Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running a TF budget leveling kit. I'm experiencing a lot of what I would consider bump steer based on people descriptions and it's just not handling the way I'd like it. As I posted in my low CoG thread I've been looking at several options. I think I've finally decided how I want to proceed.

Parts:
Teraflex 2.5in Sport ST2 Suspension System w/ 2.1 Falcon Shocks - JK 4Dr
Teraflex Falcon Nexus EF 2.1 Stabilizer (Stock 1-3/8in Tie Rod) - JL/JK
Northridge4x4 Grade 8 Hardware Kit - JK

Here's my question. My rear axle has already been brought closer to the front of the vehicle just with the spacers that came with the leveling kit. I've cut off about 2 1/2" on the factory rock rails to give more clearance but with a heavy load in the back I have rubbed when the suspension bottoms out or rolls.

Are new, longer rear control arms recommended to restore proper caster? If I do install pre-set longer control arms like the Teraflex Sport Control Arm Kit - Rear Lower Preset (2.5-3” Lift) will that restore proper caster? Do I need to worry about drive shaft length or pinion angle?

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
You don't get bump steer from a budget boost or leveling kit. You may have handling issues, but not bump steer.
The rear axle does not have "caster". You may need to worry about pinion angle for the rear axle, especially if you have an aftermarket drive shaft. But caster is not a thing for the rear axle. Also, while lifting does cause the rear axle to move forwards as the rear axle compresses it moves backwards. So lifting doesn't typically cause clearance issues when the suspension compresses. You may have issues from bigger tires if they are rubbing when the suspension compresses, but not from lifting. To combat the rubbing from bigger tires you typically add bump stop extensions.
You can add rear control arms that move the rear tires backwards but you would not do that for a small lift like you are running. That is usually a can of worms that gets opened when you have 3.5" of lift or more, and are running at least a couple of inches of bump stop extension out back. You sometimes also need to worry about it because you are running 37" tires or bigger.
I would read some of the threads on here about lifting, like the beginners guide to lifting.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

·
Registered
691 Posts
Save your money, skip the stabilizer and the bolt kit. If your stock stabilizer is not damaged, no need for a new one. Keep your bolts torqued properly and no need for Grade 8 bolts. I’ve used the Terraflex sports arms (all eight) in two different jeeps with 2.5”-3” lifts. Terraflex nailed it with these. Centers both axles and caster is in spec. Both jeeps I could drive 75+mph with just a finger or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! The more I read, the more I learn, the more questions I seem to come up with. After reading a bunch in that forum as well as other websites I was lead to believe that lengthening the control arms for the rear axles to recenter them in the wheel wells was something others had done. I see Metalcloak even sells a rear geometry correction bracket. But like you mentioned @GuzziMoto that's for people running tall lifts, not for a shorty like me.

After reading that thread again I think I'm going to make some changes to my plan and go with the following instead:

Teraflex 2.5" Lift w/ No Shocks
Yeti XD JK Trackbar
Teraflex Exhaust Spacers
Rancho RS62103 Geometry Brackets
Falcon 2.1 shocks

I don't need swaybar disconnects as I have a Rubicon. I only wheel 2-3 times a year so I'm not sure investing in longer control arms is worth the cost when I could instead use that towards a re-gear, but I am considering it.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Thanks for the advice! The more I read, the more I learn, the more questions I seem to come up with. After reading a bunch in that forum as well as other websites I was lead to believe that lengthening the control arms for the rear axles to recenter them in the wheel wells was something others had done. I see Metalcloak even sells a rear geometry correction bracket. But like you mentioned @GuzziMoto that's for people running tall lifts, not for a shorty like me.

After reading that thread again I think I'm going to make some changes to my plan and go with the following instead:

Teraflex 2.5" Lift w/ No Shocks
Yeti XD JK Trackbar
Teraflex Exhaust Spacers
Rancho RS62103 Geometry Brackets
Falcon 2.1 shocks

I don't need swaybar disconnects as I have a Rubicon. I only wheel 2-3 times a year so I'm not sure investing in longer control arms is worth the cost when I could instead use that towards a re-gear, but I am considering it.
Here is a place where you can put that package together. And Allen is a good guy.
https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspension-systems-lift-kits/Package-Suspension-Deals/Teraflex-1351002-RS9000XL-Caster-Correction-KJ-Combo
You can ask him about a forum discount.

As to sway bar disconnects, no you don't need them. But you may want them. People who wheel the Rubicons hard sometimes add them to allow you to completely disconnect the front sway bar. Or not. If you don't wheel it hard it may not matter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a place where you can put that package together. And Allen is a good guy.
https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspension-systems-lift-kits/Package-Suspension-Deals/Teraflex-1351002-RS9000XL-Caster-Correction-KJ-Combo
You can ask him about a forum discount.

As to sway bar disconnects, no you don't need them. But you may want them. People who wheel the Rubicons hard sometimes add them to allow you to completely disconnect the front sway bar. Or not. If you don't wheel it hard it may not matter.

His prices are pretty amazing to begin with and are much better than what I was getting by trying to cobble the system together myself. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts