Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I purchased a set of Rigid fog lights that will have a Deutsch connection. I'm trying to figure out what I need to hook these to my jeep's OEM wiring system.

I'm reading some different things though.

Some say the connection to the jeep will be an H4, some say H10 some say 9145 (is this H4?). I read the connection for the 07s and 08s were the same and then it changed in 09 - maybe this is part of the confusion. What is the right connection?

Also I read the wiring system in an 08 won't produce the flicker so I don't need an anti-flicker device. True? Would a harness that has an anti-flicker be a bad thing? They are only a couple of dollars more.

Thanks for your help - again. Hope I'm not being a pest.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My '08 had a 9145 stock, for a 45 watt set of bulbs.

Does it have stock foglights? If not, it's moot...

Found an old picture. I used stock fogs to original switch. Can't remember if they were PWM or not; the 45w fogs were the best offered in a JK prior to LEDs.
I ran a switch via relays to a pair of Trucklite floods and spots; the trip was the parking lights.
And those are the original JW Speaker model 8700s. Yup, glass lens, huge bucket, little fan in the back that de-iced the lens in bad weather.

TruckLiteDrivingLites002.jpg~original.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if it had factory fogs or not. It now has an aftermarket bumper and no fogs. I did see a wire hanging down in about the right place for fogs - I'm hoping this is it. I don't know what end it is - maybe I'll try taking a pic and posting that if helpful.

Nice lights on yours.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
look on the blinker stalk. If no button, no stock fogs.
What model is it? If it's an "X", fogs were an upgrade. If not, it gets easy for you and you just wire in a switch and relay.

Like so:

relay-diagram_small.gif~original.gif

And for shits & giggles, here's a screen capture from when I mapped the PWM headlight circuit. I can't believe that LED headlights have come so far in 10 years. I did this for Trucklite so they could build their first flicker-kicker H4 to H13 adapter for their Phase 7 lights.

PhaseMeasurement.jpg~original.jpg

Reactions: basicxj

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s an 08X. I don’t see a factory button/switch for fogs but it does have this connection under the bumper.

Did they have the wiring even if they didn’t have the switch? Is this an H10/9145 connection?

The fog lights come with a wiring harness with a switch. Im fine with using this switch to have them come on initially but if possible I’d like to have them to go on and off with the high/low beams. Using them just with low. Is this possible?

Rigid tells me they are legal to use with both high and low beams but unless I can convince the Alberta cops that they are “multipurpose” lights this might not go over so well.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, you can get a new multi function switch with the foglight function. My '09 didn't come with them either. The dealer will need to program for the factory fogs or you can use Jscan app. They just added that function. I can't wait to see if it works on mine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tested the fog light connection points and they have almost 12 volts both on low beam when the fog light symbol is lite up and on high beams. What’s up with that? Bad switch?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
look on the blinker stalk. If no button, no stock fogs.
What model is it? If it's an "X", fogs were an upgrade. If not, it gets easy for you and you just wire in a switch and relay.

Like so:

View attachment 4169337

And for shits & giggles, here's a screen capture from when I mapped the PWM headlight circuit. I can't believe that LED headlights have come so far in 10 years. I did this for Trucklite so they could build their first flicker-kicker H4 to H13 adapter for their Phase 7 lights.

View attachment 4169339

There's no PWM on the front fog lights for an 08'. My '09 definitely does not have it.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Sorry. I didn’t know what the fog light switch was. The 08 X does have one. The little fog light symbol even comes on. Maybe it was upgraded at some point.

So what is the plug adapter to go into this?
Thanks

These are the connectors I got for my 2009 to add some LED fogs and flood lights.

Male side:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HNAT6S...olid=20TXEAD6EBPRA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Female side:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFDC8E...olid=20TXEAD6EBPRA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I tested the fog light connection points and they have almost 12 volts both on low beam when the fog light symbol is lite up and on high beams. What’s up with that? Bad switch?

That's how they work on my 2009. The fogs remain on with both high beam and low beam.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the information.

I didn’t think the factory would make them so they would stay on with high beams. Funny that the fog light symbol goes out on high beams. That’s good though if the cops question the fog lights on high I can tell them to talk to Chrysler.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
There's no PWM on the front fog lights for an 08'. My '09 definitely does not have it.
That's what I thought.

Jason Speaker called me up a few years ago and we were talking about why FCA would want to put a PWM circuit to them anyhow. It's not like they're a required or standard light and wouldn't have to be running for CAFE ratings.
It's just a nanny circuit in the later models. PITA.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
That's what I thought.

Jason Speaker called me up a few years ago and we were talking about why FCA would want to put a PWM circuit to them anyhow. It's not like they're a required or standard light and wouldn't have to be running for CAFE ratings.
It's just a nanny circuit in the later models. PITA.

I used to know this but going from memory I think it was on the 2011+ they added the PWM to the fog circuits but don't quote me on that. That is the reason some experience flicker on the fogs when adding LED fogs and some don't when not adding a PWM circuit harness to the fog lights. Makes no sense to me as well the reason they added the PWM to the fogs in the later model years.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I used to know this but going from memory I think it was on the 2011+ they added the PWM to the fog circuits but don't quote me on that. That is the reason some experience flicker on the fogs when adding LED fogs and some don't when not adding a PWM circuit harness to the fog lights. Makes no sense to me as well the reason they added the PWM to the fogs in the later model years.
Right. Maybe '12?

I had the Power Wagon from '11 to '14 and didn't keep up with the JKs for a while. Bought the '14, got back into doing research with Speaker. That's when they were just releasing their foglights ---- it surprised/angered us both that they did a PWM circuit to one that didn't benefit from it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts