Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in JK General Discussion, but thought maybe some of the best minds hang out here and not there. :D

Hello. New to Wrangler ownership (9 days and counting!) but have used Wranglers and Jeep SUVs for 4-wheeling for 20 years. For various reasons, I often wind up doing this alone. Yes, I've been stuck a few times over the years, but always got out eventually.

Since the new Wrangler is going to be used for some off-road exploring, I am wanting a winch in addition to my HiLift and other recovery tools. I have a ShittyBilt XRC9500 sitting on my workbench right now, as well as a Maximus 3 winch plate, which utilizes the stock JK bumper.

But I keep thinking about the times I've gotten stuck, and how the best (and sometimes the only) winching options were to pull myself backwards a few feet and do something different (or just retreat altogether.) In several of those situations, a front winch had nothing to hook to (so I'd need to carry a pullpal anchor, and go through that trouble), and even if it had, the better solution was to go backwards.

So as cool as it would look to be tooling around with my pretty new winch sitting up front, telling all the world that I'm a "serious playa" :)D), I feel like the versatility of pulling from either direction is a better solution. Plus, this allows me to avoid toting that 85 pounds of additional weight way out there over the front bumper when I'm driving on the street. Which allows me to not concern myself with a sagging front suspension, which may or may not be the case with the winch and KCs mounted out front on the Maximus. (I have the winch mounted on the Maximus, along with KCs right now. The whole package weighs 84 pounds with synthetic line.)

The Hitch I'm looking at (Curt 32432) allows for a 45 degree pull left or right of center, and a 15 degree up or down from horizontal. The left-right seems fine, but the vertical could cause some problems when your recovery point is up the hill, but the Jeep hasn't started up the hill yet and is pointed level. But still, the chances of that happening seem much less to me than the chance of needing to pull either forward or backwards.

So, I'm asking for your practical experience; anybody use this system? Problems? I never see anyones rig configured this way. The front hitch will probably reduce approach angles a little (it does seem to suck right up under the stock bumper but still, it's 3-ish inches deep). On the other hand, I woudn't care too much if it banged against a rock. Of course, a great irony would ensue if I got hung up somewhere because of it, and couldn't mount the winch because the hitch was buried in the mud.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
844 Posts
I had thought about it since my current and past F150's uses front and rear receivers with powerpoints with a Warn winch and thought about saving money (paid enough for the jeep as it was) by switching out the winch as needed. I thought hard about it and did the research just like you as This configuration has served me very well over the years, I keep the winch in the tool box. All my jeeps have had winches mounted up front on the bumpers since little space to carry. Hanging it out front would really kill approach angles where I usually go and would not work at all. Depends on where you wheel and might expect. There are times going forward is not the best practice and hopefully common sense and experience helps with that decision. That almost happened to me last weekend as common sense was lacking on my part...I knew the turkeys were located another mile up a ugly road and pushed it a little. I wanted to reverse but committed and did not have enough pulleys/cable to reverse winch out.
Old school reverse winching is not easy and no longer practiced as it involves putting logs under the carriage and running the cable out the back, done it once...only once.

I have a winch mounted on the front of my JKUR along with a steel bumper and some $1200 lighter in the wallet.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about it since my current and past F150's uses front and rear receivers with powerpoints with a Warn winch and thought about saving money (paid enough for the jeep as it was) by switching out the winch as needed. I thought hard about it and did the research just like you as This configuration has served me very well over the years, I keep the winch in the tool box. All my jeeps have had winches mounted up front on the bumpers since little space to carry. Hanging it out front would really kill approach angles where I usually go and would not work at all. Depends on where you wheel and might expect. There are times going forward is not the best practice and hopefully common sense and experience helps with that decision. That almost happened to me last weekend as common sense was lacking on my part...I knew the turkeys were located another mile up a ugly road and pushed it a little. I wanted to reverse but committed and did not have enough pulleys/cable to reverse winch out.
Old school reverse winching is not easy and no longer practiced as it involves putting logs under the carriage and running the cable out the back, done it once...only once.

I have a winch mounted on the front of my JKUR along with a steel bumper and some $1200 lighter in the wallet.
Thanks Jeff. When you say, "Hanging it out front would really kill approach angles," not sure I'm following. Are you saying, "Hanging the winch off the receiver would kill approach angles?" Cause I didn't mean to drive with it installed in either receiver. Or are you saying that putting a front receiver on your Jeep would kill approach angles?

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts