Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started by removing the ol POS brake pedal and plugging the holes.

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Water Asphalt

I used a 3/4" nut & bolt for the floor and 2 extra hard top retaining bolts and the original pedal assembly nuts that held it to the firewall. I also added a cut piece of a sump hose I had laying around as a seal, to prevent water or exhaust intrusion.

Road surface Font Asphalt Circle Tints and shades

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood

Wood Grey Automotive tire Road surface Tints and shades

Road surface Grey Asphalt Art Soil

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door

To remove the cable, start by pulling the 3/4 rubber plug through the floor by reaching up into and behind the wheel well.

Wood Floor Tints and shades Ceiling Water

Once out, you'll need to pull it through the frame. Pulling from front to back felt impossible to budge, so I disconnected the "skinny" end from it's mount just above the transfer case skid plate. Then pulled it from back to front... EZ

Wood Automotive tire Electrical wiring Wire Cable
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Electrical wiring Gas

Attachments

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reattach the cable to the tcase bracket and re-engage the catch spines holding the cable in the mount. you may want to skip reinstalling for now, as I later found out it's much easier to install the fender well end first, then reroute back to here.

Wood Coil spring Gas Automotive tire Electrical wiring

Find a good route for the cable to now aim toward the rear wheel well. I secured it for now with a short piece of plumber tape and self taping screw.
Plan is to use some conduit retainers later.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey

The rubber floor plug can be drawn father down the cable by simply twisting it left while pulling back on it.

Automotive tire Tread Sleeve Dress Gesture

The handbrake should arrive Tuesday.

More to follow.

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following where are you putting the handle?
Between the door frame portion of the tub and the driver's seat. I run soft doors, so should be plenty of room there.

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same spot in my plan as well. I have a console and cup holder between the seats so that area is a no go.
Nice hardware. I do like that the cable attachment remains under the tub.

I began test fitting this evening. Cable end will enter via wheel well, just behind and run under the seat belt reel, avoids having to drill through the heavier roll bar plate.

The boot is an added bonus, will hide the gnarly looking hardware and and otherwise exposed cable.

Added a stack of washers under the bracket at the 2 rearward bolts to allow the lever to be level with the door frame when in released position. Mostly for aesthetics.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Wood Fixture Gas Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

May fine tune the centering but, for now my hand has plenty of room and this avoids having to alter the seat raise lever for the boot to clear.

Bumper Hood Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material

Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber Bumper

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now to drill, route cable and figure out a splice of cable between the two ends.

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hole drilled and cable routed in to cab. (about 5/8") I simple used the underside mount hole to gauge how deep to run the step bit.

I will add, it's much easier to completely dismount the entire cable then attach through newly drill hole THEN route the cable back around and through the retainer bracket above the skid plate.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Once finished, I intend to bed liner spray my wheel wells since they literally disintegrated back when I was installing the fender flares.

Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Floor

Automotive tire Grey Wood Art Font

· Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Finished:

Drilled out the cable retainer from the POS foot brake mechanism, added a bolt.

8.5" of 3/32 steel cable, and cable ferrule (hammered flat on anvil) between the 2 ends.

Road surface Asphalt Wood Sidewalk Concrete

Reattach brake lever to mounting plate and retainer to main cable.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive lighting

Key point on this cable end... you want to pull some of the slack into the cab before measuring the cable between it and the lever. Start by running the slack completely out of the adjuster bolt under the cab.

Gas Concrete Composite material Soil Automotive tire

The one I started with (11") did not allow for being able to take up enough slack at the adjuster underneath. Which caused way too much upward travel in the brake handle, leaving it just over the seat bottom height.

I came back with a shorter cable (about 8ish inches), pulled up the slack in the main cable, then adjusted from under the cab.

Result: now I only have to pull about 4 clicks upward on the handle, and it stays lower than the seat bottom height and out of the way for entering and exiting the seat.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Snug everything up, re-tighten/adjust the cable tensioner underneath.

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Vehicle door Wood

Reinstall seat belt. Perfect fit for the boot, and hides everything.

Install the boot... added a couple small self tapping screws through the base/foot of the boot to secure it to tub floor.

Door clearance.

Wood Sleeve Auto part Fender Vehicle door

1 - 8 of 8 Posts