Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about making the change from a YJ to a TJ...

For any and all that are seriously contemplating this course of action. I hear why I should keep my YJ in YJ sections......but what are reasons why someone should swap it and get a TJ?

What year do you prefer?
Which do you despise?
Best package? Sport, X, Rubi etc..

So I say again...
Convince me to buy a TJ:firedevil:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Drive one for the answer :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well much nicer ride shocks coil springs round headlights I had 2 yjs before this tj 92 and 95 now a 97 I would go tj. I think in 99 they changed the motor only had my 97 for 6 month make sure u go with 4.0 better resale.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm thinking about making the change from a YJ to a TJ...

For any and all that are seriously contemplating this course of action. I hear why I should keep my YJ in YJ sections......but what are reasons why someone should swap it and get a TJ?

What year do you prefer?
Which do you despise?
Best package? Sport, X, Rubi etc..

So I say again...
Convince me to buy a TJ:firedevil:
If you need convincing keep the YJ. Simple.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It seems every wrangler has outdone its predecessor in the past. I was hatin on the JK wranglers until I drove one and seen one leave me behind on a trail in two wheel drive. I drive a TJ and it's still my favorite of the jeeps due to it's simplicity and style. Get one cause it never hurts to upgrade.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you need convincing keep the YJ. Simple.
You're missing the point. Its not that I need convincing to make the switch..
I just want to hear from actual TJ drivers the pros of owning one.

I've been in YJ forums/threads for the past year. I only looked at TJs to pass time/checkout cool builds. I'd like more information on them directly from TJ driver's. Especially like ones who had made the switch themselves from a YJ

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
I've had a 99 and now have an 03 Rubi. Go newer dude. You're going to have it a while. Can't give you more pros or cons than that, but I had alot of problems with my 99. My 03 has been perfect. Could have just been that Jeep though. TJs are pretty darn similar across the years.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what were some of the problems with the 99?

if money weren't an issue I'd get the biggest Rubi money could buy.
Right now I'm lookin to grab one between 8-11,000 Willing to go up to 13 if the deal is right.

I'd like to get one with a lift kit already installed as a way to sort of "trick" the girlfriend into- it came that way ! Bought as-is! :D

EDIT: There's a place that specializes in Wranglers close to me. They offer adding on a 2" Skyjacker lift for $395. Not a bad option for a Jeep that has no lift. Some of them have 31s with no lift.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts

if money weren't an issue I'd get the biggest Rubi money could buy.
Right now I'm lookin to grab one between 8-11,000 Willing to go up to 13 if the deal is right.

I'd like to get one with a lift kit already installed as a way to sort of "trick" the girlfriend into- it came that way ! Bought as-is! :D
I bought an 03 rubi for 12500 and sold the hard top for 1000 now Ive got just hte soft top. go that route if you can! get the rubi! .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

:D
There were no problems with the '99. Probably the biggest change in TJ's came in '00 when they went to the distributorless ignition system. Plug wires were eliminated, it's a coil on rail. I don't think there is any advantage with either system. I've heard some of the '00 and '01 motors may have had a bad head casting, prone to cracking, but IMO the problem, if there was one was overblown.

I've driven in my friend's YJ's, and the TJ's, because of the coil springs offers a better ride. Having said that, I also love the YJ's.

In your price range you should be able to find a very clean TJ. Like others have said, get a 4.0

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought an 03 rubi for 12500 and sold the hard top for 1000 now Ive got just hte soft top. go that route if you can! get the rubi! .

That's a pretty good idea. I'd have to find one that comes with both. I just keep searching ebay/craigs practically 4 times a day. As well as Autotrader. No carmax though eff them :flipoff:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When looking for a TJ, where should I draw my limit as far as mileage goes?
It will be a DD not just a trail rig. I've been making an invisible line at around 115k as my highest mileage

I know the old adage, it depends on how well it was taken care of... for arguments sake lets say it was moderately cared for by the p.o.

The tricky part is finding one with over-sized tires. Just got to keep my eye open everyday.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.