Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today we go like an inch of snow and super icy roads. I was driving in 2wd for a while then decided as I was headed home that I would put it in 4wd for some much needed added traction. When I went to pull it into 4h ( like I always do, driving less than 50mph and more than .1 mph ) it was a little tough to pull. Now it did end up going in but a few hundred feet down the road.... Thump! I let off the gas and turn onto a side road so I can take it out of 4h and stop and well it didn't want to push into 2wd. So I dive a few feet trying to push it back into 2wd and it finally did. So I stopped put it in reverse to pop it all the way out of 4wd and was on my way. So my concern is well why did this happen? What was the thump I heard? Was it just popping out of 4h? There was no grinding or another noise besides the thump. And after the thump it still acted like it was in 4h because when I made my turn onto the side road it bounced a little (hit some clean pavement). Could this be because I was on clean pavement when I pulled it into 4h ( don't think I was it was pretty icy but could have been on a dry spot ). My next question might be a little dumb but is it normal for it to pop out of 4h with a thump and act like It is still in, and also does the lever pop out as well because mine did not. If anything is unclear ask and I'll try and clear it up, And thanks ahead of time for any info.

·
4 Little Squirrels
717 Posts
I mean those things have happened to me. I've never had any long term issue from those happening. I've had grinding, popping out. It's a finnicky system from my experience but I wouldn't worry about it. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean those things have happened to me. I've never had any long term issue from those happening. I've had grinding, popping out. It's a finnicky system from my experience but I wouldn't worry about it. Just my experience.
Yeah I hasn't been worrying about it till I started using it in the snow because it has happened a couple times so far this winter. Nice to hear that nothing is broken. Anyone else have some input?

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Just a guess, but are you still running the stock TC linkage?

Could it be some ice and snow build-up on the linkage making it harder to move?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I agree with the ice/snow packing making it harder to move.
I've had thumps from going into or out of 4wd if I'm moving at any speeds (20 and over), I haven't paid it any attention. Contribute it to putting power to something that just a moment ago, had none.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a guess, but are you still running the stock TC linkage?

Could it be some ice and snow build-up on the linkage making it harder to move?
Could be ice packed on it I thought about that as well. But what about the thump? Because it seemed to still be in 4h after it thumped?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the ice/snow packing making it harder to move.
I've had thumps from going into or out of 4wd if I'm moving at any speeds (20 and over), I haven't paid it any attention. Contribute it to putting power to something that just a moment ago, had none.
Yeah maybe lol probably was ice build up on it because it was never hard to do any other time so I'll say that was that problem and the thump still not quite sure but as long as its no problem then I'm ok lol :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 01 Cherokee would thump going in & out. Mostly when shifting out & sometimes it would take a little while to shift out. My 97 TJ I have now has never done that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If I switch out of 4h on the fly mine thumps too. But if I stop and put it in 2x then back up a foot it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was already in 4h and I was driving and went about 3hundred feet when it went thump. It was pretty loud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Never had that happen specifically, but I do occasionally experience the 'Thump' when I'm dropping out of 4H at speeds over 20mph. It doesn't happen right away. Usually when I'm down the road a few miles, then it pops.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never had that happen specifically, but I do occasionally experience the 'Thump' when I'm dropping out of 4H at speeds over 20mph. It doesn't happen right away. Usually when I'm down the road a few miles, then it pops.
Yeah that is normal. The 4wd doesn't come out all the way and then pops out with a thump or click. Im pretty sure almost all tjs do that. I usually put it in revers and drive a few feet to get it all the way out of 4wd. That's not the same sound mine was today it was a loud thump

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump for some more info!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had this happen to me with 4L. I will put it into 4L after a lil fighting, drive a short distance and it will thump out of gear and into neutral. I havent figured out why it sometimes does it either

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I take it that this is fairly normal since so many people have had it happen and that is good news in my book lol :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
i could be wrong but isnt 50mph a little high to swith between 2 and 4wd? I was always told keep it below 30. Thats what i do when i switch and i never hear a thud

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
i could be wrong but isnt 50mph a little high to swith between 2 and 4wd? I was always told keep it below 30. Thats what i do when i switch and i never hear a thud
I believe owner's manual says you can shift on the fly at speeds up to 55mph...and if you're driving in 4wd at speeds over 55mph, you're brave as hell anyway.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe owner's manual says you can shift on the fly at speeds up to 55mph...and if you're driving in 4wd at speeds over 55mph, you're brave as hell anyway.
You would be correct it's either 50 or 55. But I was only going like 5 when I shifted into and about 30 when it went thunk really loud

1 - 20 of 24 Posts