Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I know this question has been asked in multiple threads (because I read them), but I haven't seen an actual answer. I have a 2000 TJ with all factory fenders & light housings. I just changed all of my exterior bulbs to LEDS. That is the 1.rear reverse 2.rear brake/blinker/running 3.Front running/blinker 4.Front Side running/blinker. Total of 8 bulbs. I installed the EP-26 Flasher Relay. All of my bulbs are functioning correctly.
MY PROBLEM IS: Both green arrows in my dash stay lit constantly when my running lights or headlights are on. Is there a way to prevent this from occurring, so that the green arrows only blink when the turn signal is on??

I get the feeling that if I put resistors in the front it may fix my problem, but I don't want to waste my money or time splicing in resistors if it is not going to fix the issue with the constant green arrow on in my dash.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the same problem I replaced my front fenders with tube fenders installed led side markers and cut led turn signals into my grill, green arrows are on and flicker some with lights on have been this way for almost two years now. I hope someone has a fix for this as I would like to fix mine also. Fingers crossed

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
My gut feeling is that the led's in the front side marker lights in the front flares are the issue. keep in mind that led's only work in one direction, and the way those side markers are wired, the oem bulbs are designed to work both directions for the two functions. They use a floating ground through the opposite wire, then through the light bulbs in the front fender. Try replacing just the side marker bulbs with the stock incandescent bulbs and see if that fixes the issue with your dash lights. If it does, you will have to do something else with your side markers to be able to run led's there.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I have the same problem I replaced my front fenders with tube fenders installed led side markers and cut led turn signals into my grill, green arrows are on and flicker some with lights on have been this way for almost two years now. I hope someone has a fix for this as I would like to fix mine also. Fingers crossed
Your issue is similar. If you are using two wire led's for side marker/turn signal lights, and want them to function as both side marker and turn signals, you will have to do the diode/resistor mod. Here's a parts list from Radio Shack (less than $10) and a drawing of how to do it. I housed mine in a little piece of plastic tubing and tie wrapped it to the harness on each side under the hood.

Jeep LED Front Marker/Turn Signal Light Modification Parts List

Radio Shack Numbers (quantity enough for two harnesses)

4 Rectifier Diodes #IN4004
2 560 Ohm ½ watt Resistors #271-1116
3 Colors 18 gauge wire
Solder
Heat shrink

here's how they will work when done. Notice that with the headlights on now the front and side blink together as opposed to opposite like they did originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NvVIrZrCE

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My gut feeling is that the led's in the front side marker lights in the front flares are the issue. keep in mind that led's only work in one direction, and the way those side markers are wired, the oem bulbs are designed to work both directions for the two functions. They use a floating ground through the opposite wire, then through the light bulbs in the front fender. Try replacing just the side marker bulbs with the stock incandescent bulbs and see if that fixes the issue with your dash lights. If it does, you will have to do something else with your side markers to be able to run led's there.
I actually tried this, putting the 2 x OEM 194 bulbs back in the front side markers....still get the green arrows in the dash with the headlights on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would one of these type resistors work? 8ohm 50w? If not which one?
If I wire one of these resistors in on each side, which light do I wire it to? The front OR the front/side OR one resistor for each. What color wires do I tap into?

If it goes to the front light, I think there is 3 wires going to the socket. Which wires do I tap? The ground and the running OR ground and turn OR inline? Color of wires to tap?

If it goes in the front/side light, I think there is 2 wires going to the socket. Does it go inline (color of wire?) OR tap into each wire?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
This might be another part of your problem,

LED bulbs pull much less amperage than incandescent bulbs. This means there is much less energy (Amps) being pulled through the circuit. I am not speaking of voltage, if they are lighting up, then you are at the correct voltage which should be about 12.5v. If the system you put the LED lights on requires a certain amperage to "Push" the power through the circuit, this may be causing a lack of energy to activate the flashing mode on the Turn Signal Indicators on your dash which in turn is connected to a flash relay module on the TIPM under your hood. (Where your fuses are).

The others are also correct, you need to make sure the power is running in one direction only for LED's hence the resistors. Water Dog gave all the parts to make sure you have the resistors installed correctly.

The first thing you should try, if you can, remove the LED's and try good Ol' fashioned incandescent. If you flashers work in the dash, you know its the LED's.

Then, try and wire it up like Waterdog said and test again. If you run into the same problem, this is going to take some serious effort on your part to fix as if you do not have the skill set, you are going to have to find someone to wire up a new turn signal system that is compatible with the LED lights...

Good luck !!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Start pulling bulbs and see where the actual issue is. It sounds to me like you have something in backwards. Are these front leds simply led bulbs or are they fixtures you wired in? If you leave bulbs completely out of the side markers, do you still have the arrows on when the headlights are on?

You don't need resistors for your front and rear lights if you are using a EP-26 flasher. The resistors are just to make the stock flasher see a load. The led flasher is designed without that need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I only have the rear taillight & reverse bulb being LED, I have no issues. When I add in the 2 front marker/turn bulbs 3157's, then I have the problem. The lights in the dash do blink when a turn signal is activated, but when no turn signal is activated the green arrow lights stay on solid green. I feel like it is not detecting enough of a load even with the flasher EP26 installed??

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
When I only have the rear taillight & reverse bulb being LED, I have no issues. When I add in the 2 front marker/turn bulbs 3157's, then I have the problem. The lights in the dash do blink when a turn signal is activated, but when no turn signal is activated the green arrow lights stay on solid green. I feel like it is not detecting enough of a load even with the flasher EP26 installed??
You cannot just add a side marker/turn signal led bulb because there is no dedicated ground in that fixture. When the turn signal is activated it grounds through the side marker wire and through the parking light (on the front fender lamp), and when the parking lamp is lit, it grounds through the turn signal wire and the turn signal lamp on the front fender. That is why when the headlights/parking lights are on and you turn on the blinker, the side marker turns completely off and on opposite of what the front fender is doing.

If you want to maintain leds in the side markers you will have to cut the leads to the (side marker) fixture, determine which lead goes to the negative side of your led lamp, and ground that lead. Then do the diode/resistor mod I posted above and hook it to the remaining hot lead on your side marker fixture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem fixed!!! I had some Ebay amber LEDS in the front 194 side markers and that seems to be what was causing my problem. I switched them out with a couple of better quality white 194's that I had laying around and the constant green arrows went away. Maybe the amperage pull for the amber LEDS wasn't high enough and with the new white ones it was. I don't know & to be honest, I don't care. It works fine. I will work on getting some amber LEDS just like the white ones that work without triggering the arrows.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their suggestions!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
only one side is showing green arrow

I wired these the poison spyder side markers and blinkers. Only one side shows the green arrow on dash and they are wired the same other then the diffrent blinker wires for left and right. The arrow only shows up when the parking lights are on. Blinkers work as they should any idea on why these are doing this? It is a 2006 jeep tj btw

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same green arrow issue after installing 2 wire LED's, pulling the incandescent bulbs from the side markers got rid of that problem for me. Now to figure out how to have led side markers ....maybe splicing into the original harness?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts