Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I'm considering buying a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X. I have never really owned a Jeep before. When I drive it...it tends to wonder, ALOT! It makes me nervous. Steering is tight and all....but when I drive down the street it seems like all I do is work to keep it tracking straight. My wife already said that she won't drive it again and to bring it back.

Is this normal or could there be an issue? I understand, it's a short wheel base. Also, it has a set of 315/70/17 BFG tires. Safe to say that there is no center of gravity. I can get used to it after I know it's "ok".

Any thoughts guys/gals!?!?! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
It wondering alot is a basic expression what does it do. Does it pull to one side. Is it windy when you drive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just general in town driving. It does not pull to one specific side. It just feels like a lot of side to side. I almost feel like I'm getting shaken a little bit (to be specific, there is no vibration or shaking in the steering wheel). Normal?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
It shouldn't be "wandering" unless it was really windy. There could be issues with the lift or the tires themselves. Drive another Jeep that isn't lifted for comparison.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'm no expert here....but did drive about a dozen various used 2003-2009 Wranglers while shopping for mine.

There was a 06 Rubi I otherwise rather liked except it had oversized tires on it and a rather marked oversteer/wandering down the freeway.

Every 2dr Wrangler I drove, the larger the tires, the more the wander. When I drove those with stock tires, they had tight steering like SWB rigs tend to exhibit, but not wandering.

My 08 Sahara with stock 18" tires has great steering with no wandering at all....but requires more attention than such as my LWB 4x4 pick up does.

Somebody familiar with the quirks of Jeeps will give a better response.

I don't need the larger tires on the ones I test drove.

Maybe a front end shop could take a look at your essential linkage down there.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
If my memory is correct 315s are 35 inch tires? That's a big rig there and if it has a lift then it's going to wander when reaching certain speeds. Have you driven a lifted Jeep or truck before? There's a lot to think about regarding safely handling something like this around turns, at different speeds..etc. We need more info to really help.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If it has 35s I'm assuming there's at least a 2.5 lift on there. Is there a lot of play in the steering? I'm just thinking the castor angle is wrong.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Tires can definitely make it wander. So can a loose steering box. So can worn front end parts. Have it checked out at a good shop. Going back down to reasonably sized tires would help a LOT.

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

You asked for thoughts, so here's mine. I don't know what your intended use is for the Jeep, daily driver or weekend toy, but I always recommend when buying a used Jeep (specially if it is your first), buy as close to stock as you can. You can always build and modify it yourself as you feel the need. You already know that this one has problems. Large or small is hard to say until you have a pro take a look at it. One thing is for certain.. it is going to get old really fast if you have to drive it in it's current condition. But, that's just my opinion!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check your toe in. I can't remember the amount but it's not a lot. Tires can contribute too. Mine has no wander at all on smooth roads. My problem is the lack of good roads here and it will try to follow ridges and ruts in the pavement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
JDsdream is completly right. Bein thats it has 35's and is used you dont know what your getting.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I kinda disagree with everyone on this one. But it really depends a lot on perception. It ain't a car, and even my '10 jk on stock car tires doesn't steer like a miata.

Before you go giving up cash to a mechanic, have a jeep owner drive it, they'll know real quick if it's a problem or just a jeep thing. Steering problems in a jeep don't make it wander, they break your wrist.

The comment about not buying a used jeep that's modded is nice "straight up" advice, and even more so if it's your first off road type vehicle.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

You asked for thoughts, so here's mine. I don't know what your intended use is for the Jeep, daily driver or weekend toy, but I always recommend when buying a used Jeep (specially if it is your first), buy as close to stock as you can. You can always build and modify it yourself as you feel the need. You already know that this one has problems. Large or small is hard to say until you have a pro take a look at it. One thing is for certain.. it is going to get old really fast if you have to drive it in it's current condition. But, that's just my opinion!
I have to agree. I would stay away from any used Jeep that is modified with lifts and 35" wheel unless you just know the previous owner and his driving habits. It is no telling how hard this was trail rode. Besides why would someone sink that kind of money in a Jeep to just turn around and get rid of it. Usually the more stock it is the more of a daily driver it was. Not always true but you have a better chance it wasn't stock then modified.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! I had my buddy who's really into Jeeps take it for a drive. After he drove it and looked at it, both him and I think it's just an alignment issue. We're going to have that checked out. After crawling under it, I noticed it has a Teraflex lift on it. If I had to guess, maybe a 2.5 - 3" lift? Does anyone have any experience with Teraflex? Good, bad, indifferent?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
They are good. Many people use Teraflex. I have their leveling spacers up front on mine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does it have adjustable lower control arms? If not it is just the decreased caster angle causing the flighty steering.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I'd bet there's too much air in the tires.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts