Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey:While I was replacing the t-stat I noticed small specs of copper looking stuff in the coolant, the sun was hitting it just right or I wouldn't have noticed at all.I think I recall from long ago,is this some kind of stop leak additive for the radiator?This reminds me of an old house, you start at the door sills and chase the rot from there.:)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You can flush it out, but my 89 gets a brownish color in the expansion tank and it always has. It's never affected anything. I think it's pretty normal. Maybe some type of additive, who knows. Like I mentioned you can always flush it if your coolant is over 3 yrs. old. Don't be surprised if it comes back.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
copper color, just rust...

reflective and paste like, then it was prob. treated to prevent or clog a leak.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked with a local "old timer" he remembers it. It looks like copper dust, and it was used to plug leaking radiators. Another item on "gotta" have list, a new radiator, not the I wish I have list.Thank you all for taking your time to answer these questions, it's because of you guys I dare to tread where I haven't before on this mechanical stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
When you replace your radiator be sure to flush your engine well and when you add antifreeze, use distilled/deionized water to fill it up. That will take care of a lot of the corrosion.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the continued support from all of you.DesertTan thanks for the heads up on replacing it with the new one and flushing it out first.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Checked with a local "old timer" he remembers it. It looks like copper dust, and it was used to plug leaking radiators. Another item on "gotta" have list, a new radiator, not the I wish I have list.Thank you all for taking your time to answer these questions, it's because of you guys I dare to tread where I haven't before on this mechanical stuff!!!!!!!!!!!
yes,it is made to be left in to stop any future leaks...they still make it and also one with aluminum

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know harleydragon, as with alot of people, my wallet cant keep up with the need for parts at this time.Dont know how many PO'S the jeep has had but, they did just enough to keep it running, with whatever cheapist fix they could come up with by the looks of things.I can't wait till I have the basics fixed so my wife and I can put the lip stick and jewelry on( thanks for that one to jokerchief) we both like that expression.The stuff is working for now and I'm on the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts