Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Wrangler with those annoying 15 gallon fuel tanks that at times makes me visit the pumps every other day. I know 5 gallons isnt a whole lot at 17 mpg, but an increase of 33% sounds great to me.

So my question is... is it possible to switch to the newer 20 gallon fuel tank? and if so how hard is it to do?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
go to local auto parts store, buy 5 gal. jerry can, buy really cool bumper, for jerry can spare tire, hi lift jack, attach to jeep, drive around!!!

im not really sure how to do the switch, but to me it would seem like osmething too hard to do and i would think you'd lose some ground clearance, but maybe there is a write-up soimewhere or someone else has experience, i just dont think its worth the money to buy the new tank and then the effort to get it in there, but you do what you want to do, and when your done, do a write-up for anyone else who may wan tot do it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
15-20 gal

I have not done it myself, but I believe there is a way to get a 20 gal tank without changing parts. I copped this online a while back. I am planning to do this. I have a much more detailed word doc but don't know how to attach. It is more involved, but still very doable. The write up below does touch on the high spots. 2 biggest issues is disconnecting the fuel lines and dropping the tank. Here 'tis:

Here's how to "enlarge" your TJ gas tank, written by Ian Zavatkay:

Take down the tank and gain access to the top. Unscrew the sending unit/pump/filter and pull it out. It holds about a litter of fuel inside to keep the pump cool, so lift it straight out and tilt
it back into the tank.

The column is more like a telescoping unit. It can slide up or down. Tabs on the side allow it to click in two positions. 15g and 20g. Sliding it down lowers the intake of the whole
assembly, where before it sat about 4.5 inches above the tank bottom. The float acutally drops because of this making the whole system fairly accurate now.

I don't know about yours, but my fuel gauge lied all the time. Empty ment I had 4 gallons left and it would always drop hard on the last quarter. Now it's consistant all the way through.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not done it myself, but I believe there is a way to get a 20 gal tank without changing parts. I copped this online a while back. I am planning to do this. I have a much more detailed word doc but don't know how to attach. It is more involved, but still very doable. The write up below does touch on the high spots. 2 biggest issues is disconnecting the fuel lines and dropping the tank. Here 'tis:

Here's how to "enlarge" your TJ gas tank, written by Ian Zavatkay:

Take down the tank and gain access to the top. Unscrew the sending unit/pump/filter and pull it out. It holds about a litter of fuel inside to keep the pump cool, so lift it straight out and tilt
it back into the tank.

The column is more like a telescoping unit. It can slide up or down. Tabs on the side allow it to click in two positions. 15g and 20g. Sliding it down lowers the intake of the whole
assembly, where before it sat about 4.5 inches above the tank bottom. The float acutally drops because of this making the whole system fairly accurate now.

I don't know about yours, but my fuel gauge lied all the time. Empty ment I had 4 gallons left and it would always drop hard on the last quarter. Now it's consistant all the way through.

Yeah If I fill up when the light comes on, I will get 11-12 gallons in it. If you can attach the word doc in an email and email me I would greatly appreciate it, I am going to be replacing the fuel pump assembly soon anyway I believe, so this is something I oculd do in the process.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I read somewhere that all YJ and TJ tanks are 20 gallon tanks to save chrysler money. They said that if you modify the filler neck on the 15 gallon tank, then it becomes a 20 gallon.

Any comments?
Thats what I heard.

~Lev

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
X2 anyone got any suggestions or threads?

·
Registered
24 Posts
ditto

the write up in the 4-point's hyper link matches the write up I have pretty closely. now I don't have to figure out how to add an attachment (yet)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts