Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering some spring carbon cleaning with Sea Foam in my 03 Tj with 60k. 1/3 in my fuel tank, 1/3 in oil crank case and 1/3 through the break booster vacuum line. I do plan on an oil change as well after running the engine for a bit. Any thoughts, comments, concerns or recommendations would be extremely appreciated :) Thanks!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Waste of money. I tested it triple strength in gas did nothing. Spend your 8 bucks on gas. :). People that hate maintenance think it's a miracle cure for proper maintenance. They will post. Probably.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Waste of money. I tested it triple strength in gas did nothing. Spend your 8 bucks on gas. :). People that hate maintenance think it's a miracle cure for proper maintenance. They will post. Probably.
if it ain't broke don't fix it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious about preventative maintenance. With 60k on my jeep I'd like to maintain performance. Along with typical upkeep would seafoam help, hinder or effect?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
To me, Sea Foam is a fad product that does several jobs in a so-so manner but none of them as well as specific products for specific jobs that cost less.

Keep one thought in mind... generally speaking, we don't need additional additive type products to keep our engines running well. Especially aftermarket fuel injector cleaners. Really. For probably at least 20 years the gasoline manufacturers have been including enough fuel injector system cleaners to keep the injectors clean. True. And since '87 or so, the EPA has been requiring them. That didn't used to be the case, fuel injectors USED to get clogged up and we (me included back then) had to use fuel injector cleaners. But I haven't used a fuel injection system cleaner product in at least 20 years because I've never needed to.

I used to have 15-20 automotive dealers as customers and when I had time, I'd go shoot the bull with the mechanics in the back. One of the questions I'd ask was how often they saw any clogged fuel injectors. This is in light of their dealership pushing $99 fuel injection system cleaning services. The newer mechanics had never seen a clogged/dirty injector and the old mechanics all said it had been many years since they had seen one.

Which is just to say that modern gasolines are doing a good job of keeping our fuel injection systems in good condition. We don't need to pay extra for FI system additives.

The real preventive maintenance I like to do that keeps the air intake & throttle body system clean is to clean it with a good throttle body cleaner. It gets black & gunky inside which can cause idle problems. That can normally be accomplished fairly easily by starting the engine and spraying the TB cleaner directly into the throttle body where it is sucked through the TB and air intake. If the idle is too low, that's a sign the Idle Air Control (IAC) module could be gunked up & needs more direct application of the throttle body cleaner (aerosol based).

Would I use Sea Foam for that? Nope, especially since it is more expensive than a good quality throttle body cleaner that is made specifically for that job.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I work as an auto tech. Have for 12 years. I agree with Jerry's post. No need for fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To me, Sea Foam is a fad product that does several jobs in a so-so manner but none of them as well as specific products for specific jobs that cost less.

Keep one thought in mind... generally speaking, we don't need additional additive type products to keep our engines running well. Especially aftermarket fuel injector cleaners. Really. For probably at least 20 years the gasoline manufacturers have been including enough fuel injector system cleaners to keep the injectors clean. True. And since '87 or so, the EPA has been requiring them. That didn't used to be the case, fuel injectors USED to get clogged up and we (me included back then) had to use fuel injector cleaners. But I haven't used a fuel injection system cleaner product in at least 20 years because I've never needed to.

I used to have 15-20 automotive dealers as customers and when I had time, I'd go shoot the bull with the mechanics in the back. One of the questions I'd ask was how often they saw any clogged fuel injectors. This is in light of their dealership pushing $99 fuel injection system cleaning services. The newer mechanics had never seen a clogged/dirty injector and the old mechanics all said it had been many years since they had seen one.

Which is just to say that modern gasolines are doing a good job of keeping our fuel injection systems in good condition. We don't need to pay extra for FI system additives.

The real preventive maintenance I like to do that keeps the air intake & throttle body system clean is to clean it with a good throttle body cleaner. It gets black & gunky inside which can cause idle problems. That can normally be accomplished fairly easily by starting the engine and spraying the TB cleaner directly into the throttle body where it is sucked through the TB and air intake. If the idle is too low, that's a sign the Idle Air Control (IAC) module could be gunked up & needs more direct application of the throttle body cleaner (aerosol based).

Would I use Sea Foam for that? Nope, especially since it is more expensive than a good quality throttle body cleaner that is made specifically for that job.
Wow, super helpful. Any specific products you will recommend to use as throttle body cleaners?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Wow, super helpful. Any specific products you will recommend to use as throttle body cleaners?
To me all throttle body cleaning products are all about the same. 3M makes a good one but I wouldn't consider it widely sold, I usually only see something that good in better parts stores like NAPA. Anything in an aerosol can that says Throttle Body Cleaner on the front label should be fine.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes Jerry: Is there a write up for that? What you say makes great sense and I'm sure the TB on my '02 has never been cleaned (Non-wheeling female owned it before me). What do you use to clean it? What tips to avoid problems doing it? Thank you for any insight!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
All I do is start the engine and spray the throttle body cleaner directly into the top of the throttle body, which only requires that the air intake tube be removed from it and moved out of the way.

Spraying the cleaner into the throttle body can cause the engine to stall or bog down so just keep the RPMs up a tad with the throttle lever on the side of the throttle body. I empty the entire can into it. When the engine stalls, and it usually will, just restart it.

The Idle Air Controller is bolted to the side of the throttle body. You need to insure it gets its fair share of the throttle body cleaner. The IAC is what provides all of the engine's air at idle RPMs when your foot is not stepping down on the gas pedal. Notice the big round valve plate at the top of the throttle body is not open at idle RPMs, the required air is instead entering through the horizontal slot above the round valve plate. That slot for the air to pass into the IAC is shown below and is called the Idle Air Control Passage Inlet.

The IAC only sucks air through its Idle Air Control Passage Inlet opening at idle RPMs so that means you need to insure you spray enough into that slot opening when the engine is at idle. The engine will stall when you do that but that's ok, just restart the engine. Let the engine suck the cleaner through that slot so the IAC gets cleaned well enough.

Sometimes the IAC is dirty enough that it needs to be removed for cleaning. That's easy enough, it is only held in place by a couple torx-head screws. If you remove it to clean it, spray it with Throttle Body Cleaner & gentlly scrub its tip with a soft tooth brush. Be sure to clean the hole it fits into too, you can use TB cleaner and a something like a baby bottle nipple brush there.

The IAC is the first illustration. Newer IACs look a bit different but they work the same way.... its plunger moves in & out to meter the air into the throttle body as directed by the engine computer (ECM).

Hope this helps...

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Wow that looks great, I should take mine down all the way like that some day. Mine is clean but yours is CLEAN!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Dear Jerry,
Let me know when the house next to yours goes up for sale. I need a neighbor like you especially after changing my water pump on my 97 TJ.
Getting old sucks.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Looks pretty straight forward: Thanks for the information! I'm sure mine could use it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts