Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is vinyl the best way to change colors on the jk without going all in with a reprint? Any other thoughts? I bought a white jk because it was the best deal I could find. I love the jeep, but really not liking the color.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
I think vinyl graphics can look really cool and be cheaper. BUT they will fade faster. So in the long run might be cheaper to paint, bed line, kevlar, etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
@Razzer a buddy of mine owns a company that wraps anything and everything you can think of. They have won numerous competitions world wide and are obviously one of the best in the business.

I've seen a couple of their Jeeps they've wrapped and they turned out amazing.

Are you located near St. Louis, Mo? If so, let me know and I can get you in touch with them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I hate dealing with paint issues so much, that I bought a Jeep to avoid door dings, and fenders/bumper hits, scratches, etc. But if I had it my way, I would have liked some type of indestructible body coating, no shine needed.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Is vinyl the best way to change colors on the jk without going all in with a reprint? Any other thoughts? I bought a white jk because it was the best deal I could find. I love the jeep, but really not liking the color.
I live in the suburbs of NYC, I saw a wrap done on a white jeep to pink, and it looked painted, cost $2K. Repaint would be at least $7K. I would not compromise the integrity of the stock finish and sell or trade the jeep for the color I wanted if it was that important to me.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I live in the suburbs of NYC, I saw a wrap done on a white jeep to pink, and it looked painted, cost $2K. Repaint would be at least $7K.
$7K for paint? it aint a show car, its a jeep... just take it over to Earl Scheib pick it up later that same day... any car, any color, just $19.95.

I would not compromise the integrity of the stock finish and sell or trade the jeep for the color I wanted if it was that important to me.
um, why not?
but more to the point, why would you even bother to compromise the integrity? just rough up the surface, lay down a sealer, prime and paint over the old paint... easy peasy...

·
Registered
938 Posts
what about using the white as a 'base' color, and adding some mat black accents like these:

and maybe something on the hood like:

I think that mat black + white may look really good...

all for the low low price of less than $300 from Extreme Terrain... (assuming XTryan was mean and made you pay full price... of course he isn't mean, so there would probably be a discount so really, less than, less than $300? but that sounds strange)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've seen some pretty awesome white Jeeps. They take on a totally different personality as the mods start piling on. They are also very photogenic. :thumb:

Might look at some white JKs with mods similar to what you are looking at first.

There are some awesome wraps out there for sure, but they could detract from the looks of some modifications you are thinking of.

Good luck with your choice! :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the input. I've considered using the white as a base, and build on that with contrasts. I have black wheels, so that should look good with most any color. I'll do some paint shop playing and see if I like something.
Unless I find someone that wands to swap doors, hood, etc ....... Yeah, I know, not! Lol

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I did Plastidip on my GT500 and it came out awesome. I bought the kit from dipyourcar and it came with the spray gun, compressor, 3 gallons of dip, and other various prep things.

Obviously I never took it down trails so I have no personal experience on how it holds up to tree limbs. I do know a guy who wheels his 4Runner all the time and has had it dipped for 2 years. He said it's done pretty well, only requiring the occasional touch up.

I am probably going to dip my Jeep "camo tan" in the near future to protect the paint on the trail.

All in, the kit cost me about $300. I did 7 coats on the Shelby. When I do it again, since I already have the spray gun, it will cost me less than $200.

gt500.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dipped my entire wrangler almost two years ago and it's held up flawlessly. I do moderate off roading monthly without issue. I paid a place to do it and it was 600. I wanted a fairly unique look so went with a teal color and left it completely matte. For the price I thought about mixing up the color every other year but love the teal so going to stay with it for a bit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I live in the suburbs of NYC, I saw a wrap done on a white jeep to pink, and it looked painted, cost $2K. Repaint would be at least $7K. I would not compromise the integrity of the stock finish and sell or trade the jeep for the color I wanted if it was that important to me.
This one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
TheScott,

I'm new and saw your post about the wraps. I'm interested in learning more about your buddies shop in the St. Louis area.

·
Commercial Member
295 Posts
Here is my white one. Did the top half black metallic and reflective blue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts