Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be bringing my JK into the body shop this spring to get some bumps and bruises repaired. One of the things that currently annoys me are the mirror dings I have on the cowl. I was thinking of having the body shop repair that for me, or see if they could do a paintless dent repair.

I know many have just went out and purchased cowl covers to hide the dings which I've considered as well. I'm also thinking if I have the dings repaired I'm highly likely to ding them again, since the OEM cowls are like tinfoil and the covers might be a little more durable. The thing I don't like is putting on a bunch of black bolted on looking items on my JK. I like to keep it looking as stock as possible without it being stock. So I was considering having the body shop paint a pair of cowl covers to color match the body color.

Has anyone done this, and do you have pics so I can see how it looks?

Thinking of painting these to color match body color.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok if it helps any, I've also decided to mount a pair of these as well. Purchased from and made by a fellow forum member @skewzme right here in the good ole U.S.A. It's Great stuff.:thumb:

.........Now I should get some quality/quantity responses. :D

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
........and did I mention that I recently purchased some LED Headlights off of ebay for $100 that look alot like JW Speakers and am having some problems where oncoming traffic keep flashing their brights at me, and when I go to use my brights they seem like they're going to spontaneously combust and I could really use some advise on how to fix those problems?

·
Registered
36 Posts
had the "jeep dent" on my passenger side cowl removed by a paintless dent repair guy..(my "Jeep buddy" did it when we were putting my doors back on, he neglected to hook up the door strap) he said it was a pretty bad one, but he got it all the way out!

I wouldn't put those ugly cowl covers on my Jeep!
and unless those guns are fully functional, I'd leave them off.... haha!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
:winner:

I have the cowl covers in black...they're okay, but they are raised and very obvious to me that they're not part of the original Jeep (maybe it's in my head...but I know there's a dent under each side).
Not sure if color matching would help...I do think they look much better if you have other 'assorted' add ons.
It didn't bother me much when I had the 50" lightbar and mounts...but it was causing lots of soft top flutter so I took it off for the season and the cowl covers just stand out.
Here it is with the light bar mounts. I'll have to snap a photo of it without...
Capture.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, now you guys have me leaning away from the cowl covers which is the type of advise I'm looking for.

How do the cowl covers mount on? Are they just some peel off and stick on or some other way they attach?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had the "jeep dent" on my passenger side cowl removed by a paintless dent repair guy..(my "Jeep buddy" did it when we were putting my doors back on, he neglected to hook up the door strap) he said it was a pretty bad one, but he got it all the way out!

I wouldn't put those ugly cowl covers on my Jeep!
and unless those guns are fully functional, I'd leave them off.... haha!
I'm hoping a paintless repair guy can do mine. I just had a couple quarter size door dings taken out on another vehicle and those turned out great.

My driver side cowl started off as a single Jeep dent and then I listened to a forum member who used a broom handle to push the dimple back into place from the inside. I gave that a shot, where the result was when I was pushing on the backside of the dent with the broom handle, it would slip off the crest of the dent which in turn created a small upward dent next to the inward dimple dent. I gave that 2 tries with the same result and gave up, realizing this was a bad idea. So I now have 1 Jeep dent and 2 small upward dents in the nearby vicinity for the paintless dent guy to evaluate.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks, now you guys have me leaning away from the cowl covers which is the type of advise I'm looking for.

How do the cowl covers mount on? Are they just some peel off and stick on or some other way they attach?
Most are just 3M tape that you peel and stick. Mine have been on for about 6 months and I'm not sure they'll come off if I wanted them to.

My reasoning was the same as yours and had PDR done once to fix a dent that I caused by installing the lightbar (oops, I dropped it). Worked out fine, but a few months later I was installing some electronic items and had both front doors open with the straps removed. To keep them from flapping around, I used a couple of bungee cords to keep them semi tight against the Jeep.
Low and behold, I had 2 nice creases/dents in the cowls AGAIN! The bungee cords weren't that tight and the mirrors didn't slam into the cowl. That's when I went the route of the covers...figured that's the only way to NOT have dents there as the factory cowls are made from Fotal (faux metal) or something like tin.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that was the exact same scenario I was hoping to try and avoid of paying to get it fixed and turn around and accidentally get the same thing, since the OEM cowl covers seem so soft and easy to dent.

Maybe I'll see if I can find an inexpensive set of cowl covers which are made of metal and a can of Duplicolor factory color match rattle can paint and some rattle can clear coat, just to see if I would like the look or not. If I like it, and don't like the paint job, then I may have the shop do a proper paint job on them. If I don't like them, then to the trash with them and then get some paintless repair done and try to be extra careful.

It currently seems I may be pioneering this path.

P.S. I'm thinking I like a smooth surface cover like the Bushwacker covers....without their damn logo on it. Probably going to have some difficulties finding something like that which is inexpensive and made of metal. I would even go with the Bushwackers if it didn't have their logo stamped on it.

What the heck was Bushwacker thinking? Hey, cover up your cowl so you don't have to look at those mirror dents but instead replace that dent with our logo name.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
........and did I mention that I recently purchased some LED Headlights off of ebay for $100 that look alot like JW Speakers and am having some problems where oncoming traffic keep flashing their brights at me, and when I go to use my brights they seem like they're going to spontaneously combust and I could really use some advise on how to fix those problems?
Cheap copycat lights are not well made. Scrap them and go back to stock until you're ready to buy quality.

And don't put those "things" on your hood, they look like ass.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheap copycat lights are not well made. Scrap them and go back to stock until you're ready to buy quality.

And don't put those "things" on your hood, they look like ass.
So you don't think just adding a fire extinquisher for the lights is a good option to consider?

I was also considering buying a new Wrangler. Do you think a 4dr or 2dr is better?

Thanks, I really appreciate the insight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts