Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wiring 4 lights to my bumper and wondered if anybody had any neat tricks for making the wiring look good. I have a smittybilt bumper and it doesn't have anywhere to run wires inside it so they have to run on the outside. Anybody able to send me some pics of what you have done to wire yours up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't have any pics but the cleanest way is just using wire loom to conceal and protect the wires and then use zip ties to fasten to different spots on the bumper. You can buy this at Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement shop. There really isn't much you can do about this but the object is really to run it behind or the on the back of your bumper or pillars so you don't see it much.

Perhaps someone will post up with better ideas but typically this is all I have ever seen.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Go to Radio Shack, Lowe's, or Home Depot and buy some black plastic "wire loom". Once you get the wires connected and spliced so they are bulletproof, slip the wire loom over it and either use 3-4 wraps of black electrical tape every 6" or so to keep it shut, or use nylon zip ties. Use a couple layers of heat shrink tubing over your splices before placing the wire loom over the wire. Wire loom is split along its length so you slip it over the wiring from the side. The stuff looks good and will blend right in against your black bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They make zip ties also with eyes on them so you can mount them using self tapping screws. With electrical runs the old saying is "pretty goes along way"

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
They make zip ties also with eyes on them so you can mount them using self tapping screws. With electrical runs the old saying is "pretty goes along way"
They also make zip tie mounts that stick on with double sided tape. I've used them in computer builds for quite a while now, and I've installed a few XM radios and used them to keep the antenna wire tidy. I get mine from Lowe's. You can get them in black. They're 1 inch square and handy as hell.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292685-1781-45-1MBUVL_0__?productId=3128405&Ntt=cable+tie+mount&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcable%2Btie%2Bmount%26page%3D2&facetInfo=

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I have a sackful of those stick-on cable tie attachment points and they are great inside a computer chass or other clean smooth surface but I've never had luck with them sticking for very long anywhere on/in a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have a sackful of those stick-on cable tie attachment points and they are great inside a computer chass or other clean smooth surface but I've never had luck with them sticking for very long anywhere on/in a Jeep.
I haven't had one let loose yet, but they've been used on highway vehicles. I clean the surface with an alcohol wipe before sticking it down. I just noticed they have 2 holes, so you could screw them down if need be.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Instead of using plastic wire loom use "fishing rod sleeves". They can be ordered in any color and UV resistant. Cut the length that you need and either use a heat gun or fold the ends back into the loom for a nice set, zip tie the ends. To really finish it off use heat shrink around the loom ends. A lot of us bass boat guys have been using this stuff for years on our fish finders to clean up the wiring. This guy is a sponsor on a bass fishing page that I frequent...good guy, prices are great. ROD SLEEVES - SCOTT'S ROD SLEEVES Most of you will want the "casting" rod sleeve as its smaller in diameter vs the spinning is larger in diameter.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I like the look of the braided sleeves. I've sleeved computer cables and they turn out nice, but the stuff can be a pain when you cut it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I wish I had this sucker this week, I ran more wires and re-ran more wires (when they were wrong) than I care to count. I'm buying one...hell, I'm buying two cause I know me and I'll loose the first one!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Changed bumpers and postion of fog lights and use a blue colored loom any auto parts store should have them and in different colors!

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
^^^^ with a 50' minimum order from these guys, we could have one person place one 50' order and group buy for all of us here on the boards :rofl:...... I'll pass and buy from the fishing forum member.... $7 for 6' and flat rate of $5 for shipping, a lot better deal.:wavey:
My mistake for not realizing that 85 cents a foot was not as good as $2.16 a foot.

It never dawned on me that folks buy less than full boxes since I have a full box of most of the sizes of the high temp split loom. Oh well, at least you know where to get a bunch of it now.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My mistake for not realizing that 85 cents a foot was not as good as $2.16 a foot.

It never dawned on me that folks buy less than full boxes since I have a full box of most of the sizes of the high temp split loom.
Its actually a pretty good deal in my opinion:thumb:, at .22 cents a foot/100' min its 22.00 a box plus shipping on 5/8th stuff. At O'Reilly's today i saw 6 foot for 6 bucks. and six foot doesn't get to far if you are running custom wires along fenders and firewalls.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Go to Radio Shack, Lowe's, or Home Depot and buy some black plastic "wire loom". Once you get the wires connected and spliced so they are bulletproof, slip the wire loom over it and either use 3-4 wraps of black electrical tape every 6" or so to keep it shut, or use nylon zip ties. Use a couple layers of heat shrink tubing over your splices before placing the wire loom over the wire. Wire loom is split along its length so you slip it over the wiring from the side. The stuff looks good and will blend right in against your black bumper.

i got some of this stuff. if you have black bumper and a red,yellow,blue etc. jeep it might look pretty cool if you picked up some Krylon and spray painted this casing the same color as your jeep.instead of trying to "hide" the wiring try making it stand out.if anyone tries this please post some pics. my jeep is black on black

·
Registered
496 Posts
They also make zip tie mounts that stick on with double sided tape. I've used them in computer builds for quite a while now, and I've installed a few XM radios and used them to keep the antenna wire tidy. I get mine from Lowe's. You can get them in black. They're 1 inch square and handy as hell.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292685-1781-45-1MBUVL_0__?productId=3128405&Ntt=cable+tie+mount&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dcable%2Btie%2Bmount%26page%3D2&facetInfo=
these work for a bit but eventually come loose.sticky becomes not so sticky eventually especially when exposed to the elements

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Ok Kevbz, I'll ask. What is that "sucker"?
i saw it on the website black majic suggested. Its a wire loom feeder. it opens the loom as you run it through it and it lays the wire in.

I just spent all weekend tidying up wires and opening the loom was a pain in the butt!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts