Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old reliable 2.5 tj wouldn't fire up this morning. It's the first time this year that we have dropped below zero.... I know deep cold is hard on every motor but not starting is not an option in my line of work.

My battery is great, the jeep cranked fine and caught every once and a while but wouldn't stay running and eventually flodded out. I tried to clear it out by pulling the fuel pump relay but it was a lost cause.

The check list from past automotive experience would be: IAC, fuel pressure, water temp sensor, ignition system, then maybe clean the injectors.

My ignition system got its 100kmile overhaul recently but I may replace plugs now anyway.

Anything jeep specific I should add to the must check list?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
How full is your tank? Did condensation water freeze in your lines/injectors? Did you try something like drygas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank should be more than half full. (Fuel level sensor is dead I go by mileage)

I have not heard of many water in lines problems since the gas around here has so much alcohol in it and tends to absorb the water that would have collected in the old pure gas days. Maybe at very low temps it could precipitate out... But I seem to have plenty of gas by the smell of things.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
True most gas is winterized better these days. But your symptoms do sound like bad gas to me, so I was throwing it out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went out after the last post and tried to get it fired up. The temperature is up in the teens now so it has run in those conditions before.

It will fire and sometime catch for a second or two but stumble out very quickly. Giving it any throttle seems to kill it.

I'm going to winch it into the garage and try to warm it up but it now seems like an issue that's exaserbated by the cold rather than just a below zero problem.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Did you try holding the accelerator down while cranking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give it a try. On many OBD 2 systems that would shut off the injectors. Can anyone confirm if that is the case for the tjs ?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My '06 with the 4.0 will start when holding the accelerator slightly open. Had to do that when the IAC stuck.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I had similar symptoms in my wife's XJ and cleaning the IAC valve fixed it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took off the throttle body and IAC and clean everything up. It's down in the single digits today and it fired right up afterwards. Tomorrow morning will be a trial by fire, driving it to work in the impending snow.

There seems to be a larger problem. Everything in the throttle body and intake manifold is completely caked in oil crud and there is even oil pooling in the intake manifold.

This throttle body has only been on for about 29k miles so I am a little disturbed by what I am seeing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah, that was definitely gunked up.

Looks like you need to check the PCV system. Mine are 4.0s, so I'm not sure if the 4 cyl has the same setup. The 6 cyl uses a small orifice, instead of a valve, that can clog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
my 97 2.5 was in the same shape when I took off my tb. I seen the oil and don't know what was up. I checked the brass fitting orifice and it wasn't clogged. so I'm not sure what to do myself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts