Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, currently my set up is a 2015 jku with 4.88 gears and a Dana 44 in the back. I want to get lockers for rear only right now but not sure which set up to go with. Air, electric? Detroit? E-locker?Trutrac? Ive been reading about each of them and the pros and cons for each but figured I would ask in her for feedback and which you all recommend.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
You're going to get 100 different opinions, and non will be "right".. The only 'right' one is what you decide..
I went with a rear-only Eaton e-locker.. I didn't want to get an ARB (air) actuated locker because I did not want the hassle of on-board air.. A year later, I ended up getting on-board air anyway though for airing up..
One advantage of electronically actuated vs air actuated is that wires rarely spring leaks and wires are easier/simpler to repair than high-pressure air hoses.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
ARB's are nice. Dont let the whole air line thing scare you, they dont just break. In the off chance that they do, ARB sells a repair kit for like $25 that will have you back in business in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Won't find a stronger locker than the ARB... But for most practical purposes, any of the lockers on the market are plenty strong.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The trutrac you mentioned in the OP is not a locker. It is limited slip. It is still an excellent device that has many advantages and may just be the most popular LSD for Jeeps but keep in mind that it is not a full locker. I recommend doing some reading on the differences and make a choice based on your area and the type of wheeling you do. After my son put trutracs in the front and rear of his TJ, I was impressed to the point that I most likely will put them in my JKU. We don't rock crawl and putting a wheel in the air is extremely rare for us so the low maintenance and automatic no fuss function is a huge plus for us. If you rock crawl and routinely have a wheel off the ground, a full locker ARB or Eaton e-locker might be a better choice. As far as air or electric, it depends on which you like better. I prefer the e-locker because I am familiar with working on electronics but I have seen guys use ARBs with no problems. All three are great options each with pros and cons. I don't recommend an auto locker like the Detroit locker on a daily driver if you have no experience with them. They have some on road handling quirks that are amplified on short wheelbase vehicles. I recommend finding someone locally that can you ask about their experience with one and maybe they can take you for a ride in order to decide if it is right for you.

·
Vendor
1,208 Posts
Hi all, currently my set up is a 2015 jku with 4.88 gears and a Dana 44 in the back. I want to get lockers for rear only right now but not sure which set up to go with. Air, electric? Detroit? E-locker?Trutrac? Ive been reading about each of them and the pros and cons for each but figured I would ask in her for feedback and which you all recommend.

Thanks
DrDarren, there are pros and cons to both air and electric. On a 2015 JK you will want to stick to a selectable locker or it can interfere with the ESP system. The TrueTrac is a nice upgrade for a limited slip. Give me a call at 866-601-5340 and we can put together a great package for you.

-Tim

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you have an auto trans (2012 up)you cannot put in a mechanical locker in the rear. Your choices are the selectable or truetrac LSD. Front is no problem since it is only engaged in 4wd which has different ESP parameters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you go ARB then you have to get OBA, might as well get a tank while you are at. Air your tires up, lock lockers, run (some) power tools.... its a win win!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
And then there is the OX mechanical locker which can be actuated manually, or by air, or by electric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts