Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me save you the trouble of reading thru a bunch of threads. I have had my new Recon for less than 2 months. Had to order a new head unit yesterday. Bluetooth would not work, and I could not use the AUX to play songs from an Ipod either. Don't know how long it takes to get in. They said they would call me.

Save yourself the hassle. Just bite the bullet and buy the Alpine WRA. If I had it to do over, that's what I would do. The $1200 you will spend on the 430N is a good down payment.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ha ha.

Aftermarket is definitely the way to go. Today's HUs are so much more capable than the stock ones.

My Kenwood unit came with a two-year warranty, which I doubled to four. If something goes wrong, they'll just slap in a new one.

Reactions: Ehtacs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my new Wrangler on Friday and the only model they had in my color had the upgraded HU which I did not want. Thankfully I was able to convince them to "buy it from me". They took $1k off the price of the Jeep and I will have to turn in the HU in to them once I replace it.

In my few days with it, it is kind of garbage. The only thing going for it is that the voice commands are responsive, at least compared to my old GC. Too bad it doesn't recognize anything.

Going to get the Alpine i209-WRA which looks fantastic. Doesn't seem to have wide availability as of yet, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I switched out my 430N in the first week of ownership. I knew I didn't want it but it seems every Sahara comes with it!.. Except mine didn't have UConnect so I couldn't do the one thing I actually wanted with my head unit. Blah. Piece of trash indeed. Android Auto/Google Maps/CarPlay roasts everything on there at less than half the price.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I had one in my car for years without issue. I went with the 130 and plan to go aftermarket in my Jeep, but the 430 worked fine. Not sure what aftermarket HU I'm going to go with, I've had the 130 for a year and haven't seen a need to replace it yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I switched out my 430N in the first week of ownership. I knew I didn't want it but it seems every Sahara comes with it!.. Except mine didn't have UConnect so I couldn't do the one thing I actually wanted with my head unit. Blah. Piece of trash indeed. Android Auto/Google Maps/CarPlay roasts everything on there at less than half the price.
Mine has UConnect and its a pain in the @ss too. When you press the button to accept the call, the automated voice wont STFU. So by the time you press the other button that she tells you to push, the person on the other end figures you didn't want to talk to them and probably hung up already thinking what an @sshhole you are..

It is very annoying. Or maybe I am just a little too high strung and impatient. I get that a lot :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Mine has UConnect and its a pain in the @ss too. When you press the button to accept the call, the automated voice wont STFU. So by the time you press the other button that she tells you to push, the person on the other end figures you didn't want to talk to them and probably hung up already thinking what an @sshhole you are..

It is very annoying. Or maybe I am just a little too high strung and impatient. I get that a lot :)
My only complaint about the UConnect is the voice. I really don't need it to tell me how to answer the phone or listen to a text EVERY time I get one.

Other than that, I'm happy with my 430N.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
We've had the 430N in our JK for 4 1/2 years and no trouble with it. It's my wife's DD and I just asked her if the uConnect voice bothers her when she receives a call. She said it works fine. I guess we'll be keeping it, as there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the system.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
So...if I get the Alpine, do I need to have a Jeep service center flash anything so the rest of the Jeep can talk to it?

Or do I just find a reputable Alpine dealer and let them do it?

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I went with the 130 for a couple reasons. 1) I couldn't justify the $1,300 for a sound system that frankly, sounds no different, and 2) I can definitely think of better ways to spend 1k+ than a radio.... :happyyes:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the 430. I agree with everyone that the voice prompts are quite annoying, and very slow (especially when answering calls). I also don't really care for the user interface, it's not the most user friendly model I've encountered.

It does the job that it's designed to do, and the sound isn't horrible (with the Alpine system), but there are just so many better options in the aftermarket world.

I only got it due to the camera interface. I knew that I'd be putting in a back up camera, and needed a place for the display. Yes I could have done the same thing with an aftermarket set up, but I found this way to just be easier.

Exco

·
Registered
30 Posts
Imo, if all you care about is getting in your vehicle and getting to point B then the stock radio will be fine. If you want minimal intrusion, a half decent sounding system and don't want to feel overwhelmed with choices then the alpine upgrade is perfect. If you treat your stereo like the rest of your vehicle with mods and stuff then $1200 can go quite the distance in getting you a nice sounding system that might just trump the Alpine, depending on your ears discrimination for sound.

I myself had the 430 in my Rubicon for about two weeks after I bought it and the stock sound .....imo, sucked. To be fair I fall into the 3rd category. I didn't have the alpine upgrade and I knew at some point I'd be going aftermarket, so I can't comment on the sound quality of the Alpine upgrade. Thinking I might get away with keeping the deck and saving myself some cash, I replaced all the speakers to Infiniti kappas, amp'd them, and added 2 10s. That lasted a week before the sound drove me bonkers. To my ears the deck still sounded flat and muddied and no adjusting could fix it. The clunky interface was less than stellar as well. I then added the 4100NEX and noticed the difference immediately.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I followed pretty much the same path. I didn't get the Alpine upgrade because I knew I was going to be pulling the back seat and covering the cargo area with multiple mats. I thought I would would start by replacing the speakers, which I did before I even brought it home. Big improvement, but I noticed two things: the sound quality of Sirius was terrible compared to any other source, which wasn't that good either, and the bass was still a little light. So next I put in a Kenwood 893s HU and chose to drop Sirius. Sound quality took another quantum leap and the capabilities of this unit were vastly superior to the stock 130. Bass was still a little light, though, so I put in a pre-amp and subwoofer with an adjust button on my dash.

Would an audiophile be happy with my setup? I have no idea. But it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sound System Selection

If you like good clear Loud sound for any genre of music non of the factory options from Jeep will cut it. They are all just plan Garbage IMHO.
The Best after Market system available hands down is the Alpine Lifestyles System which is custom made for Jeep and is amazing but the sticker price is terrible. If Jeep keeps to the same Deck size you could reuse this Deck for years to come however. I suggest everyone check it out. Current Price is about $4000 Canadian for the Deck which does everything and integrates fully with your Jeep. Alpine | Jeep Wrangler Audio: Radio and Navigation Restyle System – X109-WRA
The Model for our Babies is X109-WRA and is currently on sale with Reverse camera addon.
I myself couldnt afford this option right now so kept the factory deck and worked all the magic behind the scenes. I replaced my 4 x 6.5" speakers with some quality 120w Audissons with high sensitivity and DB rating which are the two most important factors when choosing your speakers. I am powering them with a Pioneer 4 Channel 1000w amp. For Bass I like tight bass so went with a 10 inch Sub as 8s dont give enough punch and 12s and larger sound like wet farts alot of the time and are meant more for Hip Hop which I dont listen to alot of. My Sub is an Alpine 300w Sub I do believe and a bassworx sub bin and is powered by a Alpine Mono Amp with headroom to power a more hungry sub should I choose to upgrade.
Now obviously my comments are biased about quality as it is my system but the sound is crystal clear at high volumes and I could entertain a whole came site or beach part with loud tunes till the weee hours of the morning. You can hear me coming from a long ways away and driving on the highway with the top down doesnt dimmish the quality. I put all of the equipment in the secure trunk protect which I waterproofed.
As I wrap up this wrap up I think to myself what was the purpose. I guess the main reason is to let everyone know about the Alpine Lifestyles system and if you want to maintain stock look but have killer sound you can also do that.
Anyone in the Hamilton Ontario area who needs assistance I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

I have mixed feelings about the 430. I agree with everyone that the voice prompts are quite annoying, and very slow (especially when answering calls). I also don't really care for the user interface, it's not the most user friendly model I've encountered.

It does the job that it's designed to do, and the sound isn't horrible (with the Alpine system), but there are just so many better options in the aftermarket world.

I only got it due to the camera interface. I knew that I'd be putting in a back up camera, and needed a place for the display. Yes I could have done the same thing with an aftermarket set up, but I found this way to just be easier.

Exco

·
Registered
30 Posts
Incorrect Alpine system Mentioned

My apologies I mentioned an old model of the Alpine Restyle system. The Current model is X209-WRA and can be found here. X209-WRA ALPINE - 9 INCH AVN SYSTEM FOR 2011 AND UP JEEP WRANGLER | Alpine-Canada.com

If you like good clear Loud sound for any genre of music non of the factory options from Jeep will cut it. They are all just plan Garbage IMHO.
The Best after Market system available hands down is the Alpine Lifestyles System which is custom made for Jeep and is amazing but the sticker price is terrible. If Jeep keeps to the same Deck size you could reuse this Deck for years to come however. I suggest everyone check it out. Current Price is about $4000 Canadian for the Deck which does everything and integrates fully with your Jeep. Alpine | Jeep Wrangler Audio: Radio and Navigation Restyle System – X109-WRA
The Model for our Babies is X109-WRA and is currently on sale with Reverse camera addon.
I myself couldnt afford this option right now so kept the factory deck and worked all the magic behind the scenes. I replaced my 4 x 6.5" speakers with some quality 120w Audissons with high sensitivity and DB rating which are the two most important factors when choosing your speakers. I am powering them with a Pioneer 4 Channel 1000w amp. For Bass I like tight bass so went with a 10 inch Sub as 8s dont give enough punch and 12s and larger sound like wet farts alot of the time and are meant more for Hip Hop which I dont listen to alot of. My Sub is an Alpine 300w Sub I do believe and a bassworx sub bin and is powered by a Alpine Mono Amp with headroom to power a more hungry sub should I choose to upgrade.
Now obviously my comments are biased about quality as it is my system but the sound is crystal clear at high volumes and I could entertain a whole came site or beach part with loud tunes till the weee hours of the morning. You can hear me coming from a long ways away and driving on the highway with the top down doesnt dimmish the quality. I put all of the equipment in the secure trunk protect which I waterproofed.
As I wrap up this wrap up I think to myself what was the purpose. I guess the main reason is to let everyone know about the Alpine Lifestyles system and if you want to maintain stock look but have killer sound you can also do that.
Anyone in the Hamilton Ontario area who needs assistance I would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was on a tight budget due to having to purchase 2 new vehicles with in two months of each other. I needed the connectivity group as I am in sales. I also liked the secret cubby space which you lost with the Alpine upgrade. My main goal was to get a Jeep.

When I go to make a call and she says "Nancy's Phone" which I recorded, I ask myself, "do I really sound like that"? :rolleyes:

Reactions: X58DeltaDriver

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've had my 430n for 5+ years with no issues. Yes, the screen resolution is crappy and yes, I'm sure that your after-market head units have better sound output, but for my 64 year old ears, it's good enough. What the 430n offers that I need is the off-road navigation capabilities. The maps have >95% of the trails I've ever been on out here in the Western U.S., and usually have the USFS trail numbers, too. And the 430n allows you to upload unlimited numbers of waypoints and names in a single csv file. This is an advantage when you're going into new territory; I get every destination or fork in the road GPS coordinate in advance of my trip into an Excel spreadsheet csv file, upload it, and then I always know how many miles and time to the next waypoint. I pair this system with GAIA GPS software on my iPad mini and I always know exactly where I am; the 2 systems complement each other nicely.
So, no complaints about my 430n (other than the crappy screen resolution); the Eagles, Bruce, and the Beatles sound just fine coming over my kicker speakers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was on a tight budget due to having to purchase 2 new vehicles with in two months of each other. I needed the connectivity group as I am in sales. I also liked the secret cubby space which you lost with the Alpine upgrade. My main goal was to get a Jeep.

When I go to make a call and she says "Nancy's Phone" which I recorded, I ask myself, "do I really sound like that"? :rolleyes:

I thought the same thing!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What the 430n offers that I need is the off-road navigation capabilities. The maps have >95% of the trails I've ever been on out here in the Western U.S., and usually have the USFS trail numbers, too. And the 430n allows you to upload unlimited numbers of waypoints and names in a single csv file. This is an advantage when you're going into new territory; I get every destination or fork in the road GPS coordinate in advance of my trip into an Excel spreadsheet csv file, upload it, and then I always know how many miles and time to the next waypoint. I pair this system with GAIA GPS software on my iPad mini and I always know exactly where I am; the 2 systems complement each other nicely.
Jeez, it sounds like you are telling me to drop my lensatic compass...:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts