Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to trade my "color matched" (glossy) 3-piece hard top and fenders from my 2012 JKU Sahara for matte black.

1). Is there any difference in fit? Ie: will an '09 fit on my '12?

2). I understand that the 2012 4-door hard top has big rear windows. What year did they enlarge the windows?

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe the bigger back window came in 2011 with the new interior design. Although it might have come in 2010 when the new soft top came out.

the year the top is from on a 4 door should not matter. I have read that you MIGHT have to adjust the windshield for proper fitment on any hard top that did not come on it from the factory but I have no idea if that is true or not.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the fenders, any difference in fit?

Are they just "bolt-on"?

I'm gonna remove the grey plastic panels from my front and rear bumpers today.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Why not just spray them with Plasti-Dip? Its perfect for what you want to do and its removable. Check out the thread on doing grills with it.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm.....

That's an intriguing possibility...

But would the plastic-dip catch the slip-stream at highway speeds and peel-away?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody have experience with rubber-coating a top ?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opinions on spray-on rubber coating the hard-top?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hmmm.....

That's an intriguing possibility...

But would the plastic-dip catch the slip-stream at highway speeds and peel-away?

This guy's bumper is done with Plasti-Dip:

FINALLY got my MB72s & DuraTracs!

And this guy's wheels:

Plasti Dip Coating Wheels

From all I've read, it's pretty good stuff, and seems to last. Here's the thread that started the whole Plasti-Dip phenomenon. Gotta remember, it was like "magic" at this point...lotta peeps genuflecting and yelling "get a rope!"

Rustproofing help for you guys....PLASTIDIP

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx KB

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
on Plasti-dip:
Imagine your favorite pair of pliers, nice rubber grip on the bottom. That is what plasti-dip is. Not easily removable but you can peel it off with a bit of effort. Its great stuff. On the other hand... It requires alot of coats to be durable and covering your entire hardtop would take many, many, many, etc., cans.

You might be better off taking it to your local auto body repair shop and asking them how much they would charge to make it flat black.

·
Registered
112 Posts
on Plasti-dip:

You might be better off taking it to your local auto body repair shop and asking them how much they would charge to make it flat black.
This is pretty much what the dealership suggested to me to deal with the unwanted color-match top. I am also curious about using plasti-dip on the top since it would not be a permanent change and therefore would not undo the money spent on making it color-match in the first place.

I tried to get the dealer to trade tops with another one on the lot since that is so easy, but they kept saying it wouldn't match the sticker (more for the donor Jeep, not the one I would buy as I obviously wouldn't care). I really couldn't believe they wouldn't do something so simple, especially to make a sale. What I didn't realize is that it is actually a federal law that the window sticker match the car delivered to the buyer, so it really was a big deal to have the sticker not be accurate. Also the windows had the VIN etched on them already. Anyway, my point is I would like to have a flat black top, but I want to be able to revert it to it's factory color easily, especially since I paid for that already.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts