Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and test drove a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 30k miles on it. Looked underneath it and it didn't have bad rust except for on the muffler, which I have them replacing for me. So basically I was about ready to buy it and shook their hands and now I have a down payment on it and would be purchasing it by the end of this week, but I don't believe I'm completely locked into it.

However, looking at the carfax has me kind of worried and I don't want to buy a lemon. Being an inexperienced buyer has me concerned with some of the services done but perhaps they could be completely okay. Below is some of what concerned me and I also have a link to the carfax.

Miles
6,421 - Vehicle Serviced
7,391 - Body water leak checked
10,535 - Vehicle Serviced
15,723 - Door assembly aligned and Right axle replaced
19,775 - Maintenance inspection completed and Thermostat housing/gasket replaced
20,243 - A/C and heating temperature control checked, Body computer/module reprogrammed
20,402 - Brake booster replaced/repaired

Here is the CarFax
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=WDB_0&vin=1C4AJWAG4DL689223

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if it could still be okay to buy.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well the good news it has a ton of new parts. Would I buy it, nope.

·
Registered
925 Posts
2013 here at 45K miles, only thing taken in for was a oil pressure sensor alert code, took in and only re-flashed the computer. Impression is a lot of things were replaced for such a short time, that may mean the dealership found a fish or poor build quality on that rig. If the price is right and perhaps a further discount/warranty with the Carfax report, at least things were replaced. Always buyer beware.

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
I went and test drove a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 30k miles on it. Looked underneath it and it didn't have bad rust except for on the muffler, which I have them replacing for me. So basically I was about ready to buy it and shook their hands and now I have a down payment on it and would be purchasing it by the end of this week, but I don't believe I'm completely locked into it.

However, looking at the carfax has me kind of worried and I don't want to buy a lemon. Being an inexperienced buyer has me concerned with some of the services done but perhaps they could be completely okay. Below is some of what concerned me and I also have a link to the carfax.

Miles
6,421 - Vehicle Serviced
7,391 - Body water leak checked
10,535 - Vehicle Serviced
15,723 - Door assembly aligned and Right axle replaced
19,775 - Maintenance inspection completed and Thermostat housing/gasket replaced
20,243 - A/C and heating temperature control checked, Body computer/module reprogrammed
20,402 - Brake booster replaced/repaired

Here is the CarFax
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=WDB_0&vin=1C4AJWAG4DL689223

Please let me know your thoughts on this and if it could still be okay to buy.
all these are pretty basic stuff. the T-state is very common on 2013-2014 jk's and 3.6 in general. Enough that there has been back orders on that part. (mine needed replacing)
It is not uncommon for the temp control module to be faulty(mine needed replacing)
I am betting the right rear axle was just the seal (mine needed replacing 2X)

I felt mine was reliable and none of these things were things that strand you just more minor annoyances. If you like it buy it. I bet over 50% of wranglers have some leak issues that are easily fixed something as simple as adjusting a rubber gasket. it could also be something as simple as an owner who has never had air condtioning complaining because there is water under the vehicle after running the air. Everything gets put down. I had the dealer replace the wiper blades and it shows up as body work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all these are pretty basic stuff. the T-state is very common on 2013-2014 jk's and 3.6 in general. Enough that there has been back orders on that part. (mine needed replacing)
It is not uncommon for the temp control module to be faulty(mine needed replacing)
I am betting the right rear axle was just the seal (mine needed replacing 2X)

I felt mine was reliable and none of these things were things that strand you just more minor annoyances. If you like it buy it. I bet over 50% of wranglers have some leak issues that are easily fixed something as simple as adjusting a rubber gasket. it could also be something as simple as an owner who has never had air condtioning complaining because there is water under the vehicle after running the air. Everything gets put down. I had the dealer replace the wiper blades and it shows up as body work.
Ugh, I feel super conflicted right now. After calling my dad and him telling me he wouldn't get it and also from reading the first 2 posts I was already about to call them in the morning and tell them I was no longer interested. I do have another Jeep in mind but neither one is quite perfect. But after reading your response its got me thinking that this Jeep could still be the one to get. :pullinghair:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nothing on that CarFax really worries me....but I would take it to an impartial local mechanic, pay them about $100 and have them put it up on the lift and give it a once-over....good piece of mind and it's usually money well spent regardless of the outcome.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A 5 year old JK with just 30K on it? None of that looks excessive to me. Drive it, check all systems you can and get local mechanic to inspect her for you. I just bought a 2012 2-door Sport with 62K miles and paid $17k for it. Had some receipts from various service calls: breaks, oil changes, etc...drives great and very happy with it! Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The "one owner" does not seem to line up with the car fax unless the dealer has had this jeep since last september.

Did you buy it OP?

Edit: Probably not. Just looked at the dealer's website and the jeep shows in inventory. Dual chrome exhaust tips too.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i'd be more worried about whats not on carfax. We bought new audi for wife, old one had been in front end collision 6 months prior, with very severe damage, but not enough to total, so it was fixed. Ended up selling to a local car dealer, his reports carfax and others, didn't show this wreck. We told him and he was surprised that he wasn't able to see that in those reports. Just goes to show that carfax in particular can't be totally trusted as completely accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.