Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title states, I’ve been really thinking of getting rid of these and getting some different headlights. I’ve had problems since last year of the passenger side headlamp going out while hitting bumps and staying off and also the high beams are messed up. All due to a finicky wire im quite sure. These headlamps are around 6 years old now and I feel it’s about time.

without breaking the bank what are good quality head lights that will last a decent amount of time ? I currently have inspired engineering fog lights and was considering checking into their headlights because so far the dogs haven’t let me down and are still kicking and their headlights are around the pricing I’m looking to pay.

thanks for everyone’s input guys.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
pro-comp headlights

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
Are you sure it's the headlight and not the Jeeps headlight wiring. Have you swapped the headlights from side to side to see if the problem stays on one side or moves with the headlight?

Reactions: Keon

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I would be tempted to check connections and zip tie the connectors together tight before swapping out headlights for another aftermarket brand- you may experience the same issue with the new lights. There is nothing like spending money, only to find the issues remain.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure it's the headlight and not the Jeeps headlight wiring. Have you swapped the headlights from side to side to see if the problem stays on one side or moves with the headlight?
I would be tempted to check connections and zip tie the connectors together tight before swapping out headlights for another aftermarket brand- you may experience the same issue with the new lights. There is nothing like spending money, only to find the issues remain.
Yeah as others mentioned, check connections first. Those are expensive headlights.

Unplug connectors, sorry with electrical cleaner, and reassemble. Possibly use a zip tie or some electrical tape to keep connections tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
it is indeed the connection. a light wiggle and the headlight is on and working and a second later off again. what kind of fix is there for this problem? i would prefer saving the money then dumping a few hundred on a new set of lights to only have the same problem again.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
Wiggling the wire just tells you it's a wiring issue. It does not tell you if it is the pigtail from the headlight, the connector or the Jeep wiring. That is why you swap the headlights. If the problem goes with the headlight, then it is either the light's pigtail or the connector.

One of the issues with the H13 connectors is if the pins are not secure in the connector then they can move and not make good contact. I had an issue with a set of H4 to H13 adapter pig tails and solved it by buying a higher quality KC Hilite adapter pigtails. If you determine that it is the short lead of the headlight itself, I would contact J W Speaker. Don't they have a lifetime warranty?

Reactions: Jeeper416

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wiggling the wire just tells you it's a wiring issue. It does not tell you if it is the pigtail from the headlight, the connector or the Jeep wiring. That is why you swap the headlights. If the problem goes with the headlight, then it is either the light's pigtail or the connector.

One of the issues with the H13 connectors is if the pins are not secure in the connector then they can move and not make good contact. I had an issue with a set of H4 to H13 adapter pig tails and solved it by buying a higher quality KC Hilite adapter pigtails. If you determine that it is the short lead of the headlight itself, I would contact J W Speaker. Don't they have a lifetime warranty?
they're supposed to but i don't recall where i originally purchased them nor have receipts etc. they're close to 6 years old now. the oem connectors are close to impossible to disconnect as well.

·
Commercial Member
7,880 Posts
Little spray with wd-40 will help loosen the crud and allow the connectors to be opened easily.

First things first, clean both ends once you have them open, any electronics or contact cleaner will do. See if that fixes it.

Proceed to more involved steps if it doesn't help.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Little spray with wd-40 will help loosen the crud and allow the connectors to be opened easily.

First things first, clean both ends once you have them open, any electronics or contact cleaner will do. See if that fixes it.

Proceed to more involved steps if it doesn't help.

i'll check it out this sunday when i have time. i take it this is a common thing with aftermarket headlights and the JK model ?

·
Registered
2010 JK
353 Posts
Your connector could be an issue as well. Mine is damaged and causes similar issues to what you're experiencing. They sell a rebuild kit for the headlight connectors. The PN is 68064997AA.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your connector could be an issue as well. Mine is damaged and causes similar issues to what you're experiencing. They sell a rebuild kit for the headlight connectors. The PN is 68064997AA.
i couldn't imagine how. my jku is just about to hit 20K miles and is garaged from the elements on a nightly basis. unless its just faulty jeep connections.

·
Registered
2010 JK
353 Posts
i couldn't imagine how. my jku is just about to hit 20K miles and is garaged from the elements on a nightly basis. unless its just faulty jeep connections.
My connector is ****ed too and I'm also not sure how it happened.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Jeep, and I have the JW J2s. I traced it down to one socket (female connector) on the Jeep's driver's side headlight plug. It was intermittent and would work for a week or two, and then go out (low beam only...high beam was fine) when I hit a bump. Ultimately, I had to cut that wire with the bad socket off...splice on a new wire and socket... and place it back into the connector.

It was a PITA, but it worked. It's been fine ever since.

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
The old H4 connectors were very reliable. In all the vehicles I have had with them, I never had an issue. But, the electrical engineers and companies just had to fix something that wasn't broken.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm (was) an electrical engineer and I spent my career in avionics on business jets and turbo props as a Field Service, and Systems, Engineer. I've seen and know a thing or two about wiring connectors. I know mine was just a bad female socket...either a spread socket or a faulty crimp. In a Jeep, I suspect a wire can get this way over time due to a lot of excessive vibration.

I ordered a new connector which came with new sockets and crimped wires designed to be spliced into the Jeep wiring harness. Rather than doing a lot of splicing, I just removed one wire and socket from the new connector and spliced that into the Jeep harness... having first cut off the intermittent socket and wire.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Well my left side headlight does this yearly. The adapter harness goes bad. Only one one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I had to trim a bit a material from my connector to get the JW/Quadratec headlights to seat properly. For good measure I zip tied them as well.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Man, I read some stuff like this and rush to knock on wood. Truck lites havre been in mine for about 7 years and not one flicker or issue. I’m surprised to hear anything going with the JW speaker lights as those I thought were the benchmark. To be productive, though, sounds like some sound advice on troubleshooting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts