Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on who's bushings to get (daystar, energy susp., oem)? My Jeep is not lifted, I just want to put new bushings in. I may look for a set of stock arms to put the bushings in then just swap out the arms.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If your at stock suspension height, the best bet is to buy new arms with the clevite bushing already installed. Places like Rockauto have them for cheap. The clevite does not last as long as the poly, but absorbs vibration better, for a better ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have a '97 TJ. Stock with the exception of +1" H&R springs and Bilstein 5100. I noticed both of my front control arms had a little play side-to-side, about a 1/16". No play front to back. Probably should plan on replacing them soon right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
autopc25 said:
Have a '97 TJ. Stock with the exception of +1" H&R springs and Bilstein 5100. I noticed both of my front control arms had a little play side-to-side, about a 1/16". No play front to back. Probably should plan on replacing them soon right?
If the control arm bushings are not flat against the mounting bracket, I would replace them.

Light Room Architecture

This is BAD

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Any opinions on who's bushings to get (daystar, energy susp., oem)? My Jeep is not lifted, I just want to put new bushings in. I may look for a set of stock arms to put the bushings in then just swap out the arms.
just buy a new set of stock control arms. the stock Clevite bushings are exactly what you want at stock height.

swapping the bushings out is a huge PITA and it's easier to replace the entire arm. in fact, whole new stock arms are not that expensive...check RockAuto Auto Parts

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the control arm bushings are not flat against the mounting bracket, I would replace them.

View attachment 175098

This is BAD
I should order and replace the arms then. What happens, do the rubber bushings shrink over time? Mine do not have as much space between the bushing and mounting bracket as the ones in the picture. Mine move about a 1/16" left to right inside the bracket. New arms with new bushings should fit inside the brackets snug right?

About how much time to replace them?

I also noticed a slight squeaking from my suspension after changing my shocks and springs. The springs lifted my height about 1"-1.25". Wonder if the slight lift changed the position of where the arms used to sit and caused the occasional squeaking? The squeaking use to happen more often and has almost stopped now?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The bushing don't shrink, they jusy wear away. Your jeep is 15 years old now and those rubber bushing are consonantly under friction when you drive down the road.
They are a simple bolt in replacement. You don't have to raise the jeep or anything, just do one at a time and rock the jeep to seat them in place. On the front lowers, be sure to mark the position of the castor.
Spay the bolts down with some PB Blaster several days in advance. The bolts can be stubborn and you may need a breaker bar to get them started. If they are really siezed, an impacst is of no use..you need leverage.
Doubt the squeaking is from suspension.. check transfer case linkage, transmission mount, front and rear driveshaft u joints.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
whats a "far better" arm for stock height?

·
Registered
175 Posts
david95xj said:
On rock auto how do you know which ones are "clevite" ?
Clevite are rubber bushings...They are all clevite unless they say polyurethane, which you don't want unless it incorporates a heim joint.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
whats a "far better" arm for stock height?
Well, unlike most, I don't consider height to be a deciding factor in the level of durability and quality one should go with, especially if you plan on ditching the stock belly skid and/or going with taller springs in the future. There are several good options out there and they all use Currie JJ's at both ends. Otherwise, stock replacement arms are what you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts