Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USB port in my center console. What will happen to it when I upgrade my head unit? The unit only has one port that will be used for my phone. I assume this port will no longer function but is there a way I can make it power only?

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
I'm not sure, but I should know later this weekend as I'm installing a new headunit and aim to keep it functional.

From reading threads in the audio forum, someone mentioned that there is a mini usb molex connector in the dash near the headunit. Unfortunately there weren't any pictures, so I don't know if it's male/female or has any requirements for sizing of the outer shielding. My hope this weekend is that I plug a mini USB cable from that to the new headunit, done.

I expect to find a solution, just may take a couple days to get the right combo.

Just in case, I bought a 10 ft USB extension, that plan to route into the console.

You could rewire that from a USB charger, but it's some hacking to get to a completion stage. At least the lighter plug power is a couple feet away for easy wiring.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure, but I should know later this weekend as I'm installing a new headunit and aim to keep it functional.

From reading threads in the audio forum, someone mentioned that there is a mini usb molex connector in the dash near the headunit. Unfortunately there weren't any pictures, so I don't know if it's male/female or has any requirements for sizing of the outer shielding. My hope this weekend is that I plug a mini USB cable from that to the new headunit, done.

I expect to find a solution, just may take a couple days to get the right combo.

Just in case, I bought a 10 ft USB extension, that plan to route into the console.

You could rewire that from a USB charger, but it's some hacking to get to a completion stage. At least the lighter plug power is a couple feet away for easy wiring.
Thanks for the reply. I hope you find it an easy thing to connect. Does your new head unit have a single or dual USB inputs?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I need to check if mine still has power. I put in a new HU as well. Mine HU has 2 USB that run off the back of the HU and I routed both to my glovebox. One for iPod and one for my USB stick.

I never gave the center console USB plug a second thought, but I too wonder if at least has power? Ill check later tonight. Would be good for charging my cell and not having to put the cell in the glove box to charge.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a USB port in my center console. What will happen to it when I upgrade my head unit? The unit only has one port that will be used for my phone. I assume this port will no longer function but is there a way I can make it power only?
This and a little rewiring might work.

transformer

·
Registered
22 Posts
On these when they come into the shop we use a Pac Audio USBCBL Flush mount usb. We flush that into the center console under the existing USB. The oem USB is proprietary to the factory radio. You can take it apart but it is a lot of work for what it is. Just get the pac audio piece and your good to go. Looks OEM when its installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts