Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
so I've been wanting to get color changing headlights and have no clue which to get. I've found some but they have no reviews so i have no clue if they're good or not : JK Jeep Wrangler 2007-2015 ColorMorph Color Changing Halo's – Apoc Industries

if those aren't any good, can anyone recommend me decent ones? (not too expensive either)
From the looks of it those aren't so much headlights as they are halo rings. Know that doesn't really help. If you're looking for a legitimate color changing headlight, I can't say I've ever seen one. Most are single color if they even have color.

·
Registered
339 Posts
baking headlights is pretty common amongst most cars when modifying headlights. It allows you to soften up the sealer used to hold the pieces together so that you can pull it apart to access the inside. You can also use a heat gun as well. Either method, you need to be very careful so you don't melt anything. Low and Slow... I've done it a few times back when I had my old Mazda 6. But if you plan to add halos to the stock housings that is what you will need to do to get inside of them, no matter what brand you go with.

You don't hear or see much about that in the Jeep world though. It's usually more based around import tuners etc that add stuff that would require you to bake your headlights.

Considering the price of those tuner looking halos, You'd be better off buying a set of 7" LED Headlights with color halos already inside the housing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
baking headlights is pretty common amongst most cars when modifying headlights. It allows you to soften up the sealer used to hold the pieces together so that you can pull it apart to access the inside. You can also use a heat gun as well. Either method, you need to be very careful so you don't melt anything. Low and Slow... I've done it a few times back when I had my old Mazda 6. But if you plan to add halos to the stock housings that is what you will need to do to get inside of them, no matter what brand you go with.

You don't hear or see much about that in the Jeep world though. It's usually more based around import tuners etc that add stuff that would require you to bake your headlights.

Considering the price of those tuner looking halos, You'd be better off buying a set of 7" LED Headlights with color halos already inside the housing.
I knew my signature would come in handy one of these days. The concept of baking the headlights makes perfect sense to me, but my concern would be waterproofing afterwards. Is that not a factor?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
so I've been wanting to get color changing headlights and have no clue which to get. I've found some but they have no reviews so i have no clue if they're good or not : JK Jeep Wrangler 2007-2015 ColorMorph Color Changing Halo's – Apoc Industries

if those aren't any good, can anyone recommend me decent ones? (not too expensive either)
Sorry I don't have any recommendation, just be aware of your local laws and regulations. Here in VA, headlights are not allowed to be of certain color temperatures (not that I've ever heard of anyone being stopped for them, and I see plenty of blue/purple 12000Kelvin lights on older imports, usually combined with ridiculous camber/4x4 wheels and plenty of plastic bits straight out of the Autozone "accessory" aisle stuck to the fenders and hood). Just something to be aware of, as every state has their own regulations regarding what is/is not allowed as far as forward-facing lighting is concerned.

O_E

·
Registered
339 Posts
I knew my signature would come in handy one of these days. The concept of baking the headlights makes perfect sense to me, but my concern would be waterproofing afterwards. Is that not a factor?
What you do after is scrape away all of the sealant from both ends of the housing. Apply some new sealant there, put it all back together and re bake it a final time to soften it up to fill in any loose gaps.

If it's done correctly it should seal back up just fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
alright that sounds good and makes sense. do you know an nice brands or have a link to a specific one?
Depends on how much you want to spend. You can buy a set of knock off's that several people run for about $150-$300 a set or you can get a some decent brand ones from between $400-$800 (like JW Speaker etc)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts