Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
it is indeed the connection. a light wiggle and the headlight is on and working and a second later off again. what kind of fix is there for this problem? i would prefer saving the money then dumping a few hundred on a new set of lights to only have the same problem again.
I have JW lights also and thought it was lights because I had the same exact problem.
On my Jeep the red lock tab on my connector was broken so kept coming loose.
I zip tied and tapped it, no issues ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my Jeep, and I have the JW J2s. I traced it down to one socket (female connector) on the Jeep's driver's side headlight plug. It was intermittent and would work for a week or two, and then go out (low beam only...high beam was fine) when I hit a bump. Ultimately, I had to cut that wire with the bad socket off...splice on a new wire and socket... and place it back into the connector.

It was a PITA, but it worked. It's been fine ever since.
Well...sh!t. After all that time working and then, yesterday, the low beam on the driver's side (the one I fixed) crapped out again. It's gotta be that same wire. Either my solder job sucks, or the male-female connection on that one wire in the connector just isn't snug enough (I hate it when that happens! ). The high beam is fine.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Fishing!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
On the headlight side of the connector there is a triangle of plastic that locks into the Jeep harness side to lock the plug together. It's in the center, and when locked it should click and the triangle will pop up in the center hole on the plug. The connectors used on the headlight side often have a triangle wedge that is too long, so they never click tight, a reason many zip tie the connector tight. Instead of zip ties, you take a sharp knife and take about half a millimeter off the tall side off the triangle, making the whole triangle shorter in length and height. When you push the connector together again it should slide up the triangle and over the end now, clicking into place securely.

If you replace the stock female end, you may want to wait to shave off the triangle to better align it with the new plug first. Some may not even need doing - like amazon ones.

If you need a rebuild kit for the female end (Jeep side) here's one available from Mopar - Mopar 68018959AA H13 Headlight Wiring Repair Kit for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

If you want to try something else, APi has this one for $10 - 2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Headlamp Socket - API 19132-07876479 - - PartsGeek.com

One of many on Amazon - I do prefer the ceramic design even though LED won't be heat affected like others, this one also is easy to see the triangle hole on the top to verify it's secure. https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-Ce...11&rnid=1248859011&rps=1&s=automotive&sr=1-11

Reactions: Jjgibby523

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I may have to get that Mopar replacement on the Jeep side but, for now, I did some duct tape engineering which works.

I found that the one wire I know about was twitchy again. It wasn't my previous solder job. I could pull the appropriate wire to one side and...voila!... The light would work. If I relaxed it...the light would go out. The connection between the socket and pin is too loose. So I had a trip out of town today and really needed my headlight to work.

I pulled the wire to one side to make the light work... wrapped it around once...and held it there while I wrapped duct tape around it.

Like I said...voila! It works.

I'll have to get the entire Jeep side connector and replace all three wires and crimped sockets to make the fix last.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Ta freaking da! My headlights work again. The low beam on the driver's side has been intermittent for a while now. I've tried various half-assed ways to make it work, but the problem kept coming back to haunt me. I knew it wasn't a headlight, and I knew which wire it was, but whether it was the female socket, male pin, or the connector itself, proved elusive. Finally, I resorted to solder/splice and replacing all three wires with crimped female sockets, and the connector (with Mopar parts this time). I'm not the most experienced solder guy in the world, so it was tedious work in a tight space that took me two hours... but I got 'er done. And they work.

BTW... you don't even know how much you'll need and use that little Gorilla bench until you have one.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A little more info.... A post-mortum investigation showed discolored metal on the female socket connected to the wire that controlled the low beam. You know how heat will discolor, or turn metal a blueish color? That's what was happening. I think the gap between the female socket and the male pin was loose enough to cause arcing, discoloring the socket. Definitely the cause of the intermittent.

The new connector and the fit of the sockets in the connector was much, much tighter. You could feel the difference when I plugged the headlight connector into it.

I think I got it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you had quite the fun with that harness. It also sounds like you got it fixed.
Thanks for all the reports on the final fix.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I’d like to update you guys. About 3 weeks ago I got fed up with this problem of the light going out on me. I took it to my local dealer, and they had it for the half the day. Their diagnostic determined the connector (like we all have been discussing about in this thread) had supposed corrosion. They claimed to have gotten the corrosion off the connector and applied electrical grease….. that worked then they charged me $150 bucks which I felt was highway robbery.

I then go back to my normal business and the light was operating fine. fast forward to a few days ago and this damn headlight went out again…. As of today I went back to the same dealership.They basically blew me off this time and told me to come back with the stock headlights installed and gave me some other speal….

so as of now, my next day off, I’m going to attempt to either fix this problem on my own with messing with the connector. If it does not work, I might consider removing the JW headlights and looking into other lights. I’ve read numerous complaints about Jw speaker headlights with connector problems and for these being so expensive they really shouldn’t be so crappy with their connectors….. ugh 😤

Reactions: bill61

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
There are 3 basic options for the connector:
1. Original H13 male connector to the headlight - oval housing with 3 pins
2. The original connector has been cut off and an H4 male connector has been installed at the end of the wiring. The H4 connector is the same one in use since the 1930s.
3. There is an H13 to H4 adapter in the circuit. (H13 at one end and H4 at the other end.) Example below:

If it is item 2 or 3, then replace the connector. I do not believe that the J. W. Speaker LED headlights have an H13 connector, most likely it is an adapter and maybe there is an anti-flicker modulator in with the adapter. In this case there is a black box with an H13 at one end and an H4 at the other end.

Which situation do you have?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There are 3 basic options for the connector:
1. Original H13 male connector to the headlight - oval housing with 3 pins
2. The original connector has been cut off and an H4 male connector has been installed at the end of the wiring. The H4 connector is the same one in use since the 1930s.
3. There is an H13 to H4 adapter in the circuit. (H13 at one end and H4 at the other end.) Example below:

If it is item 2 or 3, then replace the connector. I do not believe that the J. W. Speaker LED headlights have an H13 connector, most likely it is an adapter and maybe there is an anti-flicker modulator in with the adapter. In this case there is a black box with an H13 at one end and an H4 at the other end.

Which situation do you have?
I had an anti flicker harness on it. Maybe I should try and remove it. As i said prior I’m honestly now under the impression these head lights are garbage and aren’t worth this hassle any longer. I’m honestly not looking to splice wires .

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Again - what connectors are on the J. W. Speakers? I would imagine H4 since the majority of vehicles that would install the J. W. Speakers use those connectors. The JK introduced the H13 on the Wrangler line, although other vehicle have used them prior to this.

If you have an anti-flicker module in the circuit, that could be the culprit. If you have an adapter from H13 to H4 and it is a cheap adapter, that could be the culprit. When I put H4s in my 2015, I wanted to save money, so I bought the $8 set and had issues. I then replaced them with the KC Hilite adapters as shown in my previous post and the problem went away. I should have spend the $ 22 (the price in 2015) when I first replace the crummy stock H13s. The H13 bulbs are not that bad, it's the stock reflector design.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Again - what connectors are on the J. W. Speakers? I would imagine H4 since the majority of vehicles that would install the J. W. Speakers use those connectors. The JK introduced the H13 on the Wrangler line, although other vehicle have used them prior to this.

If you have an anti-flicker module in the circuit, that could be the culprit. If you have an adapter from H13 to H4 and it is a cheap adapter, that could be the culprit. When I put H4s in my 2015, I wanted to save money, so I bought the $8 set and had issues. I then replaced them with the KC Hilite adapters as shown in my previous post and the problem went away. I should have spend the $ 22 (the price in 2015) when I first replace the crummy stock H13s. The H13 bulbs are not that bad, it's the stock reflector design.
unfortunately i couldn’t tell you.I put these headlights in 7 years ago. Never looked at them again since I started having this issue. Whatever connectors would be standard on a 14 JKU.

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
And if it is a connection issue a set of new lights will have the same problem.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Like I said. My connector issue was the Jeep connector... not the headlight connector.
Since I work shift work and have a toddler to care for during my spare time. The earliest I can even look at this and pull the grill off would be either Sunday or Monday. I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
And if it is a connection issue a set of new lights will have the same problem.
That’s correct. I also read a similar thread on this forum where a large group of members had the exact same issue with these headlights. It was a loose connector on the headlights side. Either way I’ll have to check it out in a few days and see what it is. Love to do it today but im out of time for the day.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I think You’ll be hard pressed to get 6 years out of a cheaper set of LED lights.
I have the factory Mopar LEDs and they work awesome but not pretty. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think You’ll be hard pressed to get 6 years out of a cheaper set of LED lights.
I have the factory Mopar LEDs and they work awesome but not pretty. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you could be right. As I’ve gotten older since owning this vehicl, I don’t see myself spending a ton of money on something I can get similar quality for with only paying a fraction of the cost of these. I’ve gotten wise with my spending on mods and try not to spend foolishly any longer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Since I work shift work and have a toddler to care for during my spare time. The earliest I can even look at this and pull the grill off would be either Sunday or Monday. I’ll check it out.
I identified the drivers side Jeep connector (the socket/female side) early on. The best way is just to swap your headlights from side to side. In my case, the problem stayed on the driver's side. Had it been a headlight problem, it would have followed the headlight. I tried several half-assed ways get around it, but the issue kept coming back. (I could tell there was a loose connection on one particular wire...the one that controlled the low beam) So I ordered a new connector for the Jeep, cut the old one entirely off...then solder/spliced the new connector to the Jeep wiring harness. It was tight in that headlight tunnel, but I got it done.

And it works. Hasn't failed since.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
OK. If they are the 8700 J2s, they have an H13 connector to mate up with the JK H13 connector and no modulator block needed.

You have had those lights in your Jeep for 7 years before you started having issues. That's not a crappy headlight, that's actually fairly good service.

As Flyfisher commented - swap them from side to side and see if the issue moves to the other side (headlight issue) or stays on the same side (wiring issue). As Flyfisher also commented if it's a wiring issue, it could be the connector or perhaps you have had a critter decide the insulation on one of your wires would make a tasty snack - not an uncommon issue since much of the modern wire insulation is plant based not rubber.

Reactions: Bobnh
21 - 40 of 42 Posts