Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i have a 97 tj i got on the cheap b/c it has a blown rear end. It's going to see minimal wheeling as I have retired those days since I have 2 in diapers.With that in mind can anybody tell me about an aussie locker versus a spartan locker? I would leave it open but since I am going to have to be putting new everything in the rear end...why not. I'm open to suggestions for others but my primary concern is price at this point since she is going to be a road queen most of the time. Thoughts?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Do not lock the dana 35, it is a sketchy axle to begin with. not to mention rear auto lockers do not have good road manners . Also if i were to choose i'd go with aussie over spartan, why don't you lock your front axle instead?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to lock the rear over the front b/c that is what i'm having to tear apart. Since I have to buy a carrier, ring and pinion, etc I thought now would be the time for the little additional money.

You mentioned on road issues...are you saying they want to lock up at inopportune times?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
A stock Dana 35 with its OE 27 spline carbon steel axle shafts is not strong enough for a locker. Not to mention most lunchbox lockers are extremely poorly behaved when installed into any rear axle.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you lock the rear with a auto locker it will be locked full time . As opposed to the front which will only lock when in 4wd

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Aussie, and if you install it consider adding upgraded shafts to the rear... as noted above d35's tend to blow up when locked on stock shafts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if i'm hearing ya'll right ya'll are saying keep it open for my purposes? I've been down road building a waggy buggy with 60's front and rear and i'm not interested in that at all for this ride. I welded up the rear of the 60 when I had it so I don't really have any experience with the lunch box lockers and daily driving them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Agree with the others not to lock the D35 but if you want something a little better than the stock open carrier, go with a Dana Trac Loc limited slip or a Detroit True Trac which is all gear but still functions like a limited slip. I've seen new loaded Trac Locs on Amazon for 3.55 and lower gears including bearings and shims for less than $220 and you can pick up a Detroit True Trac for about $450.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have a Detroit Trutrac in my d35 with stock axles and 31s. I off road it and it works well for additional traction and haven't broken an axle yet. D35 axles work well for most people but their design limits are exceeded with things like too large of tires and lockers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It took me 2 days of owning my jeep to break my open diffed d35. Replace it with something stronger, the 35 isn't worth putting a dime into. You could find a used locked 44 if you look hard enough

1 - 11 of 11 Posts