Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, in having trouble narrowing down my gvw.... My state title says its under 3500lbs. However upon researching my vin... its giving me a gvw of 4,001 to 5,000lbs... The vin is a canada vin. 1987 yj...

·
Registered
98 Posts
im curious also, my door says 4020lbs, but i have seen online that its a little over 3000lbs. i have a stock yj with hard top.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sticker on my door is illegable.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My title in NM says 4000 on a 94..But here they charge trucks(yup they claim its a truck) by GVW so who knows what it really is.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
In Louisiana they say it's a car, plates cost more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've actually tried calling Jeep USa and Jeep Canada this weekend.. Althought both tired hard to help me.. they were also stumped as their computer files only go up to 91'....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gross Vehicle Weight is the maximum weight (including passengers, fuel, cargo, etc. and the vehicle itself) that the vehicle is rated at, it has little to do with the actual weight of the vehicle.

The weight on the title is usually the tare (empty as it came off the assembly line) weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Many trucks stops have scales that they let you use for a few bucks. We used to use them for our race cars all the time. You just drive onto the "pad", put your money in the slot, and out comes a printed receipt with your weight on it. Boom :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand about the differances between the curb weight ( on title?) and the GVW... My concern is im going to be doing a v8 swap and with the drivetrain i'll be putting in I want to make sure that i'll be within the GWV after all is said and done..

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Is there a reason why? Just curious is all

·
Registered
186 Posts
read this, its about someone swapping a ford V8 into a YJ:

Installing Ford V8 Engines into the Jeep YJ Wrangler

"Suspension & Engine Weight
You'll be replacing one of three factory engines. Their nominal estimated, accessory loaded weights are:
•2.8L V6, 365 lbs.
•2.5L I4, 340 lbs.
•4.0L I6, 515 lbs.
Engines you may replace these with may include:
•Ford 302, 460 lbs.
•Ford 5.0L, 450 lbs.
•Ford 351 (Windsor), 515 lbs."

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a reason why? Just curious is all
Just want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row b4 i proceed with my project. I dont want to finish my project and then when i go to re-register and get it reinspected that i'll fail because i will be over my GWV.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now that i am really thinking about this how would they even know you were over, they dont weigh them at inspection and your not driving a truck that requires you to stop at weigh stations. Just think of all the weight accessories like bumpers, 1/4" thick steel body armor, winchs , bigger tires and suspension add to a rig..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im installing a chevy diesel in my wrangler. Since the jeep never came with a diesel option, I have to get a special inspection/title done and they weigh the vehicle when the project is completed. Its pretty much a visual and safety inspection. I just need to make sure that my gvw wont be exceeded when I finish my project. Hence y im trying to get the gvw.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would have to say , Maybe check with the state/inspection station and see what gvw they require. If they leave it up to you then wiki/google for it . pic the best and present it to them:angel: . If the law requires you to follow set paramiters ,then they must provide said law for you to follow!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Gentleman That im dealing with is going to run my vin tomorrow and get back to me on what he finds out.... update will be tomorrow....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok got my GVW info back.. and it appears to be in the 4,001lbs to 5,000lbs.... range. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts