Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Jeep Wrangler
2.5L 5 speed
putting on 4" rough country lift

I'm buying a 4" lift for my YJ soon and instead of getting another pitman arm for a manual gear box I'm just going to throw some money at it and convert it to power.

I know I need:

A pump
new gear box (mine is worn out anyway)
pressure hose
return hose
and a reservoir

I was wondering for any of you technical jeepers out there if there is anything else to this other then the obvious, and If I'm diggin myself into a hole I wont get out of haveing to change other stuff I'm not aware of.

I've priced everything out and between the pump the gear box and the return hose, I'm only out around $200. I cant find a reservoir though online, havent checked the parts stores yet, but if its hard to find online, its usually a disaster having napa or baxters auto track one down.

Any input would be greatly appreciated before I buy the wrong lift in a couple weeks, and if you have a spare reservoir you might want to get rid of, I'd think about buyin it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I did the conversion on an S10. You will also need a longer serpentine belt. The S10 also had a fluid "cooler" which was nothing but a hard line that passes in front of the radiator and back. It was easier than I thought it would be. EBay might be a source for a reservoir. I was fortunate to have a complete parts truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did it on my 92 th 2.5 it isn't as hard as it looks maybe the hardest thing was replacing the pully and alining the stearing weal good look

·
Registered
458 Posts
You may need a new belt mabe not.I did not. Pump, reservoir,both hoses, and gear box. Also after looking at junk yards I realized the Cherokees 90's have the same pump and reservoir that I have. My setup came from a 4.0 wrangler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts