Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have alloy wheels (Canyons) on my 4cyl TJ. The TJ's look is green/black and I've got a chance to get some AR767 black steel wheels for a good price.

Why should I stick with one vs the other? The AR767's weigh about 23 lbs each, but I don't know the Canyon's weight. My Canyons have a LOT of rock rash on the lip from my wheeling, so I'm wondering if steel wheels would be good or bad..

Convince me one way or the other which one I should go with...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
pros:
for your jeep, black steelies will really tie in the whole look
i'd rather bend/scratch a $35 wheel than a $100 wheel
steelies are cheap
steelies are inexpensive
steelies do not cost very much
you can get steelies for a good price
the steelie price fits the WAF way more than an alloy
cons:
they may weigh a little more than an alloy, but how much are we talking here?
they may bend easier

in short, get the steelies. if one bends (which is not as common as it's made out to be)...$35 and you have a new one.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I KNEW you'd have something to say about it, Mr. Allblack Jeep. :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Steelies arent garunteed to not be out of round new, they balance hard, bend easy, and usually dont last more than a year of hard wheeling w/o bending. Not to mention you got a 4 banger, and probably want as least rotational weight as possible.

Look into black aluminium wheels.
You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I just got some craiger soft 8s on my 4cyl. very happy with them it feels a little different driving w/out the alloys on but I'm very satisfied and at 190 shipped for 5 wheels who wouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Take steel wheel and lay on driveway, take aluminum wheel and lay next to steel wheel, now take 5lb sledge and hit edge of steel till it bends then turn over and bend it back, do same on aluminum wheel, clean up aluminum chunkis and pieces. Then decide which you would rather have on the trial after bending it on a rock.

If you still want aluminum go with MT HOT FORGED aluminum, those you can bend back.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I like the comparison rich.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
two didgets $39 (each wheel, if you didn't know)

·
Registered
150 Posts
you could buy the wheels ship them to my house and I will test them out and do a write up for you and post it, along with some helpful information lol :rofl:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
ya I found a special deal online, sorry I did a misquote on that price...it was actually broke down to $32 each and 30 for shipping on all five. so $190 for everything. I will check my link and get back to you in a few min.

and yes 15X8

·
Registered
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
www.summitracing.com sells crager soft 8s in the 15x8 flavor for $39 each. i paid $34 each for mine from there about a year ago. not surprising as steel has not exactly been going for bargain prices these days.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
in my experiance with summit, they're shipping is a little outragous. I got my wheels within a week and a half after I ordered them and you denfinately cant beat $30 for shipping on the whole order. for those of us who shop online ya'll know what I'm talkin about.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Screw the shipping, go check out a few of your local stores. You may find they are pretty competitive.
There are certain things I will buy on line, others I won't. Anything heavy with killer shipping I get locally. I bought my warn bumpers for two TJ's for the same price that quadratec had minus about $50 shipping from a local 4x4 shop. They even matched my blue mountain jeep membership discount.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You guys are forgetting the bigest difference:

Stock wheels= stock offset
black wheel= sit out further with different offset.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
so that means you can get wider tires! lol:D

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I have both. I have my factory Moabs and some el cheapo black steelies. When I wheeled with the Moabs on I always worried about rock rash and knowing that if I ever destroyed one I'd have to pay out the arse to get a replacement. Now that I run 99% of the time with the steel wheels I don't worry about it. I figure for the price of one Moab I can have 4 steel wheels. I say if you wheel your Jeep (which you do) then you can't go wrong with the steel.

Oh and Chad, you can get a steel wheel in any offset you want. Even the same offset as your factory wheels. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts