Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're staying in Mountain village and trying to plan our 5 day trip. Looking to drive into Telluride and take Imogine into Ouray, have lunch and a beer and travel back through Ophir to Mountain village. Anyone know about how long that will take? In a stock 4 door wrangler rental so not looking to get into much difficulty but am an experienced Jeep owner and off road traveler. Other idea's or passes anyone suggest would be appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK
182 Posts
Check out the Alpine Loop and Poughskeepie Gulch. My wife and I are going to be making out way out there, via Moab in September. We're going to spend a few days in Moab, then head to Durango for a few days. On the 17th we're going to hit Black Bear Pass to Telluride, then take Imogene back out to Ouray before making our way back down to Durango. Check out some videos of Black Bear Pass...it looks amazing! However, it is a one-way drive from Million Dollar Highway, down to Telluride. We're just hoping the weather holds out till then. If not, we're going to try to hit the two trails I first mentioned. I spoke to a Jeeper last week who had just completed those two trails back to back, and he said it took him around 10 hours. Here's his video to check out if you're interested:

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,340 Posts
As for your Imogine and Ophir, It will be a roughly all day trip. Imogene from W to E will be a bit slower. My experience is Ouray to Telluride and a lot more traffic was going tinto Telluride. As for Ophir, its about 1-2.5 hours. Depends on how busy, weather and traffic almost always goes E to W. The earlier on Imogene, the better. Ophir is "faster" and not as popular.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for your Imogine and Ophir, It will be a roughly all day trip. Imogene from W to E will be a bit slower. My experience is Ouray to Telluride and a lot more traffic was going tinto Telluride. As for Ophir, its about 1-2.5 hours. Depends on how busy, weather and traffic almost always goes E to W. The earlier on Imogene, the better. Ophir is "faster" and not as popular.
So would you suggest we go from Mountain Village through Ophir and back to Telluride through Imogine? I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out the Alpine Loop and Poughskeepie Gulch. My wife and I are going to be making out way out there, via Moab in September. We're going to spend a few days in Moab, then head to Durango for a few days. On the 17th we're going to hit Black Bear Pass to Telluride, then take Imogene back out to Ouray before making our way back down to Durango. Check out some videos of Black Bear Pass...it looks amazing! However, it is a one-way drive from Million Dollar Highway, down to Telluride. We're just hoping the weather holds out till then. If not, we're going to try to hit the two trails I first mentioned. I spoke to a Jeeper last week who had just completed those two trails back to back, and he said it took him around 10 hours. Here's his video to check out if you're interested:
Is Black Bear to rough for a stock Wrangler? Rental so I don't want to get it in much trouble. The video is amazing and I'd love to do it if it's not to rough. Thank you

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK
182 Posts
Plenty of people do it in stock vehicles. You just need to check with the rental companies, because some of them have trails that you are not covered to run.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,340 Posts
Id go from Telluride to Ouray via Imogene, Ouray to town of Ophir to Telluride via Ophir Pass.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good info! Was just about to post asking about Imogine and Ophir Pass. I thought Black Bear was only open about 1-2 months like June and July. My wife and I are going and meeting my parents/staying in Ridgway in early October. My be wishful thinking but if Black Bear is open due to mild weather, may have to change around some trails and do that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts