with no pictures or sound clips, it's hard to troubleshoot. If I had a 10 year old manual, I'd be checking off clutch/flywheel/flexplate/TOB issues based on what you're describing. Driveshafts and u-joint noises typically don't just go away when things warm up.

Other possibility is the transmission itself, it there are possible gear issues. You say it shifts ok, so that's probably unlikely. Some sound clips would help a lot.
I will try to get some sound clips soon and post them up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts