Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the "Nutter Bypass" however there are more than just the two wires on the ignition module. I'm curious if anyone has a real color coded wiring layout of where these wires go to.
Red
White
Green
Black
Violet
Orange.
I know that the Violet & Orange are the ones to bypass the ECU under the dash, but I've never seen exactly what the other wires do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,909 Posts
1st … Read this link and follow directions to update your signature to let us know what your working with, Better answers rather than supposition.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/a-better-way-to-get-help-in-the-yj-tech-forum-2341475.html

2nd … With the nutter bypass were going to be looking at 87-90 so....

Open the link below to my FSM dropbox , pick your year, open it up, find the wiring diagram section and scroll through the wiring diagrams for your answers.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Admiral Glen,

I did the Nutter bypass when I first got my Jeep. It seemed to help a bit.
What really made a difference was when I installed a new timing chain and a HEI distributor. I did the chain and distributor at the same time and the chain was really stretched, so I don't know exactly how much of an improvement the HEI actually caused, but I haven't had to fiddle with it in 3+ years.
The one thing I know for certain, the HEI cured an erratic timing flash when using a timing light.

I seem to remember some Nutter instructions stating to twist the orange and violet wires. When I did my Nutter, I couldn't find violet wire on a spool, so I used blue.

I don't know what the other wires do, so I think your best bet is to follow the suggestions that Got it at last offers.
The more information you provide, the more accurate responses you'll get.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a 1987 Wrangler 4.2 Engine.
I've done the "Nutter Bypass" however there are more than just the two wires on the ignition module. I'm curious if anyone has a real color coded wiring layout of where these wires go to.
Red
White
Green
Black
Violet
Orange.
I know that the Violet & Orange are the ones to bypass the ECU under the dash, but I've never seen exactly what the other wires do.

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Open the link below to my FSM dropbox , pick your year, open it up, find the wiring diagram section and scroll through the wiring diagrams for your answers.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forum
I don't know of any color schematics. Any that I've seen are black & white.
In the FSM that Got it at last has in his signature, the the color of the wires in the schematics are marked. See the instruction page 2 in the Electrical Troubleshooting section. For instance:

18/GRY
W/TR = 18 gauge wire, grey in color with a colored tracer (TR) stripe

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts