Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for new control arms and need a little advice I've been looking at currie arms but not sure should I get double adj. arms or not also need a HD tie rod and drag link any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I would combine what these guys said. Something with a JJ if you need double adjustable arms, but shoot MC an email or check the website, they should have doubles soon. The Duroflex joint is great.

Currie steering is probably the #1 for the basic stock steering setup conversion to HD right now unless you are looking to do a lot of custom stuff. Very strong, good ends etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys and imped your write up on the mc arms is going to have me doing some research next question is the double adjustment is it better or just a preference

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Having RH/LH threaded arms makes installation, fine tuning, and adjustment much easier and faster. Unless you've spent a lot of time setting up suspensions using single-threaded or single direction (RH/RH) arms, you really can't appreciate the difference.

I recently switched to custom RH/LH aluminum arms all-around. I highly doubt I'll ever switch back to single or RH/RH arms. With all of that said, single-threaded are not difficult to use or setup.....very easy, actually. And when it comes to tightening down jam nuts, you can't get any easier than having one jam nut to crank down on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks imped I figured it probably made fine tuning easier I just second guess my self a lot when it comes to my jeep I'm no where near the experience a lot of you are but it sure helps being able to ask you guys as always thanks I'm sure I will have many more questions in the near future

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Metal Cloak Duraflex joints are the way to go, and soon they will be offering double adjustable. Quite a few people I wheel with have switched out from Currie joints to MC duroflex units and will never go back. The joint ends IMO are more important than being single or double adjustable. IMO having double adjustability is more of a gimmick than a need. I've have used both, both adjust quickly in reality and the difference in time is negligible.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I've have used both, both adjust quickly in reality and the difference in time is negligible.
So have I and I disagree.

How is it a "gimmick" if people have been building control arms and other things (such as sway bar links, track bars, tie rods, drag links, etc) that way forever and ever? Long before Savvy started offering RH/LH ("double adjustable") arms people were building them that way for good reason. I just dealt with fine-tuning my front end last night to take advantage of some new gains in up travel. The ability to watch the axle move and rotate in real-time is very worthwhile.

If the OP won't be doing higher-level stuff and adjusting minute details then it's probably not going to make any difference at all. But for some of us, the difference is definitely there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With single adjustable if a nut comes loose they will not adjust themselves. Just my .02

Metalcload duraflex is the way to go, the ride is so much better.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
With single adjustable if a nut comes loose they will not adjust themselves. Just my .02

Go take a rig with double adjustable arms and loosen the jam nuts on an arm and try to adjust it. You won't get much adjustment before they bind. The only time what you're suggesting would be an issue is if multiple arms loosened up enough to the point where they could adjust without binding. If that happens, you have worse problems and should probably stop working on your own vehicles.

Having a jam nut loose is still a bad thing, but the problems coming from that will show up on either kind of arm.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Its a good point, and has been discussed in the past. But one thing that's not mention is that when using double adjustables, you now have 2 threaded ends. I personally am not worried about an arm "readjusting" itself if it gets loose, what I am worried about though is damage to the threaded ends if a jam nut does come loose, especially if aluminum is involved. Single adjustable arms are going to be stronger and only have one threaded end to worry about.

IMO the difference between double adjustable and traditional single adjustment arms is one single bolt in terms of adjustment. It takes me less than a minute to pull a bolt.

So IMO if I had a choice on choosing arm arm based on the joints used, vs. double/single adjustable.......the joint is what really matters on the arm.

Originally I wanted double adjustable. Now to me its a gimmick or feature that is pretty low on the list of what I look for with control arms. Maybe that will change if I go the custom route like Imped.....but for my SA setup its a non factor and completely uneeded.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have been using Dble adj Savvy arms with MC ends for over a year and have never had a jam nut come loose. I don't think if you tighten them well you will have anything to worry about . In the beginning I didn't think the double adjustable was any great thing but.... being a person who can't leave things alone I now feel it is a very good thing to have.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

And if a jam nut came loose on a single adjustable arm, how long do you think the threads would last before they stripped out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts