Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Yesterday I took the 101 Training with Off-Road Consulting at Rausch Creek. It was awesome and I learned a lot!

The following info will be helpful in addressing my concern. It was my first time using 4 Low. I have an auto trans. The first part of the day we didn't air down and the second part of the day we did.

The first part of the day in 4 Low when I hit the gas (from a stop) my rig would accelerate slowly and the RPM increased until 2nd gear kicked in then it accelerated even more at a lower RPM. After airing down when accelerating from a stop the RPMs increased even more (I'm assuming this is due to the additional "drag" of the aired down tires)before 2nd kicked in and the accelerating increased. So my concern is that it almost seemed like even though I was moving slowly in first gear when accelerating from a stop that the transmission was slipping. Am I imagining things? Is this the way 1st gear in 4 Low is supposed to act? I didn't experience this in any other gear in 4 Low or in 2 wheel drive.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I don't think your trans was slipping. 1 low is a crawler gear. Drag from air down tires would be minimal. As you wheel more you'll get to know how the jeep reacts. Manually holding 1st using the stick by pushing left will be your friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
When I go to 4Lo, my jeep usually starts going in 3rd gear. So if you were in 1st gear (low range) did you manually put it there after you shifted the transfer case to low range?

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you air down enough to confuse the "nanny" when it comes to tire dia., it effects when the auto will shift.

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's just low range. Imagine being on a 21-speed mountain bike and starting off in 1st gear on the sidewalk You would be pedaling superfast and accelerating rather slowly compared to the amount pedaling. Your really wouldn't gain much speed until your put it in 2, 3, 4th.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I go to 4Lo, my jeep usually starts going in 3rd gear. So if you were in 1st gear (low range) did you manually put it there after you shifted the transfer case to low range?
I didn't manually put it in 1st, so maybe it was 3rd?

If you air down enough to confuse the "nanny" when it comes to tire dia., it effects when the auto will shift.
Good to know. I was at 15 PSI.

That's just low range. Imagine being on a 21-speed mountain bike and starting off in 1st gear on the sidewalk You would be pedaling superfast and accelerating rather slowly compared to the amount pedaling. Your really wouldn't gain much speed until your put it in 2, 3, 4th.
Great analogy. Makes sense. Thank you...........

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll be wheeling again in a couple weeks in the GW National Forest in VA. Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
JKrazy! I was wondering about being in manual shift mode vs. auto because in manual mode the engine will really wind up before you get an automatic shift override. In fact it will kiss the redline at the override shift point. Just wanted to make certain that you weren't expecting a Ford-like shift pattern out of the jeep's manual mode.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
JKrazy! I was wondering about being in manual shift mode vs. auto because in manual mode the engine will really wind up before you get an automatic shift override. In fact it will kiss the redline at the override shift point. Just wanted to make certain that you weren't expecting a Ford-like shift pattern out of the jeep's manual mode.
Gotcha. It shifted at about 3k RPMs. But it was barely moving so that's why I was concerned.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That's the whole point of low range, it allows the engine to rev much faster and give you much more torque to the ground at a much lower speed. The mountain bike analogy is a good one. It's also much easier on the Jeep when crawling over obstacles, it doesn't have to work nearly as hard.

When you are in 4L, try and use the manual shift when you're in the obstacles. For some reason in Drive it's programmed to start in second gear a lot of the time, which is not what you want when trying to crawl over something. When you get back to the normal trail and want to cover some ground again to the next obstacle you can go back into D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts