Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation:

Got the first Jeep (JKU) about two months ago. So far, going around town to get used to the way it drives, and going on trails, the farther the longer and more technical. Long term goal is being able to overland for a few days - but I'm not a camping aficionado, if a trip is longer than a day, I'd probably rather stay under a roof than in a tent.

That is to say, converting the Jeep to a full-time overlanding rig is a major overkill for me at this point. Another factor is that I haul stuff often, and I'd like to keep the interior as stock as I can, and remove and install whatever cargo rigging I use fast. And another is - sometimes it's two people crew, sometimes more.

When going offroad, all the stuff I have is packed into a few sturdy bags (about the size of the Jeep bag the vehicle came with), tied down with a cargo net (this one) and further tied down with ratchet straps. This way, it's guaranteed not to move or spill on rough terrain, but it's a pain in the butt to get to.

I wonder what do you experienced jeepers do to hold your stuff in and down. MOLLE? Containers? If so, plastic, or aluminum (steel would be too heavy)? Rails?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
We have a trailer hitch cargo rack and found that the rubbermaid stacking containers (4 across) fit perfectly in it. We've had it stacked 2 high (8 containers) on the highway with no issues with simple bungee cord

I wouldn't suggest rock crawling with a hitch rack but we've had one on for the mud trails with no issues. They do get messy though! Goes on/off in minutes.

One caveat... you can't open the back door with the rack on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a trailer hitch cargo rack and found that the rubbermaid stacking containers (4 across) fit perfectly in it.
I don't know when (if ever) we start getting so much stuff with us that the interior cargo area won't be sufficient anymore.

Those rubbermaid containers... What drives me nuts is that they're not square and leave a lot of useful space wasted. I understand perfectly well that they're made this way to be stackable when empty, but I don't care about this a single bit because even if the containers do go out of the jeep, they will still have all the stuff inside and will be stacked in the shop.

Hmm... that got me thinking. I use cardboard boxes (below) for storage, they work just fine stacked 9 high. Wonder how long they'll survive when constantly stressed - and if they won't hold, there's a heavier duty option available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts