Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 00 TJ, 131k, 4.0l auto. Coolant has to be added every couple days, but no visible leaks. Last month - new rad, thermo, cap, n hoses. Still using (to somewhere) about cup of coolant every couple days or so of running. But no leaks. And, after adding, upon chking next day or so, "extra" is now in overflow tank! Tank is now overfull. Chged top hose to overflow n tightened to no avail. But never coolant back when it gets a bit low! I've heard it could be any/all of following: heater core (had luke warm heat last yr...back flushed, good heat now), freeze out plugs?, cracked head? Not necessarily in that order. Anyone else with same symptoms? Ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Get an exhaust gas check run on your coolant. Will be able to determine if you have unburned hydrocarbons in your coolant telling you if you have a blown head gasket or cracked head-the lack of heat makes me suspicious that may be the issue. I think you may be able to get a kit at auto parts store to test coolant for hydrocarbons as well but not sure

Don't rule out a leak either-you may not see it on the ground. Parts stores rent a tool to pressurize the system so you can check for leaks

·
Registered
646 Posts
i agree with AU on the test kit. However, a crack in the head will show some sort of obvious sign like either white smoke coming from the tail pipe, or as soon as you start it up from cold the temps will reach above 210 in a few minutes. but it wouldn't necessarily mean the engine will run like crap.

btw, were you filling it up while the engine was running?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did you burp the system when you replaced the radiator? You could just be working the air bubbles out, causing your levels to drop.

Are there any distressing symptoms, other than coolant loss? I think if you had a cracked head or blown HG, you would be aware by now. Overheating, coolant in the oil are the most obvious.

Definitely pressure test for a leak, some don't present themselves until you are at op temp, so you may not see them when parked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think i hear you saying that you are adding coolant every few days. Are you adding it to the radiator or the overflow? I'm concluding that you are actually taking off the cap and adding to the radiator since you are saying that the overflow is now overfilled.

Your cooling system is designed to draw the coolant back in as the engine cools. I'd speculate this isn't happening. However it sounds like your radiator cap is expanding and allowing the hot coolant to go into the bottle.

I would replace your radiator cap first. Then, if that doesn't do it you will want to look at the bottle where the hose connects and look for some kind of crack in the little nozzle or the 3/16 hose from end to end. Almost sounds like the cap is either blocking the overflow during cool down or the rad is suckling in air due to a leak in the hose.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i hear you saying that you are adding coolant every few days. Are you adding it to the radiator or the overflow? I'm concluding that you are actually taking off the cap and adding to the radiator since you are saying that the overflow is now overfilled.

Your cooling system is designed to draw the coolant back in as the engine cools. I'd speculate this isn't happening. However it sounds like your radiator cap is expanding and allowing the hot coolant to go into the bottle.

I would replace your radiator cap first. Then, if that doesn't do it you will want to look at the bottle where the hose connects and look for some kind of crack in the little nozzle or the 3/16 hose from end to end. Almost sounds like the cap is either blocking the overflow during cool down or the rad is suckling in air due to a leak in the hose.
Omg where would I be without this forum! Chged the "new" cap from 2 mos ago to a "new, new" one, turns more to lock down now n wha-la! Think problem is solved!? Still smell coolant once in awhile while motoring. Will check core drain soon, n prob press test system. Thanks to all

·
Registered
301 Posts
Omg where would I be without this forum! Chged the "new" cap from 2 mos ago to a "new, new" one, turns more to lock down now n wha-la! Think problem is solved!? Still smell coolant once in awhile while motoring. Will check core drain soon, n prob press test system. Thanks to all
Glad you got that issue resolved cheeply!. The coolant smell - I would validate your carpet on the passenger side is not damp from a possible heater core leak. If you are smelling it inside your car then there's a chance there's actually coolant inside your vehicle.

If you have any doubts about your coolant system save a ton of headaches and rent a pressure tester. If that needle doesn't hold firm then you are leaking somewhere. Methodically examine/stare at every hose connection point while pressurized. You will eventually see the leaks. If you are using those screwdriver worm clamps I'll bet you'll find you are leaking at those spots. Those things do not work on these 18lb cooling systems. You want the spring clamps that come stock.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you got that issue resolved cheeply!. The coolant smell - I would validate your carpet on the passenger side is not damp from a possible heater core leak. If you are smelling it inside your car then there's a chance there's actually coolant inside your vehicle.

If you have any doubts about your coolant system save a ton of headaches and rent a pressure tester. If that needle doesn't hold firm then you are leaking somewhere. Methodically examine/stare at every hose connection point while pressurized. You will eventually see the leaks. If you are using those screwdriver worm clamps I'll bet you'll find you are leaking at those spots. Those things do not work on these 18lb cooling systems. You want the spring clamps that come stock.
OK good info thanks loads. Will do Sunday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts