Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma/question. I have a 2012 JKU and I was checking my coolant level this morning. I am about 1/4" below the Minimum line so naturally I wanted to top it off. However when I shine a light in the reservoir the coolant looks purple, which is OAT. My model year calls for HOAT in the manual. I bought it used and quite frankly do not trust that the dealership did anything fluid wise to it.

My question is, after researching I cannot find a consensus on how to determine what coolant I have in there. I am going to siphon some out but some places say do not trust the color once you do. I have an idea of what I want to do but before I spend money to have it flushed and filled I am researching this in depth. Part of that research is bouncing it off the forum to get some ideas. Leave it alone at 1/4" below the minimum line(Never Runs HOT) or start with a fresh batch of coolant is my dilemma. :confused:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
+1 for Distilled water you may test your coolant for density. From my experience adding 1/2 quart of distilled water wont noticeable change the proportion.

Don't go by color, OAT/HOAT looks the same under certain conditions.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Most articles describe FCA's switch to OAT as occurring in MY13. So most articles and your manual seem to favor HOAT.

They say the cooling system was designed for the intended coolant, so you would need some advanced insight to deviate from HOAT. Maybe some of the MY12 vehicles made an undocumented switch to OAT (but don't count on it)? Maybe FCA OAT works in HOAT vehicles (but don't count on it)?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a dilemma/question. I have a 2012 JKU and I was checking my coolant level this morning. I am about 1/4" below the Minimum line so naturally I wanted to top it off. However when I shine a light in the reservoir the coolant looks purple, which is OAT. My model year calls for HOAT in the manual. I bought it used and quite frankly do not trust that the dealership did anything fluid wise to it.

My question is, after researching I cannot find a consensus on how to determine what coolant I have in there. I am going to siphon some out but some places say do not trust the color once you do. I have an idea of what I want to do but before I spend money to have it flushed and filled I am researching this in depth. Part of that research is bouncing it off the forum to get some ideas. Leave it alone at 1/4" below the minimum line(Never Runs HOT) or start with a fresh batch of coolant is my dilemma. :confused:

·
Registered
929 Posts
By looking at that video I'de say your safe my friend, consequently I just did my coolant change on my 2014 JKU what a pita, wouldn't wish it on my worst friend. The place of the release valve is just asinine as I have a stubby bumper and it's very hard to reach even with a wrench or vise grips..ugh my hands and neck are killing me...time for a cold one.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I changed my coolant, went from some orange color stuff, to using the green (prestone green) and I been running green coolant in every thing I own

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I had this same issue. No way could I tell which color it was, nor could people I brought samples to - not sure if it changes color over time or what. Two of the people I showed it to kept saying it's easy and talked about whether or not a light was shining on it, etc. When I gave them a jar of it, they frowned...

Ultimately I paid to have it flushed and now I just put modern fluid in. Well worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had this same issue. No way could I tell which color it was, nor could people I brought samples to - not sure if it changes color over time or what. Two of the people I showed it to kept saying it's easy and talked about whether or not a light was shining on it, etc. When I gave them a jar of it, they frowned...

Ultimately I paid to have it flushed and now I just put modern fluid in. Well worth it, IMO.
It is, will be getting mine flushed by dealer.

No way I would ever go back to the old green prestone, it is a huge step backwards that will need to be changed every 30,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
OP - from reading your post, you give the impression that the coolant in your Jeep has not been changed since the Jeep was new. If it is HOAT, which has a 5 year life, they your coolant is overdue for a change.

Since you are unsure, I would recommend a complete drain double flush and refill of a coolant that you are sure of.

Reactions: AZweddo

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO, your best option is to flush and refill with the recommended coolant. If you want a short term fix, just add distilled water to bring it up to the proper level. That way you’re sure that you aren’t mixing incompatible coolants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 for Distilled water you may test your coolant for density. From my experience adding 1/2 quart of distilled water wont noticeable change the proportion.

Don't go by color, OAT/HOAT looks the same under certain conditions.
dwtgolden-That's way I was leaning honestly.

Lemotan- Thanks. It may have HOAT in it but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I guess making it easy to figure this out is out of the question!!:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OP - from reading your post, you give the impression that the coolant in your Jeep has not been changed since the Jeep was new. If it is HOAT, which has a 5 year life, they your coolant is overdue for a change.

Since you are unsure, I would recommend a complete drain double flush and refill of a coolant that you are sure of.
It may have been changed by PO but I cannot find that out. I don't trust the dealership I bought it from to have done the right thing either. Drain and flush is on the horizon.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It is, will be getting mine flushed by dealer.

No way I would ever go back to the old green prestone, it is a huge step backwards that will need to be changed every 30,000 miles.
Other than the maintenance interval, which is no big deal to me, how is it a step back?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
726 Posts
Other than the maintenance interval, which is no big deal to me, how is it a step back?

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The fact that it breaks down faster which leads to sludging. That’s why its a step back.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I disagree, otherwise all used vehicles would have "sludge" issues.
I personally never changed coolant in time in the past, (when it was 2 years requirement) keeping my cars for 4-5years and selling them with factory coolant in them.
I never mixed coolants though, adding or distilled water or OEM coolant.
IMO "sludge" comes from
A. mixing different type of coolants
B. Coolant additives aka "stop leak"
Changing coolant to something else isn't a bad idea especially if its sold let say at Walmart then you can find your coolant type literally everywhere.
All "good for" 10 years fluids are not logical when radiator, hoses, T-stat and other components needs to be replaced before that.
Again there is nothing bad in OEM OAT, but there is also nothing bad in "downgrading" to HOAT or IAT.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You really should change it anyway, as it has a five year service interval. For some reason my Jeep always wants to run slightly low. It stays there for months. I add some, it drops right away, and then stays slightly below full. Weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vehicles that call for Extended Life Coolant should NEVER be filled with Green Coolant (Ethylene Glycol)!
It has silicates that are not compatible with parts of newer cooling systems. It will eat the seals and produce problems. I learned this the hard way!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Vehicles that call for Extended Life Coolant should NEVER be filled with Green Coolant (Ethylene Glycol)!
It has silicates that are not compatible with parts of newer cooling systems. It will eat the seals and produce problems. I learned this the hard way!
All coolants are based on Ethylene Glycol (EG) or something simiilar like PEG.
(IAT. OAT, HOAT) additives are for corrosion control

1 - 20 of 39 Posts