Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Before I go outside and make myself crazy I wanted to get some input here.

- Just got my first Jeep - 2011 Wrangler soft top
- It is a second "fun car" and has a garage. I will only drive it when not raining
- I have two boys who like to climb in, rather than go behind the passenger front seat

I just want to "completely" remove the soft top and garage it. I will put it back on in the winter months when I get to bang around in the snow.

I havent seen to much posted anywhere on how to remove the top completely. Am I setting myself up for a headache? Remember I'm a newbie but this seems like it would be fairly common with all the mods I see out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you can fold it back, then all you need to do is undo the 2 screws each side (4 in total) that hold the bows to the back of the roll cage (the screws are the hinge). Lift it out. If you want you can then remove the big screws in the top of the plastic door surrounds and pull the plastic froms out too.

Thats it.

·
I do my own stunts.
3,009 Posts
What SeaComms said (except he meant to say "frames" not "froms").

And while you're at it, you might as well take the doors off too. :punk:

·
Registered
875 Posts
saintinthecity said:
I want to take the doors off! But it came with power mirrors :(
Unscrew torx bolts at hinge of door, open window.

Follow the retaining strap, it should go to a plug, slide red clip down on front doors and to the side for rear doors to unlock the clip. There is a small raised "button" just below the clip,press it and pull down. You are now unhooked! Take retaining loop off of the hook, make sure door doesn't open into your cowl!! Grab door through open window and lift up!!

·
I do my own stunts.
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
saintinthecity said:
But isn't it illegal to drive without mirrors or can I mount my power mirrors (unpowered) to another spot?
Depends on your local laws. Sorry, wish I could answer better.
Or just use some mirrors to slide into the hinges to be safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am shocked....It only took me 23 minutes including all frame hardware. Something tells me getting it back on this fall will take a little longer. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you get the two facing outwards with the hard top on?

If you can fold it back, then all you need to do is undo the 2 screws each side (4 in total) that hold the bows to the back of the roll cage (the screws are the hinge). Lift it out. If you want you can then remove the big screws in the top of the plastic door surrounds and pull the plastic froms out too.

Thats it.

Am I looking the right two screws (on each side)? I have a new 2012 with hardtop installed, would like to remove soft without pulling the hard top. I see the two poles attached with what appears to be the hinges but the screws face outwards towards the hardtop with like less then a 1/2 inch clearance? Are these the right screws? How do you get to these with hard top on? Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
552 Posts
The two screws are on the inside of the year rollcage (each set of two screws face inwards), but you will have to remove the hardtop to be able to get the soft top completely out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts