Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walked in and wanted coolant in my local Napa store. I know the sales guy since I was his neighbor a couple years back and he helps me a lot. Gives me advice and whatnot.

This time he was telling me about coolant mixture. Its called Zerex Regular Green. He says to put one gallon of this and close to two gallons of distilled water. Now, my FSM says that I need 10.5 qts of 50/50. This doesn't add up.

What do you all think? Is this safe...I drive in weather that reaches no more than 90 and no less than 60 degrees, however I did overheat doing up hill to 3000 feet and in the process of changing out my cooling system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Grab a bottle, and look at the mixing chart on the back for the proper water/coolant ratio for your climate's temp range.

Keep in mind, straight water has better thermal transfer properties than straight coolant. The coolant lowers the freezing point, raises the boiling point, lubes the water pump and keeps corrosion at bay.

For NJ, with 0-100 temps seen throughout the year, 50/50 is the only way to go.

Regardless, if you're cooling system is up to snuff, you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It depends on someones meaning of "close"! 1 gal of coolant + close to 2 gal of water = close to 12 quarts. 10.5 quarts might be considered "close" for 12 quarts by some?!? only a quart and a half difference...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
;) Keepit simple, I just use Prestone 50/50 and never worry about water !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha you guys can stuff it.... The snow in your driveway!!! Haha jk. Ok I'll just put in the coolant and water mixture i already have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts