Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a Jeep for a very long time but I haven't done any real off roading and I wanted to get a little experience and guidance before buying one.

Any suggestions? I'd love a course or someone with experience in SoCal to show me the ropes.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Welcome to WF and the disease I call Jeep!

If you want to take an offroad lesson course, I have a friend who used to offer that service.. don't know if he still does. He's here in Ventura and owns is own shop as well. PM me your number, and I'll pass your info along...OR you can show up for a run, and ride passenger with someone. I usually have an open seat.

I'm getting ready to wheel Calico, http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/new-head-count-for-calico-oct-26-28th-193814.html ....so if you'd like to contact my friend, I won't be able to pass it along until next week.

Happy Friday!

Lorie :wavey:

·
I do my own stunts.
3,019 Posts
There's some outfit that does a beginning offroading day course at Hungry Valley. I don't know too much about them though.

Or you could do like I did, and many others did, and just hook up with some experienced wheelers on some runs, make sure they know you're a newbie so they can give you the necessary instruction/guidance/attention, and ask any questions you have.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Autark said:
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a Jeep for a very long time but I haven't done any real off roading and I wanted to get a little experience and guidance before buying one.

Any suggestions? I'd love a course or someone with experience in SoCal to show me the ropes.

Thanks for reading.
PM me when you're ready to buy. I'll make you a great deal on a New Wrangler. You should come out to Calico this weekend and ride with Lorie to make sure it's for you.

Rob

·
Registered
839 Posts
u can also ask any question u have HERE. we will answer the best we can in a collaborative effort.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not new to off road but new to jeeps. I'm headed out to calico as well to meet up w these guys for my first time out. I'll let u know how it goes. Haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies, everybody. Wish I knew about Calico a little sooner. Can't make it out this weekend.

Lorie, sent a PM. Thanks for the offer!

Rob, that's the part I'm dreading. I'll get in touch once I get a better idea of what I want.

You all are awesome.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This what u have to look forward to in the jeep family. I've been excepted from day one even being a total newb. Now I'm returning the gesture.

·
Registered
672 Posts
SoCalChris said:
I'm not new to off road but new to jeeps. I'm headed out to calico as well to meet up w these guys for my first time out. I'll let u know how it goes. Haha
Gl Chris. Take lots of pics.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
There's some outfit that does a beginning offroading day course at Hungry Valley. I don't know too much about them though.
When I lead a 1 week 1,000 mile Baja 4WD run in November 2006 for Just Runs4WD Club, a nice guy named Tom Severin attended. He owns Badlands Off Road Adventures - Badlands Off-road Adventures 4 Wheel Drive Training (4WD) and Guide School. Tom is always well-prepared, keeps his vehicle in top running condition, and carries lots of spare parts in case he (or someone in the group) would break down.

Tom Severin on "Mission Impossible" trail outside of Rancho Santa Ines/Catavina - Baja California

Tom performing first-aid on a Jeeper who stumbled into a Cactus along the "Mission Impossible" trail

Tom instructed several members of the Rubicon Owners of CA Club when they first became acquainted with their Jeeps and wanted to learn about proper 4WD techniques. I've met him, and he's a good guy.:thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
When I lead a 1 week 1,000 mile Baja 4WD run in November 2006 for Just Runs4WD Club, a nice guy named Tom Severin attended. He owns Badlands Off Road Adventures - Badlands Off-road Adventures 4 Wheel Drive Training (4WD) and Guide School. Tom is always well-prepared, keeps his vehicle in top running condition, and carries lots of spare parts in case he (or someone in the group) would break down.

Tom instructed several members of the Rubicon Owners of CA Club when they first became acquainted with their Jeeps and wanted to learn about proper 4WD techniques. I've met him, and he's a good guy.:thumb:
I took 2 classes with Tom when I first got my JK. It was worth the money I spent. The first class was for beginner off-roading in Hungry Valley to learn all the basics and safety elements of off-roading, the second was for rock-crawling in Johnson Valley.

I do highly recommend these two classes with Tom for any beginner.

Joe.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When picking out your jeep be sure to take your needs, wants and desires into account. When we bought our jeep we figured, fire roads and occasional "rock" crawling so we got a Rubicon. Mostly because it comes out of the box with lockers, rock rails and some other goodies that anything less doesn't. We then hooked up with a local jeep club that used to wheel alot and learned the ropes. We wheeled our rig stock for a long time, almost a yr. During that time I performed alot of trail interviews with other wheelers asking them about their rigs, equipment, why they did things they way they did. Also did tons of research on the web to see how I wanted our rig outfitted for the type of wheeling we do. One question I asked everyone was, "If you could do it differently what would you change or do instead." There were several answers that we had to sort through such I would buy this suspension system, these rock rails, and so on. Taking all that into account we started to build the rig. The biggest thing I learned from these interviews was to save your money, build it once and to the best level you can.

So here are some questions for ya?

Do you buy a sport or X model and have to go mod crazy with axles, gears and lockers?

Do you get a Saraha and just look purdy in mall parking lots?

Do you get a Rubicon that is pretty much ready out of the box with gears, axles, lockers and skids?

Do ya get a MW3 version that is basically a Rubicon with some "flare" (Movie the Office Space reference there)?

So ya know we have wheeled Calico, Bull Frog, Miller, Last Chance/Nightmare and have done our Death Valley runs all in a stock Rubicon. Bull Frog gave us some issues but we believe that is because we were new to the sport. Taking one back now we would probably do much better.

Doing some ride alongs is excellent advice. Welcome to the madness. It is the most fun you will ever have going one mile an hr.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DaK, two of those are exactly the questions I'm trying to answer.

Get the sport model and upgrade (slowly but immediately), or get the Rubicon and upgrade (eventually)

The Sahara is out for me. It's nice, but really just a trim level. The MW3 is also out. I'm happy with just the required amount of "Flare."

Since you mentioned it, but didn't answer it: "What would you do differently or change?"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice regarding Tom and Badlands. Looks a little pricey (considering I need to rent a Jeep as well) but it's definitely something I'll consider.

·
Registered
920 Posts
They do courses at gorman. If you really want to do it and give me enough time i will let you use my jeep. I can meet you up there just help out with gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts