Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the RK Flex kit for my 2 door. I've seen Rock Krawler and others recommend the 2.5" kit for 2 doors running 35s. I just chatted with Northridge and they tell me that the 2.5" kit that they sell for 2 doors actually uses the 4 door 1.5" coils and the 4 door uses the actual 2.5" kit's coils. Which one do I want?

When reading the recommendations it seems people recommend the 2.5" kit for 2 doors since you end up netting more lift. Should I order the 4 door kit?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I don't have first hand info, I only know what I've read. Apparently RK made a change recently to what Northridge told you. In the past the kits for 2 and 4 doors used the same springs and you just got more lift on a 2 door. I never liked the way RK advertised lift height and now its even more confusing with the change. If you want a 2.5" lift on a 2 door then get the 2.5" lift kit. The change is supposed to make it so you get the advertised lift height. Yes they are 1.5" coils but the 1.5" is based on a 4 door.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
You should order the 2 door kit for a 2 door.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually want to net out a bit higher than 2.5" as that's what I've seen when reading reviews and looking at pics. If I read above correctly, RK previously sold their kits as a one size fits all, obviously giving the two doors more lift with the same kit. I'm pretty sure all the recommendations I read were from people that had the old 2.5" kits and therefore got more lift.

Maybe RK will chime in.

·
Registered
387 Posts
it's pretty straight forward, if you want approx 2.5 inches of lift and want the rk coils you can simply order the 1.5 coils for a 4dr or order the exact same coils listed as 2.5 for a 2dr. if you ask for part numbers you should see they are the same parts. when i ordered mine they were listed as 1.5 coils, no specification to 2 vs 4 doors... anyway there is a big long thread in this section about the rk 1.5 coils, have a good read of it and you will get all kinds of info. while you are ordering do yourself a favour and order the rear coil correction wedges to avoid the coil bow.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The confusion comes from the fact that kits were added to their line after others had been released. Before, One kit was advertised for different lift heights based on 2 or 4dr. Now they have the kits independently labeled. If they offer a kit your looking for pretty strait forward to get that one. Why Northridge is making it difficult i don't know.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's pretty straight forward, if you want approx 2.5 inches of lift and want the rk coils you can simply order the 1.5 coils for a 4dr or order the exact same coils listed as 2.5 for a 2dr. if you ask for part numbers you should see they are the same parts. when i ordered mine they were listed as 1.5 coils, no specification to 2 vs 4 doors... anyway there is a big long thread in this section about the rk 1.5 coils, have a good read of it and you will get all kinds of info. while you are ordering do yourself a favour and order the rear coil correction wedges to avoid the coil bow.
Duly noted, thanks. So you have a 2 door and ordered the 2 door kit and got 1.5" coils, right? Are you happy with the end result?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Also, ask if northridge has them in stock or drop ships. I've been waiting a little over a week for mine to ship from RK, they said it should ship by the end of this week.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, ask if northridge has them in stock or drop ships. I've been waiting a little over a week for mine to ship from RK, they said it should ship by the end of this week.
They said the 4 door kits are in stock, 2 door ones are not. Not sure I want the 1.5" coils though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They said the 4 door kits are in stock, 2 door ones are not. Not sure I want the 1.5" coils though.
If you buy the 2.5" 2dr kit your getting the same coils used in the 1.5" 4dr kit. I believe this used to be a single kit before they broke it up into 2dr/4dr, Im 99% sure theyre the same kit.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
You will get the 2.5 inches of lift - ignore the "but its 1.5 coils for 4 door" thing. There is no reason to complicate it - it isnt complicated. You arent being "short changed". If you are running 35s, all you need is the 2.5 for 2 door kit. You dont need "a bit higher" for 35s.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will get the 2.5 inches of lift - ignore the "but its 1.5 coils for 4 door" thing. There is no reason to complicate it - it isnt complicated. You arent being "short changed". If you are running 35s, all you need is the 2.5 for 2 door kit. You dont need "a bit higher" for 35s.
What about all the people with two doors that bought the 2.5" kit before they separated it and therefore received the 2.5" coils? Are you saying they're too high?

If your not running heavy bumpers winch/large spare. your looking more at 3". Height level is advertised as fully loaded.
Even with the 1.5" coils? I will be weighed down with bumpers, winch, etc.

·
Registered
387 Posts
yes i have a 2dr and am running the '1.5' coils, they netted about 3 inches of lift without my bumper and winch, still pretty close to that with the bumper and winch. i also have teraflex 1/2 inch rear spacers as i hate the low back end look that so many jeeps end up with. but the coil wedges will likely be a good alternative to the spacers, i plan to add the wedges to mine also. i am pretty happy with the coils for sure, i paired them with fox 2.0 shocks.

all the info you want is here;

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/rock-krawler-1-5-lift-450529.html

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
What about all the people with two doors that bought the 2.5" kit before they separated it and therefore received the 2.5" coils? Are you saying they're too high?

Even with the 1.5" coils? I will be weighed down with bumpers, winch, etc.
The 2.5 lift for two door is the height AFTER fully weighted with bumpers etc. If you put it on a stock or light rig, you will be higher than 2.5. Do not think of them as "1.5 coils" - a four door weighs a lot more than a two door.

The people who bought it before is EXACTLY why RK changed it - folks with a two door who bought what they thought was a 2.5 lift then ended up way higher, causing them to get into territory where they potentially had to address driveshafts and caster/pinion angle correction (if they didn't buy one of the kits with the arms that could be used to correct it).

Two doors are way more finicky than four doors because of the shorter wheelbase and different angles.

For 35 inch tires on a two door you do not need or want more lift. Because of better break over and such angles, two doors are best when lifted just enough to clear the tires at flex. The shorter wheelbase is ideal for lower center of gravity. Big tires and big lift on two doors and they tend to get top heavy and tippy when off camber. FOUR DOORS ARE A DIFFERENT ANIMAL ALTOGETHER - they need to get higher to clear their long belly and they have more weight to not get as tippy. BIGGER IS NOT BETTER ON A 2 DOOR - a two door on 2.5 lift with 35s will clear obstacles better than a four door on the same tires and lift.

·
Registered
328 Posts
They are not 1.5" coils. They offer coils that if put on a 4dr give 1.5" of lift and on a 2dr give 2.5" of lift. Don't over think this, the 4dr weight much more.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All good points, thank you all. I'm still a little hung up on the fact that all the reviews and recommendations that I read that led me to the 2.5" kit were older and therefore from two doors on the now 4 door 2.5" coils.

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
Why be hung up about it? If you need 2.5 inches to clear your tires, it doesn't really matter what they call it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why be hung up about it? If you need 2.5 inches to clear your tires, it doesn't really matter what they call it.
Hey, I just noticed you're in Scottsdale too! Cool! Thanks for all the advice.

As to my hang up, I don't really care what it's called, I'm more concerned that I'd now be getting something different than what those that wrote the reviews and recommendations that led me to this kit got. Their recommendations were based on getting the now 4 door kit's 2.5" coils. My thinking is that if it's good enough for them to write glowing reviews, maybe it's the one I should order.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts