Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm purchasing a 2018 Sahara Unlimited JK this week. The vehicle currently has the base radio, no Alpine upgrade and no UConnect . I'm thinking about this set up - what do you think? I'll be adding a 10" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the "hidden" rear cargo tray in the next few weeks but this is a good start. Here's what i'm thinking..

- Kenwood DDX795 head unit
- Rockford Fosgate T2652 components for the knee speakers and from tweeters
- Rockford Fosgate T2652 components for the roll bar
- Rockford Fosgate T400 amp. mounted under the steering wheel behind the dash
- Maestro RR
- All 4 doors, front speaker enclosures and roll bar done in Dyna mat

I like to listen to music loud and want to be able to hear it clearly when the doors and top are off. Clean, crisp and loud is what I am aiming for. Do you think this system will do the job?

Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just redid the whole system in my 2010 this summer. Everything you're doing sounds good but you might want to look into a sub as well. Also, instead of dynamat, look into filling the speaker enclosures with poly-fil, the stuff they sell to fill pillows.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK cool. I will be adding a Sub in about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to make a fiberglass enclosure in the rear cargo tray. As for the polyfill- its my understanding that it's so the speakers "think" they are in a larger space. It doesn't do anything for sound insulation or sound deadening - am i wrong about that?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
OK cool. I will be adding a Sub in about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to make a fiberglass enclosure in the rear cargo tray. As for the polyfill- its my understanding that it's so the speakers "think" they are in a larger space. It doesn't do anything for sound insulation or sound deadening - am i wrong about that?
I think the reason for the poly-fil is to move more of the sound out of the enclosure. At least in the JKs, the speaker enclosures in the dash are just hollow plastic boxes and I'm sure the sound just bounces around in there,making a mess. Same thing in the sound bar, it's all hollow plastic. I'd think it'd do a lot for insulation.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
Polyfill does nothing for sound installation. @mjscharlotte is right on in his thinking. Products like Dynamat are vibration dampners. Sound blockers are normally closed cell form with some type of metal sandwich in between.

Polyfill will make an enclosure look bigger to the speaker. Polyfill is really used to fine an enclosure. All speakers have a volume range they need to operate correctly. The enclosure must at least meet the minimum volume range for the speaker selected. If it is to small no amount a polyfill will correct it. The same is true if the volume range is maxed added polyfill will hurt the performance of the speaker. But say you enclosure is within the range but a little small for optimum effectiveness of the speaker, Then a little polyfill can bring that speaker up to full performance.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My advice to you is to do the upgrades you listed. but definitely add a powered sub. Instead of an enclosure in the rear taking up space put one under your seat. Subs make a dramatic improvement. People will swear by polyfill in their enclosures, but when I installed my new speakers I filled the left enclosure with polyfill and left the other empty, then used the balance control to check for a difference. I couldn't detect any. I do believe that the dyna-mat will help guard against rattling. I installed a Kenwood in mine but wish I would have done the HU first then the speakers. I think the main problem with the stock unit is lack of power. Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
I put a Kenwood DDX9904S in, four Polk Audio 652's, and a 4 X 75 watt amp under the steering wheel. Mounted it on a board, and bolted it down to the original amp mounting holes.
Ran new wires, and added poly fill, just because it is nearly free. The only wire from the vehicle that I am using is the switched power source. I can't stand bass, so I gladly took out the subwoofer. It sounds amazing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Op... I think that what your looking at installing is going to be fine and loud!... I have been installing for 24 year professionally at 1 place and literally have done soooo many jeeps I have lost count. I literally did 2 full blown systems in 2 jkus today. I would say yes use poly and yes I do use dynamat ( roadkill or whatever you want ) in the sound bar and in the pods up front. Makes a big difference. Also, I have many times used fastrings on the front speakers because you will find that the front speakers are not close to the grilles so the sound will get lost in the drivers underdash and behind the glovebox on the passenger side. The fastrings will force the sound out through the grilles. I have ported the front pods and not. It just depends on what the client is looking for really. I will say this, I have ran into MANY jeeps where the back speakers are out of phase. Wiring them up that way will really alter the sound.... and not in a good way. Good luck

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
@David01, how can you test the phase of the speakers? I'm curious about mine, now. And what are fastrings?

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
@David01 , how can you test the phase of the speakers? I'm curious about mine, now. And what are fastrings?

Just make sure your + cables are connected to the + on the speakers If all the polarities are connected right you will be in phase.

If you run into an unmarked polarity on a speaker then you can figure it out with a double 'A' battery.

Touch the leads of the speaker to the battery (don't hold it on for long... maybe a second or 2). If the speaker cone jumps up and out then the speaker lead you are touching to the positive side of the battery is indeed +. If the cone sinks into the speaker frame then the speaker lead you are holding the negative side of the battery is the +

fastrings are kind of a foam insulation kit for installing speakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have tools to test that but can easily be done with a 9v-12v battery. DO NOT do this while the radio is plugged in or amp connected. if you don’t know what your doing or get it backwards you can cause backfeed to the internal amp of the radio or aftermarket amp and damage it. You will have 8 wires for speakers ( 2 per...1 positive and 1 negative ) while disconnecting 1 pair at a time take your positive wire to the pos on the battery and neg to neg. if you “ bump” the wires to the battery it will pop the speaker. If it is correct it will move outwards. If out of phase it will go in. If you have 1 going in and 1 out it will cancel. You want all speakers going out when popped. I just did a Jeep today where the rear speakers looked to be correct but were backwards.
As for fastrings, stinger makes them. Basically a closed cell foam ring that goes around the speaker cone and sealed the distance from the cone to the dash grille

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Hey everyone,
I'm purchasing a 2018 Sahara Unlimited JK this week. The vehicle currently has the base radio, no Alpine upgrade and no UConnect . I'm thinking about this set up - what do you think? I'll be adding a 10" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the "hidden" rear cargo tray in the next few weeks but this is a good start. Here's what i'm thinking..

- Maestro RR

I like to listen to music loud and want to be able to hear it clearly when the doors and top are off. Clean, crisp and loud is what I am aiming for. Do you think this system will do the job?

The roll bar boxes are pretty crappy for high powered thumping. At low volumes it's not bad, but at higher volumes the back of the roll bar boxes starts vibrating. I would advise you to stiffen the backside with 3/4 plywood if you plan on pumping some power through those speakers.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For the roll bar you might consider, or get some else’s advice on this, and use 2 or 3 way speakers instead of components.

There are two benefits to this option:
1... less wires to run into and through the sound bar.
2... you don’t have to worry about where to hide or place the cross overs for the rear speakers.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I am not mistaking that amp is a little under powered for those speakers. If you can you might want to look into the T600.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I put a Kenwood DDX9904S in, four Polk Audio 652's, and a 4 X 75 watt amp under the steering wheel. Mounted it on a board, and bolted it down to the original amp mounting holes.
Ran new wires, and added poly fill, just because it is nearly free. The only wire from the vehicle that I am using is the switched power source. I can't stand bass, so I gladly took out the subwoofer. It sounds amazing.
I was looking at the Kenwood DDX9904S unit as well. How do you like it? Easy of operating, features, etc.?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have nothing to compare it with, but it has all of the functionality that one would expect from a premium Kenwood head unit. The display is always dusty, because the Jeep's top is off all summer. It sounds loud and clear, and I like the HD radio.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
The roll bar boxes are pretty crappy for high powered thumping. At low volumes it's not bad, but at higher volumes the back of the roll bar boxes starts vibrating. I would advise you to stiffen the backside with 3/4 plywood if you plan on pumping some power through those speakers.
Or just do what I did:

Speaker pods separated by closed cell foam and sealed. Front and back of pod tied together. Completely covered in Dynomat, bondo'd and painted with bed liner. It weighs a ton but it does not vibrate and looks stock except for the speakers of course.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey everyone,

- Maestro RR

I have the Kenwood DNX693s that is CarPlay. I use it with my iPhone x running OS 12. I really like it. I also put a 10" kicker open air sub in the cubby (along with my alpine amp and some cooling fans. It sounds awesome for a non enclosed sub. I have had other Jeeps pull up next to me and ask about my sound system. The only issue I had was the top of the enclosure would rattle so I covered it with felt and no problems since.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
David - you mentioned that you have done a few JKU recently. Do you know if the Rockford Fosgate T2652 components will fit in the roll bar and dash? I was just talking to Crutchfield and they are telling me that they don't fit. They recommended the Polk DB6502.

Thanks for any input,

Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Op... I think that what your looking at installing is going to be fine and loud!... I have been installing for 24 year professionally at 1 place and literally have done soooo many jeeps I have lost count. I literally did 2 full blown systems in 2 jkus today. I would say yes use poly and yes I do use dynamat ( roadkill or whatever you want ) in the sound bar and in the pods up front. Makes a big difference. Also, I have many times used fastrings on the front speakers because you will find that the front speakers are not close to the grilles so the sound will get lost in the drivers underdash and behind the glovebox on the passenger side. The fastrings will force the sound out through the grilles. I have ported the front pods and not. It just depends on what the client is looking for really. I will say this, I have ran into MANY jeeps where the back speakers are out of phase. Wiring them up that way will really alter the sound.... and not in a good way. Good luck

Just PM'd you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts