Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just figuring out my JK, but my dad needs some help w/ his 2006 TJ and I'm not sure if my solution would work for him.....

He has started using a carrier in his rear hitch on camping trips and he isn't liking how much the weight drops the rear. He estimates he probably has around 100 lbs in the carrier.

I've asked him to see what springs he has. I'm guessing it's stock as the previous owner did zero mods that we know of.

So I'm thinking an upgrade to some stiffer springs is all he'd need to resolve this issue? If so, what rate would you recommend?

He just does some trail riding down dirt roads and such, and I don't think he'd be happy w/ something too stiff.

thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
What is the weight of the trailer giving that 100 lb. tongue weight?

The usual solution to that is a set of air bag helpers from Airlifts that go inside the rear springs. Inflate them when towing, deflate them when you're done.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Jerry.

Sorry...it's not a trailer....just one of those carriers that mounts into the hitch.

Good idea on the airlifts. But if I know my dad, he'll say "eh, I ain't messin w/ all that airbag stuff." LOL I see if I can talk him into it.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent the link to my Dad. He actually likes the idea. Thanks again Jerry.

He also mentioned another issue, and I'll start another thread but here it is:

He said that with the carrier loaded up he noticed a vibration in the Jeep body when he was going down 2-lane roads. He didn't notice it on the highway but admits it could have been doing it then as well, just that he didn't notice.

Off the top of my head I can't think of what would cause this. Only seems to happen w/ the carrier loaded down and no other times.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I sent the link to my Dad. He actually likes the idea. Thanks again Jerry.

He also mentioned another issue, and I'll start another thread but here it is:

He said that with the carrier loaded up he noticed a vibration in the Jeep body when he was going down 2-lane roads. He didn't notice it on the highway but admits it could have been doing it then as well, just that he didn't notice.

Off the top of my head I can't think of what would cause this. Only seems to happen w/ the carrier loaded down and no other times.
bad u-joints probably. Changing the driveshaft angle and pinion angle even slightly might be unmasking it.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad u-joints probably. Changing the driveshaft angle and pinion angle even slightly might be unmasking it.
That was my first (uneducated) guess. We'll see what he finds out.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts