Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, last weekend I was out cruisin some logging roads with lady and came across a jeep trail, naturally i followed it. Came up on a stretch of water( turned out to be a very deep mud pit) and knowing better and going against everything i know i proceeded ahead. Half way through we lost momentum and started sinking, thankfully i was quick enough to pull into 4lo and find reverse and pinned it. We got out, but it left me with an uneasy feeling. I know better than that. So my question is who has a preference on come alongs, and other recovery gear? I dont want to purchase a winch. Im thinking 4ton come along, snatch block, short strap, a couple long straps and???? This is just for emergency recovery. Thanx guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yea, not sure what you have against buying a winch. But you'll find that most enjoy a winch, few if any use a come along. A lot of work in the path of the cable along with the come along is holding all the weight of the Jeep unless you have someone to operate the gas pedal, even then you can't wrench the come along fast enough to keep the cable tight. Therefore a lot of work to unstick a Jeep.
The first time using a come along with a stuck Jeep and you'll enjoy spending the $300+ on a remote winch.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Get a winch. Ran a come along with my old Chevy. Never again. Was stuck in the mud freezing cold into the night for 8 hours... Because I thought a come along could do the job of a winch. Luckily I told some one where I was going and they came looking for me

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
A decent come along will cost you as much as a Smittybilt winch, and others as much as a Warn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm with the others. tho I havnt used a come along for recovery or tree removal, I have used my winch. I pulled a large tree out of the way last weekend with it and if I only had a come along I would have been there for an extra hour, and then have people start to worry about me (I gave a time on the latest id be back and almost went over as it was). were the winch was quick and easy to use, and pulls ALOT stronger. and you can stay in the jeep while pulling, so you can work the gas if you want, all by yourself :thumb:

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I dont want the extra weight and the added sag that a winch will put on the front right now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I dont want the extra weight and the added sag that a winch will put on the front right now.
I have a 9000 lb warn on my tj with stock suspension and you wouldn't even know the winch was there as far as sag and extra weight goes.... Also theres a saftey factor to consider. With a comealong you are standing directely in line with a cable that has a few tons worth of tension on it. A winch you can stand well out of the way.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Kris, do you have a lift or stock springs on your jeep?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Having used come-alongs years ago, I have a couple opinions... 1) I wouldn't carry them & wheel in areas like you just did, thinking/hoping you'll be ok with them. You probably won't. They are little better than nothing. 2) I wouldn't wheel in areas like that until you can afford to install a winch with a winch capacity of between 8,000 and 9,500 lbs. Stay out of areas you're likely to get stuck in until you can afford the right tools which means a winch... which doesn't mean a come-along. At least not in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having used come-alongs years ago, I have a couple opinions... 1) I wouldn't carry them & wheel in areas like you just did, thinking/hoping you'll be ok with them. You probably won't. They are little better than nothing. 2) I wouldn't wheel in areas like that until you can afford to install a winch with a winch capacity of between 8,000 and 9,500 lbs. Stay out of areas you're likely to get stuck in until you can afford the right tools which means a winch... which doesn't mean a come-along. At least not in my personal opinion.
Yes, and im still kicking myself for it. I knew better. I mean hell its august, lol. I learned a lesson thats for sure!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
RC 3.25" lift
Ok. I can't find anything about exact numbers for the spring rates for the RC lifts, but assuming its about 160lbs/in, and assuming 90lbs for a winch (much lighter with synthetic rope) your springs will only compress about 1/2" from where they are now. And unless the front is already an inch or more lower than the rear, I wouldn't be worried about the slight drop in height from the winch.

Also, I've used a come-a-long to drag four-wheelers out of mud and up hills. With that experience, I definitely wouldn't want to use one on a jeep unless it was my only option.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Most come-alongs are junk with a stamped, thin steel frame

If you want one that is a serious tool...

The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches
THIS!

I do carry a conventional come-a-long (the ones that look like fence pullers) but it is not my primary tool for extraction. I have a winch but there are times when I use the come-a-long to assist in stabilizing a Jeep during recovery, or to pull a Jeep sideways for a better line for the winch.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A decent come along will cost you as much as a Smittybilt winch, and others as much as a Warn.

this ^^^^^^ X2

a new comealong adequate for extracting a wrangler will cost just as much as a harbor freight winch ... i'd go with the winch, and never wheel alone

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
OP, When I put a Warn M8000 on my TJ with Smittybilt XRC bumper. I lost exactly 1/2'' on my BDS 3 inch coils. I put a spacer in last week when I put in my tummy tuck and Currie control arms. It was easy, but definately was not required.

(I waited almost 3 months and 1/2'' was all that was lost.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts