Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. How can I tell if I need a rear sway bar?
2. What brand name would you recommend for rear upper and lower control arms? I have seen Moog Crown Dorman Detoit Axle. I want a set that is comparable to the stock I have.

I don’t have a lift and the tire are the standard size P225/70R 15.

Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you have severe body roll a sway bar will firm up the ride. A stock TJ should have a rear sway bar. Stock TJ arms are cheap garbage and buying replacements is just throwing money away. Look for a set with bushings at each end to buy a better stronger arm that is not going to break the bank, Core 4x4 is a good place to start with their tier 1 arms.

·
Super Moderator
6,771 Posts
some 4 cyl TJ's came with no rear sway bar but its a good idea to have one. even hard core rock crawlers run rear sway bars as they are beneficial in nearly every scenario

Stock TJ control arms are better than a majority of the aftermarket arms as most budget arms are solid and dont have a flex joint which transfers stress to the control arm mounts where OEM arms allow some flex in the arm themselves. if you dont plan on lifting it theres no reason to spend more than $30 on an arm. AC-Delco or Moog are both solid options and rock auto has great prices.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you everyone. I realized that I didn’t explain myself with the sway bar. The Jeep has a sway bar back and front. I was wondering what is an indication that the sway bar needs replacement.

I don’t mind expending the extra bucks for a good set of arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L 5spd Money pit Green
391 Posts
The bar in and of itself "usually" doesn't require replacement.....it's the bushings at the frame mounts and the sway bar end links that should be replaced as required. The arms? I'll take mine that have some flex to them......just keep in mind the "flex" is not breaking things.

·
Super Moderator
6,771 Posts
if you're sticking to stock size theres no reason to upgrade the arms. if you want to go up 2.5-3" or more then adjustable arms with a flex joint on at least 1 end is beneficial, like Core4x4 tier 2 arms. steer clear of poly. if you want to keep building and the idea of a lift and tummy tuck are in the plans than it may be beneficial to go with a double adjustable arm with johnny joints at both ends. note, not all flex joints are the same, Johnny joint is the top dog and the one that most of the others are trying to duplicate.

·
Super Moderator
15,996 Posts
If staying at stock height and no lift, you can buy all 8 Moog from Rock Auto for around $200. And sway bar bushing, the Moog upgraded bushing is $13 each. I would suggest swapping them all out for a complete refresh.

Reactions: DynoMax Exhaust

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run Core L2 arms, but only because I've got a slight light and didn't know if I wanted to go higher. If you are certain you are staying stock height then just go with the Moog's or similar - you'll see no benefit from switching to a zero flex arm, and arguably will be transferring flex (that the factory control arms inherently have in them) to another portion of the suspension/frame that wasn't intended to take it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts