Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance if I missed an already existent thread on this.

I've been looking into getting a JKU, been dragging my feet for months, but still seriously considering it.

A friend of mine got one two months ago, a '17 Winter edition, and she loves it.

I was checking it out the other night, and she said that while she loves it, it might not be the best vehicle for a lot of highway driving or long trips. She said she actually has a pillow she uses for lumbar support, as she finds the seats fairly uncomfortable.

I know it's clearly not the ideal commuter, but the seat thing threw me. She let me drive it, but just around the neighborhood, so I didn't get much of a driving impression.

I spend almost 2 hours a day in the car; I have a 45 minute each way trip to work, mostly highway. I also take 3-4 hour road trips a few times a month to go up north to mountain bike.

Anyone commute or do a lot of driving in their JK/JKU? Does it completely suck?

Mileage is a concern too, but not paramount. She's at an indicated 17.5 with 3.21's on hers. Her husband's quad cab 5.3l Silverado Z71 does better, haha.

I wish I could convince a dealer to let me take one for the weekend so I could drive it on my commute to see how it is. I remember when I was a kid, my parents would randomly come home with cars the dealer let them take for the day. Now it seems like you're lucky to get a test drive over ten minutes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't take my advice, but I would never ever even come close to considering daily driving the wrangler. Loud, terrible on gas, terrible sound system, wobbly, and while it's not uncomfortable, it's just not comfortable either. To this, people will say to just spend money to fix these problems...issue is, they really can't be fixed. The Jeep needs to be enjoyed for what it is....fun.

That said, needing a pillow for lumbar support is completely ridiculous unless you have some sort of a back problem. And if that's the case, getting a wrangler should have been out of the question. We take several 3+hr trips a month and have zero issues dealing with all the quirks.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I commute in mine and also do long roadtrips. I'm 6'5", very leggy, and have been pumping iron for 40 years. I'm very comfortable in my JKU with 3.73s.
My daily grind is about 65 miles and the longest day I've spent in a JK is 950 miles.
But that doesn't mean squat...

There's a seat for every butt. How about you rent one for a few days?
Read this: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wondering-if-i-screwed-up-2054553.html

·
Registered
660 Posts
Don't take my advice, but I would never ever even come close to considering daily driving the wrangler. Loud, terrible on gas, terrible sound system, wobbly, and while it's not uncomfortable, it's just not comfortable either. To this, people will say to just spend money to fix these problems...issue is, they really can't be fixed. The Jeep needs to be enjoyed for what it is....fun.
Opinions are going to vary, and that is what they are. Two people can drive the same vehicle and have completely different views.

I had my 2014 2 Door for a year now, and I find it great as a commuter. I currently have a hardtop, and it is pretty darn quiet. Seats do not bother me at all, I actually find them comfortable. Have an auto and 3:21, and I can get over 20mpg if it is all highway, about 18 mixed.

Would I buy one again for a commuter - yes. Would I buy one to drive across the country - nope.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My round trip is 120 miles per day. The Wrangler stays in the garage. I would go broke if I drove it to work. It is all hwy miles, so it takes right at an hour each way. From a comfort perspective it is fine. No issues there. It is just a gas hog, and I don't want to run the mileage up that high.

BTW... DD is a 2006 Corolla, 36 mpg, 300k plus miles (odometer stopped at 299999. Best 14k I ever spent.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use mine for everything. Coming from a tj to a jku I was very impressed with how smooth and quiet they were compared to the yj and tj. Get a hardtop of your going to use it as a daily. Gas mileage isn't horrible but its not great either.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love my Sahara 4-door but I don't like to commute with it unless I have to.

I work 75 miles from home and while it's not too bad of a drive (all highway) I prefer to drive the beat-up Ford Taurus because it's more comfortable, better on gas, quieter, and i don't worry about racking up the miles with it.

I've driven the Jeep to and from work plenty of times but it's not the best thing out there.

Tires for the Ford Tortoise are cheap, unlike 33's for the JKUS.

Although I'd probably fair better in the Jeep if I hit a deer or coyote or something.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You will get many opinions on the seats. Having read everything on this forum over the last three and a half years, there are few people who find the seats all that bad.
Personally, I find them firm but comfortable, and did 17 hours straight through coming home from Moab last year without any discomfort. It is my daily driver and can spend many hours driving around each day and love it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I commute very short distances...maybe 6-10 miles. But my JK Rubicon is my only vehicle and I drive it everywhere. I've taken many long trips on it. It's not as comfortable as the Infiniti G37 I had before it, but it's not the monster some make it out to be. You get used to it. It's louder, rougher, slower, thirstier....but despite its many "er"s, it's not unlivable either. After a year, I still love it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Opinions are going to vary, and that is what they are. Two people can drive the same vehicle and have completely different views.

I had my 2014 2 Door for a year now, and I find it great as a commuter. I currently have a hardtop, and it is pretty darn quiet. Seats do not bother me at all, I actually find them comfortable. Have an auto and 3:21, and I can get over 20mpg if it is all highway, about 18 mixed.

Would I buy one again for a commuter - yes. Would I buy one to drive across the country - nope.
Agreed Brother!! I would drive mine across country and never to commute. Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere and have a beer. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I had a commuting car. Reasonably comfortable, insanely good gas mileage, quiet, good stereo.

A year ago I swapped to a JK (not JKU, but...). Have not regretted it for a minute.

~50 mile round trip daily commute, regularly have 200+ mile days. Did 800 miles in a few days last week. I just love driving it.

I can drive pretty much whatever I want (have an Audi in the garage as well) and I love the Jeep. Topless, doorless in the summer, fun in the winter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I travel weekly and use my JKU as a sales car. While it may not be the most comfortable it is not bad. If I am going to spend hours in a vehicle it will be something I enjoy.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Interesting read. I commute to mid-town Atlanta everyday in it. Having a 2nd vehicle as a commuter would cost as much as any gas savings. I have had more comfortable vehicles and less comfortable. I rank the Jeep as pretty good in that department though I wish it had a dead pedal to rest my left foot.

Frankly, what I love about driving the Jeep is it is truly a unique vehicle. Pretty much every other car, truck or SUV drives like any other car, truck or SUV. But when you drive a Jeep, you know you are driving a Jeep. I was considering a Subaru Outback and after driving one I realized that once you are inside it, it might as well be any other car. Whatever uniqueness or mystique it might have is gone. Not so with a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If you are ok with the MPGs and can give the interior whatever upgrades you fancy in a DD, go for it.
I got the Sahara because it already comes with a few niceties, and then I added a kickass stereo system and backup camera. Also added the Black Forest Throwback that replaces the Freedom Panels to make access to the open air (and closing) a few-second process. Also have 34's with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and a 2.5" lift. Handles and rides great and the tires are quiet.
I have a short commute now, but it's my favorite two parts of the day.

We have made some long trips (several hours) and its comfy, just a little noisier than our Volvo XC60.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I drive a JKU on 315s and a 2.5 lift daily and dont wouldnt drive anything else. My wife drives an Infinity Q50 which is an awesome car and fast as can be, but my jeep is what we drive on the weekends with the family.

Its all personal preference, the things people complain about such as being loud, wobbly, and slow, I actually enjoy. Then again, I probably have an unhealthy love affair with my jeep. I smile while driving it and can sit there and stare at it all day.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I couldn't afford multiple vehicles, I guess I would suck it up and the Wrangler would be a year round daily driver.... but I wouldn't mod it as far nor beat it as hard. If a person has the ability to add a second or third vehicle to the stable, one would likely purchase a more comfortable, better equipped and much more fuel efficient vehicle. Or they would buy a full sized truck... and a basic car... and a SUV... and a sports car.... and a luxury car...

But the bottom line is that if you want a Jeep Wrangler and can not afford or justify (same thing) a second car, then sure.... The JK or JKU can absolutely serve as daily duty. Do what you wish.

PS: I'm also not overly fond of the seat in my 2014, I have 2 bulged disks in my lower back and wish like heck that there was an adjustable lumbar. It's not terrible, but It could be much more tolerable for a person like me with chronic back pain.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I drive about 50 minutes each way to work - I could get there in 35-40 minutes if I took the highway - I love driving my Jeep so much I prefer the extra 20 minutes a day taking the back roads instead of the highway - When I do take it on the highway it drives great - This past weekend I had to pick the wife up at the airport in Boston - put the top down and took the highway all the way in - no problem - On days I need to get somewhere faster - highway - on days I can take my time - back roads - Maybe my stance will change come winter - but everytime I drive my Jeep its like I am on a little island adventure somewhere - i often turn Google maps on and set my destination and then set avoid highways just for the fun of driving around a new area - life is short - slow down.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have daily driven three different JKUs throughout the last 3 years and I have never thought it was an unpleasant experience. I feel safe in it, with bumpers and 35" tires, you wont be really worried about people driving like idiots around you. The interior is fine for me, the stereo is good, the seating position is good. Can't really complain about too much about it. I had a really fancy 335I for a while and I hated driving it because I was worried about people hitting me, pot holes, weather, it breaking down. Also had a 2017 Tacoma, and I hated the seats and the seating potion, my back would hurt every time I drove it. So to me the Wrangler is a great DD.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Daily driving my JKU 27 miles each way to work since March, highways 99% of the trip. I love the Jeep, totally look forward to my drive each day. Have not felt that way about any of my other recent vehicles.

Done a number of road trips also, 4 hours about the longest but no complaints. Again, it is just a fun vehicle and I always wanted one, so I am happy anytime I am behind the wheel.

Can't wait for the snow.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts